Premolt sling

WickedTwinz

Arachnopeon
I new to the hobby an have only had my GBB sling for about a week now. When I first got the T It was a good eatter but today it has refused food twice, I think it might be in premolt but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me the signs to know when my GBB sling is in remolt. Yes I have tried to look it up, but there are so many different videos an none have a GBB sling so I'm not sure what exactly I am to be looking for as premolt signs. Any advise would help thanks

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Refusing food could be just meaning that it is not hungry.

If your tarantula is refusing food, good then, take the feeder out, and just try to feed it a couple of days later. If it is still refusing, still good, take the feeder out, and then try it a couple of days later again.

Signs of pre molt could be:

• refusing food
• slow movement
• webbing more here and there
• darkened and shiny abdomen

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Their abdomens will swell up like a grape and any bald spots on its abdomen will turn blue-black when moulting is imminent. They also make a moulting mat, kind of like a blanket of silk on the ground, though sometimes it's on an angle attached to something like a leaf or twig. They also quit climbing more because the special pads on their feet dull down right before a moult and they can't stick to smooth surfaces as easily. Just remember, the more you feed it in the early stages of a moult cycle, the longer it will take for the fasting period to end and the moult to happen. Just offer one prey item at a time like once every three or four days or you can honestly go every week if you want.

WickedTwinz

Arachnopeon
Thank y'all so much it was alot of help.. I think it just might know be hungry it is active still well mostly but it kinda shinny. Also the T is on the side of it enclosure so it can still climb pretty good..thank u for the advice

This was a pic for yesterday

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Can you post pics of the full enclosure? GBB's are terrestrial and that looks like an arboreal setup! As for feeding I'd limit it to every 3 or 4 days for a sling when it reaches 2" I'd go to every 9 or 10 days. You said its been a good eater and you've only had it a week it should only have been fed the 1 time in this week. T's fast for weeks/months and upto a year at a time so if its not ate in a week there is no need for concern. Welcome to the hobby.

WickedTwinz

Arachnopeon
Can you post pics of the full enclosure? GBB's are terrestrial and that looks like an arboreal setup! As for feeding I'd limit it to every 3 or 4 days for a sling when it reaches 2" I'd go to every 9 or 10 days. You said its been a good eater and you've only had it a week it should only have been fed the 1 time in this week. T's fast for weeks/months and upto a year at a time so if its not ate in a week there is no need for concern. Welcome to the hobby.
I feed it ever

I got the set up from Jamie's tarantula one of there beginner kits, it said it was a terrestrial.. an I've only feed it twice both times it attack it quick an yea I only feed it every 3 days

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
It looks universal that enclosure, you could fill it with sub and be suitible for a terrestrial or fossorial or hardly any sub and a big bit of vertical Cork for an arborealso you're enclosure is fine and nice T keep feeding at you're current rate if it refuses food a few times in a row chances are it in premolt but this dose not mean it will moult any time soon some Ts can fast for a year before eventually moulting

cold blood

Staff member
I'm not a fan of those enclosures for slings, but for a GBB sling (or a few others), its pretty good.

It looks like it doesn't need to eat, but is only in the early stages, so it may be a while if it was binge fed. If this were my t and it refused to eat, I wouldn't even offer food until after molting.