Price differences between US and EU

carterxwr

Arachnopeon
Anyone else notice some pretty big price differences on specific species between NA and EU? The one that really sticks out to me is C. Cyaneopubescens. Juvies in the US are going for 100 dollars and up where as I'm seeing them sell in the UK for example for about 40 pound.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Just browse the spidersworld in USD and weep. B. klaasi sling for less than $10??? Come ONNNNN.

Last edited by a moderator:

carterxwr

Arachnopeon
Just browse the spidersworld in USD and weep. B. klaasi sling for less than $10??? Come ONNNNN.
Holy cow those are INSANE prices. I could probably save money on some of my orders even though it would have to come from overseas.

Last edited by a moderator:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Holy cow those are INSANE prices. I could probably save money on some of my orders even though it would have to come from overseas.
Right? They have Xenesthis immanis slings for $57. Cheapest I've seen X. immanis priced is $125 here in the states.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I thought that GBB would be relatively cheap in US as more popular species. But after looking at couple sites it looks as if they charge more in US for the hobby classics. An adult female GBB will cost you £60 in UK.

The price gap is closing slowly over past couple of years. Ts are getting a little more expensive here and a little cheaper stateside.

carterxwr

Arachnopeon
Right? They have Xenesthis immanis slings for $57. Cheapest I've seen X. immanis priced is $125 here in the states.
RIP my wallet, go
I thought that GBB would be relatively cheap in US as more popular species. But after looking at couple sites it looks as if they charge more in US for the hobby classics. An adult female GBB will cost you £60 in UK.

The price gap is closing slowly over past couple of years. Ts are getting a little more expensive here and a little cheaper stateside.
Hopefully things will balance out. Most species I keep seem to be at least double the price over here. Oh well, I can't put a price on the happiness that this hobby brings me.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron

I hope

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
You can get af GBB's a bit cheaper than £60 here, especially on forums. £35-50. TSS have a few juvies @30 and had an Af couple weeks ago for £50

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
On that forum there's about 3 or 4 main guys who are breeders sellers, their prices are pretty much the same. All offer shipping etc, just have to keep an eye out for what you want. I was showing you the forum, it may be helpful saving you some money when looking.

Swede Baboon

Baboons are life
Sidenote: when you check spidersworld.eu dont use their currency changer or what to call it.

Check their prizes in zloty (zt) and use an online currency converter.

Saves you more money ;)

keks

Arachnobaron
As I read here, the import of spiders to the USA is extremely expensive. I don't think, that it would be a lucrative purchase for you :(.

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
I feel like the price difference could be due to popularity. GBB, for example, I assume is priced so high here in the states because they are one of those in demand species. I assume also that the tarantula hobby itself may not be as popular here as opposed to in Europe and other countries.

Those are just what I like to tell myself to justify buying a $100+ USD spider lol

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Anyone else notice some pretty big price differences on specific species between NA and EU? The one that really sticks out to me is C. Cyaneopubescens. Juvies in the US are going for 100 dollars and up where as I'm seeing them sell in the UK for example for about 40 pound.
Don' forget the pound to dolled conversion ,,,,not sure current exchane but I always calculate at 2 to 1

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Yes they ship all around the world, as long as temperatures are good for shipping
They will... BUT for any Americans reading, I highly suggest against buying from anyone outside of the US if you don't have an import license, the correct shipment paper work, fees paid and have a "port of entry" near you to pick up the package after it has been inspected. All of that you'll quickly realize why it's not worth all the money and headache to buy legally from outside of the US unless you are buying thousands worth for resale. Our strict and costly import laws are the MAIN reason our prices are so much higher than EU. Our import laws and penalties are also a big deterrent of smuggling in new species.

To answer the old question on this thread... The reason why common species like GBB keep their value is simply because of supply and demand. They have always seemed to be a newbie favorite and the breeding successes here have not kept up with the demand.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
The difference in centipede prices between the U.S. and Europe is even worse. A 20 dollar centipede her can go for 100 in Europe, but the opposite is also true. In the case of pedes it depends on how easy it is for people to either catch them in the wild or breed them. Unlike with T's there are very few people who breed centipedes in captivity so their prices can fluctuate massively based on location.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
The difference in centipede prices between the U.S. and Europe is even worse. A 20 dollar centipede her can go for 100 in Europe, but the opposite is also true. In the case of pedes it depends on how easy it is for people to either catch them in the wild or breed them. Unlike with T's there are very few people who breed centipedes in captivity so their prices can fluctuate massively based on location.
Yeah we have Scolopendra heros over here so its kinda a trade off.

cold blood

Staff member
GBB, for example, I assume is priced so high here in the states because they are one of those in demand species

Breeding GBBs is a long drawn out, time consuming process...if they were an easy breed, we would see more of them and the price would come down....but when people put in the time they do, its gonna result in higher prices...couple that with a constant and consistent demand as CEC mentioned, and GBB is one T I wouldn't expect to just get cheap.