Price differences between US and EU

sasker

Arachnoprince
I live in Plovdiv. This city has officially something about 370,000, but it is the capital of the district bearing the same name. I am not sure how many people live here exactly, but many people from the district work and spend most of their time in the capital.

Edit: the entire district has 683.027 inhabitants. I stand corrected. Very sharp, Chris :D

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
Indeed. Here in Bulgaria there are only a few pet shops that sell tarantulas. In my town (about 750,000 inhabitants) there are exactly two such pet shops: the first one has 1 N. chromatus (for about 75 dollars :meh:) and the other shop has a few more, but the shop keeper has them more for himself than for the customers as no-one buys them (except me and he cuts me a good deal because I am the only one interested in them :)). It will be impossible to buy an H. maculata by accident here.
Yes, I know no petshop with T´s, so it can not happened that someone without experince is passing by it and will want to buy it. Or get an idea to keep tarantulas. And, of course, no newbie questions like here :) You can buy H. maculata, price is about 4-5 USD, but you have to be active and go to one of any shows and it usually means that you are from comunity, no one can get ther accidentaly :)

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I live in Plovdiv. This city has officially something about 370,000, but it is the capital of the district bearing the same name. I am not sure how many people live here exactly, but many people from the district work and spend most of their time in the capital.

Edit: the entire district has 683.027 inhabitants. I stand corrected. Very sharp, Chris :D
Bulgaria is beautiful :) I have never been in your part of the country, but I´ve visited Sofia, Blagoevgrad and Melnik. The Rozhen monastery was especially interesting for me. I do speak Serbian, but I had hard time understanding Bulgarian, but I did learn you call shoes "ubuvki". That´s my favourite word in Bulgarian!

sasker

Arachnoprince
Bulgaria is beautiful :) I have never been in your part of the country, but I´ve visited Sofia, Blagoevgrad and Melnik. The Rozhen monastery was especially interesting for me. I do speak Serbian, but I had hard time understanding Bulgarian, but I did learn you call shoes "ubuvki". That´s my favourite word in Bulgarian!
I like it here as well, especially the weather and the wildlife here. I am originally from the Netherlands so I was very happy to find wild scorpions, mantids, turtoises and green toads (Bufo viridis) here. My wife goes mad whenever we are out for a hike as I am always flipping over rocks in search for something interesting :D

I also like the Bulgarian word for sport shoes: маратонки (maratonki).

boina

Lady of the mites
In general, I believe the hobby in places like England, Germany, and a few other countries is far beyond the hobby here in the US. The hobbyists in Europe seem to focus more on breeding than the hobbyist here do. But, overall, I believe there are more keepers in the US. So I believe it really comes down to supply and demand.
I somehow very much doubt that, the idea that in Germany the hobby is far beyond the hobby in other countries as well as the idea that there are more hobbyists in the USA than in Germany.

Germany is a smaller, but densely populated country, so in an area of less than Texas in size we have 1/4 of the population of the USA. And the thing is: Everyone and his uncle keeps tarantulas. It's extremely popular around here. I live in the middle of nowhere, in one of the least populated places in this country with no large cities in sight but I personally know 5 breeders in small towns in a 50 mile radius around where I live and there are many more who keep tarantulas without breeding.

But keeping and breeding in Germany suffers from a lack in comunication - and the will to listen to new ideas and concepts. I think by now Americans and Polish people are better.