Price differences between US and EU

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
Breeding GBBs is a long drawn out, time consuming process...if they were an easy breed, we would see more of them and the price would come down....but when people put in the time they do, its gonna result in higher prices...couple that with a constant and consistent demand as CEC mentioned, and GBB is one T I wouldn't expect to just get cheap.
You sure? We have every week shows where you can buy GBB slings from 8 USD, female 2" about 45 USD. Also, it is always meeting point for all breeders, so you can see their webpages and agree on offer in advance and only pick up goods there. Including enclosures. For example, I sent request for glass terra for Pokies, cm 35*35*45 (14x14x18), price is 25 USD, I take it there three days later.

So, I do not think that breeding GBB would be so hard. But when people are willing to pay so much... Also, where do you buy spiders? Because when I read here about petshops, I am always surprised. No pet shops here sell spiders. If they sell any lizards or snakes, it is always several times more expensive than at show. This is why no one would buy tarantula at petshop, they sell for much higher than they buy. So, do not buy at petshops, but visit shows and buy from breeder directly.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
I checked youtube and at Prague we have twice a month this show:

You can get there everything from plants to rattlesnakes and crocodiles. You do not have similar meeting points at your country?

sasker

Arachnoprince
I have another theory. Many European breeders are located in eastern Europe (like Poland) where the costs of living are much lower than in western European countries. For them, it is much easier to compete by lowering their prices than in the US. Considering that the EU is a common market, breeders in other countries can do nothing else but to lower their prices as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but life in the US is much more expensive than most eastern European countries. Overhead costs for breeders in the US is therefore also much higher overall.

cold blood

Staff member
You sure? We have every week shows where you can buy GBB slings from 8 USD, female 2" about 45 USD. Also, it is always meeting point for all breeders, so you can see their webpages and agree on offer in advance and only pick up goods there. Including enclosures. For example, I sent request for glass terra for Pokies, cm 35*35*45 (14x14x18), price is 25 USD, I take it there three days later.

So, I do not think that breeding GBB would be so hard. But when people are willing to pay so much... Also, where do you buy spiders? Because when I read here about petshops, I am always surprised. No pet shops here sell spiders. If they sell any lizards or snakes, it is always several times more expensive than at show. This is why no one would buy tarantula at petshop, they sell for much higher than they buy. So, do not buy at petshops, but visit shows and buy from breeder directly.
have you actually bred GBBs? Im guessing not.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
have you actually bred GBBs? Im guessing not.
I do not do it because I do not like the work with the smallest one. Too much of nothing :) I prefere buying 5-10 small slings and selling juvenile. But my friends do breed GBB, I have slings from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
I have another theory. Many European breeders are located in eastern Europe (like Poland) where the costs of living are much lower than in western European countries. For them, it is much easier to compete by lowering their prices than in the US. Considering that the EU is a common market, breeders in other countries can do nothing else but to lower their prices as well.

Correct me if I am wrong, but life in the US is much more expensive than most eastern European countries. Overhead costs for breeders in the US is therefore also much higher overall.
Yes, but is is valid for proffesional breeders. For example, some come from Poland very often and their prices are not so low. The best prices are from people who are mating (?) tarantulas as their hobby and do it only to get back some costs. I have no income from sold juvenile, I usually sell them very cheap only to get back money spent for crickets and light and heating. So, no money from it, but also no costs :) A lot of people do it in this way and they always have better prices than people who have breeding as a bussines.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
I got my 3rd molt GBB sling for 250czk (around 8£) here in Czech rep. I am glad that we have so low prices here otherwise I couldn't afford to buy any Ts whatsoever. :rofl:

Edit: Sorry I messed up. I actually was for price of 300czk (10£) I was ordering bunch of animals from that guy, and I somehow got lost in prices.

Last edited:

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
I got my 3rd molt GBB sling for 250czk (around 8£) here in Czech rep. I am glad that we have so low prices here otherwise I couldn't afford to buy any Ts whatsoever. :rofl:
Hallo from Prague :) Can I aks from whom do have the sling?

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
@PetrZ Just compare the price of GBB with other common popular species. Slings cost 3 times more than B. hamorii for example.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
@PetrZ Just compare the price of GBB with other common popular species. Slings cost 3 times more than B. hamorii for example.
5th molt, price 10-12 Euro. The same price as GBB... Also, for this price I bought C. versicolor. I see no difference.

Pokie11

Arachnosquire
That's quite expensive hamorii. I am more used to prices like 4 € / 100 czk (for 4th molt).
Me too, thats the price I got mine hamorii few years ago. But prices may differ depending on who you buy from.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

While what you said is interesting and, definitely the truth (I mean, when you say that in the Eastern part of Europe life cost less than in the Western part) we need to consider that, 'historically' (arachnids talking, eh) Poland, Hungary etc are a 'recent' wave. In fact, Germany was at the top, and for decades - notably, the 'commie-free' part of Germany, not the DDR - because when Hungary, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania etc were under the commie-grasp and the whole USSR 'influence' I bet my manly parts that no one was breeding/selling T's back then.

Obviously, years turned decades, slowly. Things changed and, today (thankfully) those nations aren't anymore the ones of before but instead brand new, 'vibrant' ones.

I don't want to derail this in politics, don't get me absolutely wrong, man, but IMO it's a fact to consider if you ask me.

As for a 'USA VS - a single European nation life at 360° costs' - I tell you, I'm impressed by, under a certain extent, how much Italy is more high priced when it comes to certain, and absolutely necessary, things like gas, electricity etc

dord

Arachnopeon
100$ for a juvie GBB? Thank goodness I got mine for 55$, I should go back to Twin Cities Reptiles and get the rest... :troll:

thevez2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In general, I believe the hobby in places like England, Germany, and a few other countries is far beyond the hobby here in the US. The hobbyists in Europe seem to focus more on breeding than the hobbyist here do. But, overall, I believe there are more keepers in the US. So I believe it really comes down to supply and demand.

PetrZ

Arachnopeon
In general, I believe the hobby in places like England, Germany, and a few other countries is far beyond the hobby here in the US. The hobbyists in Europe seem to focus more on breeding than the hobbyist here do. But, overall, I believe there are more keepers in the US. So I believe it really comes down to supply and demand.
As I can see, it is absollute different attitude. I am starting to understand why we get into conflict with OW for begginers and why at some countries are people so carefull and in some are so "careless" :)

sasker

Arachnoprince
As I can see, it is absollute different attitude. I am starting to understand why we get into conflict with OW for begginers and why at some countries are people so carefull and in some are so "careless" :)
Indeed. Here in Bulgaria there are only a few pet shops that sell tarantulas. In my town (about 750,000 inhabitants) there are exactly two such pet shops: the first one has 1 N. chromatus (for about 75 dollars :meh:) and the other shop has a few more, but the shop keeper has them more for himself than for the customers as no-one buys them (except me and he cuts me a good deal because I am the only one interested in them :)). It will be impossible to buy an H. maculata by accident here.