1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty sure my RCF G. rosea just laid an eggsack

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by DannyH, Jul 4, 2013.

1. DannyH

DannyH Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    I'm really more of a casual T owner so I have no idea what to do. Shes been digging a lot for about a week and now she looks skinnier and has a big ball of web in her fangs. I really don't want 100+ baby tarantulas so I might just sell it to someone around here, but in the mean time is there anything I should do differently, like should I feed her the same way and everything? Also, how long should I wait to pull the sack and how should I care for it? If someone knows a good guide or video for this it would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. macbaffo

macbaffo Arachnolord

Italy
    did you buy her recently?
    if not, did you pair her?
    if yes, then what did you expect?
    if not, then dud sac and nothing to worry about (no invasion).

But if you bought her recently, then it might be fertile. Contact the previous owner to be sure. Maybe you will find someone who wants a rosie sac.

3. DannyH

DannyH Arachnobaron

I've had her for about a year six months. Is that too long of a time span? I never paired her or anything.

4. Galluch13

Galluch13 Arachnopeon

its probably a dud sack

5. JZC

JZC Arachnobaron

Is she WC? She could have mated in the wild.

6. Surprised no one has asked this yet. Since you've had her, has she molted? That's really what's important. Tarantulas can hold sperm for any length of time, but any sperm is expelled with the exuvium when molting. Fertilization takes place when she lays the eggs, not internally. So if she has molted since you've had her, then it is a dud sac. If she has not molted, it's possible that the eggs are fertile.

Edit: In case it turns out they might be fertile -- As far as what to do with the sac, I actually found myself in this exact situation a few weeks ago, though I intend on keeping them (at least until 2nd instar or so). Do not feed her! Don't try to handle her or disturb her in anyway for as long as she has the sac. Just make sure she has water and leave her alone. Increasing the humidity a bit probably wouldn't hurt (though I haven't had to do this with mine because it's pretty humid in my area anyway), but don't oversaturate. And whatever you do, don't spray near the sac -- it can cause the eggs to rot. If they do rot, you'll know within a couple days as she'll either eat the sac or discard it and the eggs will be in a hard, black clump.

When to pull the sac is entirely up to you, since you're not going to keep it. Leave it with her until you find someone willing to take it off your hands, then see when they want you to pull it. It will simply be a matter of whether that person can artificially incubate them or not. Keep in mind, the longer you leave the sac with her, the greater the chance of her eating it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  7. DannyH

DannyH Arachnobaron

She never moulted, and idk if she was wild caught I got her from a dealer. What I really don't want is for the sack to open and wake up with a bunch of slings.

EDIT: Also, after how many days should I pull it, like just your opinions because I have no idea how long until they hatch. And how can I make a simple incubator? I don't have the supplies to make the complicated ones. To be honest I'm considering freezing it. I would feel bad but bugs die all the time and there is also the possibility she could eat it. Also my parents would never approve of hundreds of slings.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  8. If she hasn't molted, then it's a definite possibility that the eggs are fertilized. I recommend looking at my thread here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...unexpectedly-laid-eggs!&p=2179950#post2179950

When they hatch depends on temperature, humidity, and species' average incubation time. Higher temps = faster incubation time, and I don't know the average incubation time for G. rosea. For mine (A. hentzi), they're slow growing tarantulas, so the incubation time is longer. I'm pulling mine at ~55 days, but most people with other species would pull theirs at about 30 days and incubate as needed from there. Fair warning, artificial incubation is a bit of an undertaking. I don't think you want to do it unless you can really dedicate yourself to hatching the sac. I haven't looked up how to make an incubator yet because I'm still a ways off from that, but there should be some helpful info on it in my link. Honestly, it kinda sounds to me like you're deciding to keep them. Is that the case? You probably don't want to incubate them if you're not wanting them to hatch. Rather than freezing it, why not find someone who is willing to hatch them out?

Edit: Also keep in mind that it's also very possible that you won't get to that point. The eggs could still be duds, she could eat it or discard it if the eggs go bad. So try not to stress out over this too much. Just make the necessary preparations close to the 30 day mark, if that's when you plan on pulling the sac.

Edit 2: In my thread, I wrote that I was misting the cage and had a weak lamp near her to increase temp, but I have since scrapped doing both of those. Since then, the thermometer reads about 70-75F and the humidity meter has been about 55-60%. These are a bit lower readings than what's recommended in the Tarantula Keeper's Guide (80-85F and 60-70% humidity), but I've found they've been working well for her. She seemed to get more sluggish whenever I increased the humidity by misting. I don't know what the case will be for Grammastola, but just thought I'd let you know.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  9. Marijan2

Marijan2 Arachnobaron

here's video tutorial how to make incubator easily and for less than 15 dollars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKdgIt_CUlc

You can post on classifieds section on this forum that you want to sell your whole sac, i'm pretty sure people will be willing to buy it from you for right amount

10. lancej

lancej Arachnolord

Very good video. I used this with my Grammastola pulchripes egg sac with great success.