1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

Preuss Pets in Lansing, Michigan

Discussion in 'Petstore Reviews' started by JayzunBoget, Feb 18, 2008.

1. JayzunBoget

JayzunBoget Arachnobaron Old Timer

Advertisement
    Positive!!!
    First, let me state that I work at Preuss. It's prob'ly not completely legitimate for me to review because of that, but I am also a customer and have bought most of my t's there. Hopefully some of my customers will read this and sound off to lend this thread some extra credibility.
    Preuss' tends to keep a fairly nice variety of tarantulas on hand. To give current examples, they have T. blondi, M. robustum, V. roseus, C. fimbriatus, B. annitha, B. smithi, Cyriopagopus sp. "Blue", P. irminia, E. cyanognathus just to name some.
    They take the time to try to offer education on any of the animals they sell. They also take an environmental approach towards exotic animal husbandry and try to explain the importance of mimicking some of the aspects of their native environments.
    I, myself, as an employee, am trying to enrich this aspect of the hobby of exotic pet keeping at Pruess by trying to bring together a community of tarantula lovers with events such as "Tarantula Nights" or when Stan Schultz, the author of "The Tarantula Keepers Handbook" came for a book signing/discussion night.
    So, tho' I will openly admit my personal bias, I have never been to a pet store that had the kind of selection, assistance, and sense of community that Preuss has.

2. HollyLS

HollyLS Arachnopeon

Preuss Pets....

I would agree 100%. Lucky for me, I live just blocks away from Preuss Pets. They are definitely the "go to" place! A lot of chain stores have employees that don't know a G. rosea from a Daddy long legs much less how to care for them......the Preuss staff are very knowledgeable people and you'll always get good advice from them on keeping your new pet healthy and happy.

Not only are the employees knowledgeable, but the animals (everything reptiles, fish, birds... not just Ts) are extremely well taken care of, properly housed and fed. All the enclosures are nice and clean. Preuss Pets clearly takes pride in their work and in the health of the animals they sell.

TWO BIG THUMBS UP!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Holly

3. Rochelle

Rochelle Arachnoprince

Preuss' Pets is the ONLY pet store that I have ever walked into and did not smell ANYthing.... Extra amazing when you realize how MUCH is in that store. It's like going to the zoo.
    The staff are beyond compliments. They are specialized to their areas of Animalia in the store; but are still happy to help you out in another.
    They are stocked on everything that a T. or bug keeper (or anything else, for that matter) could ever need. Their prices are more than fair.
    I can't recommend them high enough.

4. 7mary3

7mary3 Arachnodemon

Preuss is a great shop. They've got an incredible variety of EVERYTHING short of dogs. Anything else, they've got it or can get it. All of their staff is extremely knowledgeable and friendly. And while yes, Jayzun does work at Preuss, he's not giving a biased review. Jayzun and some of the other guys at Preuss got me into the hobby and were much more helpful than they needed to be when I had questions starting out. I've since taken the time to educate myself mostly through this site, as well as Stan's book, and I can really appreciate the knowledge these guys have here. Now when I go into Preuss (which between my 8 other roommmates and myself is daily), I'm no longer asking quesitons, but talkin Ts. And they're always more than happy to do it. They're really into this hobby to help further it and spread knowledge, instead of trying to turn a quick buck. Their prices on the Ts themselves are a little high, but when you factor in shipping costs to buy from anywhere else, then you're breaking even. And personally, even if I was paying a bit more when taking shipping into account, I wouldn't mind. Having the knowledge and friendship available is most definately worth the extra buck or two. Two thumbs way up to Preuss, you guys do great work all the way around.

-Ryan

5. Rochelle

Rochelle Arachnoprince

A GIANT Thank You and a Curtsy to Rick Preuss and JZBoget for having my T's as their "co-stars" on their TV show last week!!!
    :worship: :worship: :worship: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    I felt so HONORED.
    Thanks again!
    (now I have to convince Marilyn, Elvira and Lucille to give me their autographs....lololol{D )
    ~Rochelle

6. gbbgirl

gbbgirl Arachnoknight

I :worship: Preuss too, especially the Reptile room

When is the next Tarantula night? I gotta a lotta new Ts to show off {D.

