Probably a stupid question

TRection

Arachnoknight
Today i installed white plastic vents to the side of my tanks but i dont like the way the white stands out, is it safe to color them in with a black sharpie? i know sharpies are non-toxic but i figured i would ask just in case :)

H3nry

Arachnopeon
I would make sure the sharpie is fully dried on the vents before reinstalling the vents if possible just to make sure

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I would make sure the sharpie is fully dried on the vents before reinstalling the vents if possible just to make sure
Oh, I was thinking the point of using a Sharpie was to do it in situ.

If OP removes them first -- I'd go for spray paint (and also let it dry and cure a week or so)

Bug master

Arachnopeon
Today i installed white plastic vents to the side of my tanks but i dont like the way the white stands out, is it safe to color them in with a black sharpie? i know sharpies are non-toxic but i figured i would ask just in case :)
Yep

TRection

Arachnoknight
Oh, I was thinking the point of using a Sharpie was to do it in situ.

If OP removes them first -- I'd go for spray paint (and also let it dry and cure a week or so)
I took your advice and i removed them and just spray painted them black instead of using the marker, it looks far better now :) thanks

TRection

Arachnoknight
Non-toxic to whom.... ;)
Well i honestly dont know about T's but if they are non toxic to dogs, cats, rabbits and humans (and i assume other animals) i would also assume Ts, especially once its dry shouldn't have any ill effects. But i went with spray paint instead anyways so it doesn't matter anymore :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well i honestly dont know about T's but if they are non toxic to dogs, cats, rabbits and humans (and i assume other animals) i would also assume Ts, especially once its dry shouldn't have any ill effects. But i went with spray paint instead anyways so it doesn't matter anymore :)
Toxicity tests are not done with other animals in mind typically, just something to remember.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I dislike marker fumes -- gives me a headache.

But I am the queen of black spray paint -- I just let it cure a week outside with excellent ventilation before bringing it in.

If surface is washed well free of any oils, etc., before painting -- the results can be amazing.

I bought my cats a combo Booda scatching post/trackball toy back in 1994 -- and for some reason -- Booda seems to think we want bright primary colours or hot pinks/neon greens in our living rooms. Ugh. I didn't wanna look at that!
Before even using it; I cleaned the post well and got out my handy black regular spray paint (not paint especially made for plastic or appliances either --regular spray paint) and papered/masked off the sisal roping (also removed trackball itself -- not the built-in track) -- and it stood the test of time - 23 years! Cannot even guess at the thousands of hours a multi-cat household used that trackball and scratching posts. I finally tossed it about 3 months ago because I didn't feel like re-wrapping new sisal rope on it... again. It had 1 tiny scratch showing the original blue after all those years of heavy cat use.
I cannot imagine T legs or fangs making any dent in a vent. Just... air it out first and let it cure well. (I consider it cured when I can't smell it anymore -- figure it's completed off-gassing by then).