7. JayzunBoget

The next Tarantula Night is June 8th so bring all your tarantulas to show off and compete for the titles of "Biggest", "Most Colorful", "Friendliest", and "Most Unusual".
    It will be a night to remember, so don't miss it!

8. Rochelle

Rochelle Arachnoprince

Thanks go to Rick, Jayzun, Micheal and the rest of the staff at Preuss for the awesome T. night! Even with a tornado going on outside and most of the city and surrounding towns out of power for days afterward.....no one seemed to notice! Now THAT is a great time, at a great store.
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

9. Necrosis

Necrosis Arachnopeon

heck yea we love pruess pets we got all 3 of our t's from thier wont go anywere else

10. Mina

Mina Arachnoking Old Timer

Positive!!

I just went there for the first time over the weekend, and I was impressed!!! Its a big, beautiful store, all of the animals were healthy, active, and very clean!! They didn't have a lot of Ts right at the exact moment but I'm also sure they got cleaned out over Christmas.
    Their fish tanks are amazing, and they have stunning birds!!! They even have a giant koi pond right in the middle of the store with a wooden bridge over it, and the biggest pond fish I have ever seen!!!
    It was wonderful and I would have enjoyed it even if I hadn't found some great arboreal tanks, (which I did).
    I can't wait to be able to go back!!

11. IrishKnight

IrishKnight Arachnosquire

sounds awesome! are there any Preuss Pets stores in california??:drool: :confused:

12. nope, family owned and operated. but youre more than welcome to come out its wort the trip :D

i Too work at preuss pets but had been going there for my supplies and such for much longer than i have been an employee. now ive never bought T's from them but i have purchased my fair share of equipment and food supplies and i must say the selection is second to none. i was just at a LPS this evening to check it out and the store was huge but had absolutely nothing to offer as far as pets. not only did they have a crappy miniscule reptile department that was no bigger than a front facing rack at the top of an isle, the set ups were pathetic. and funniest part about it, none of the LPS near Preuss even carry T's anymore, becuz no one can compete with the selection and knowledgeable staff at our store.

i'd give an A+++ on the overall of Preuss Pets from the first day i found the store, and forever more.

13. I have been in the area for a long time. I have checked out many pets stores and there is nothing that competes with preuss in really anything. when it comes to animals there really isn't any better place to buy things then preuss. i have bought ruffly half of my T's from there and i have not had anyh problems with any of them.

14. IrishKnight

IrishKnight Arachnosquire

\
    i wish one was in cali...most stores here dont carry Ts and the ones that do know NOTHING about them,atleast i found out PAUL from PETCENTERUSA lives 10 mins away from me!{D

15. Rochelle

Rochelle Arachnoprince

Outstanding!! A+++

We picked up on some of the best medium-sized arboreal tanks EVER!!! These have the footprint of a 2.5 gallon glass tank - but are actually a 5 gallon. :D (sort of like a double-stack of 2.5 gallon). I just rehoused some P.cambridgei adult girls into them and I cannot wait to go pick up about 20 more of these awesome tanks! They make housing in the T.rooms so much easier - and now we have room for even more kids! :clap:

Thanks again to Preuss Pets for their innovative and progressive view of Tarantula keeping. There is no other Pet Store around that shows so much attention to detail and the needs of it's very diverse clients. :worship:
    Jayzun Boget is an incredible manager and Preuss Pets is very lucky to have him...along with all their other "special" staff members.....{D

Much Appreciation,
    Rochelle/BugMomma

16. matthias

matthias Arachnobaron

I travel to Pet stores all over the country installing computer systems. So I've seen a LOT of stores and a LOT of different conditions of inverts.
    Hands down Pruess has the best selection, quality and quantity, of T's and other inverts I have ever seen. Not to mention every supply, and tank you could want to take care of your invertebrates. (They had a slab of cork bark that was as tall as Mina!)

That is just the inverts! Herps, fish, birds, rodents, if you can keep it as a pet with out a licenses they have it and everything you need to take care of it for life. The most impressive part (and that is saying something) is the depth of knowledge of the staff and care for their animals.

I drove almost 300 miles one way to get there and it was well worth every one.
    If you are in Michigan (or the Midwest) make Pruess, not only a detour but a destination.

17. ThyTempest

ThyTempest Arachnopeon

I used to agree with most of the previous statements. When I first walked into Preuss I was impressed by the variety, beauty and overall ambiance of the store. I noticed immediately that the prices were quite high. Customer service was above average and the majority of the staff knew their stuff.

Fast forward 6 months with nearly weekly visits. Prices remain high, customer service is non-existent, and care of the animals is slipping. Preuss' intial positive impression has been destroyed in my eyes.

18. JayzunBoget

I'm sorry that you have come to feel that way, ThyTempest.
    I am a manager in the reptile department of Preuss Pets.
    If you would care to discuss your concerns with us, we would love an opportunity to redeem ourselves, or at least share with you our side of the story.
    As far as prices go, you can't expect to find the best selection with an onhand staff to offer what is usually described (by and to us) as excellent customer service at bargain basement prices. No pet store can compete in price with online stores that do not have a brick and mortar store and staff to support.
    As for customer service, we have been a bit short staffed lately with sickness, an injury and alot of staff finally getting to take a vacation, and my house burning up, but the rest of us who are here will bust our ass to give you all of the individual attention that we can.
    And finally, as far as our animal care goes, we start caring for them at 8:00 in the morning and we will stay as late into the night as we have to to make sure that all of the creatures in our care are provided the best possible care.
    Like I said, we would rather be the best than the cheapest, and we have been a bit short staffed, but I just don't know where you are coming from on this burn. Where have you seen better?
    Either way, we do appreciate your comments, any excuse is a good one to tighten ones act up. If you have any direct complaints or comments, you can reach me at the store Wednesday to Sunday. I just about live there.
    Thanks,

JZ

19. ThyTempest

ThyTempest Arachnopeon

I've given up on that already. Last time I was in, I was going to speak to you or Michael about my concerns, and I had to wait 30 minutes before I was even helped at the bug bar. I asked to see either of you after I got my crickets, waited another 15 minutes, and with no one else coming to see me, paid for my crickets and left. This was last Thursday morning.

I realize the reasons prices are high, but I still feel that the prices could be lower. In my opinion, Preuss does not need to have the commercial running several times a day. I don't know how much money that eats up in advertising, but I cannot imagine it is cheap.

I have to admit, I was very hopeful when I started dealing with you more than Michael in the reptile department. I am in no way trying to burn Michael on this, but I think you have been, at the very least, straightforward with me.

Either way, if you want some more examples or concerns, just let me know and I will come talk to you next time I am in, I am pretty sure you will recognize me.

20. miarachnids

miarachnids Arachnoknight Old Timer

Positive!!!

I finally crawled out of my burrow and went to check out this pet store I have heard so much about. It took a large tarantula lovers gathering to get me. lol.

I have to say Wow. I hade no idea this store was so cool. What a place.
    The first word that comes to mind is huge. I have never seen such a big pet store. The set up is great. Lots of animals. Something for everybody.
    Of course the first thing I looked at was the invert section. Nice selection,healthy looking well cared for bugs. unlike a lot of pet stores, Preuss pets has rare spiders you would never see at other pet stores as well as the common beginner spiders.
    I did look around at the other sections of the store. The fish section is wonderful. A huge salt water section, just beautiful. Fresh water fish was the same. The reptile section was awsome as well. No large reptiles crammed in small dirty cages. All the reptiles had great set ups and looked very healthy and clean. Mamals were wonderful as well.
    I can't say enough good things about this store.
    Though I only talked to a 1 or 2 of the employees. They new alot about the animals and were very helpful. You can tell that the employees put thier hearts into everything they do there, and seemed very happy to be there helping me and answering my questions.

Anyone asking me if i know a good pet store. Will be pointed straight to Preuss Pets in Lansing Mi.