predators of Theridiidae?

Lambda Tau

Arachnopeon
Could anyone help identify predators of theridiidae? I haven't read about nor seen them being predated on by other creatures, but I've just gone into the garden and found one eating an Amaurobius sp. twice its size.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Lots of things can eat them if they fall out of the web. Otherwise they really only have to worry about parasitoids on themselves and their egg sacs.

Lambda Tau

Arachnopeon
Lots of things can eat them if they fall out of the web. Otherwise they really only have to worry about parasitoids on themselves and their egg sacs.
So they'll never be attacked in their web? Why do you think this is, considering other web making spiders like orb weavers get attacked in their webs?

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So they'll never be attacked in their web? Why do you think this is, considering other web making spiders like orb weavers get attacked in their webs?
They do still get attacked on occasion, but I don't think it's as common because they hide pretty well and the way their web is set up makes it more difficult for a predator to sneak up on them. Araneidae webs are mostly two dimensional, whereas theridiid webs are three dimensional.

Lambda Tau

Arachnopeon
They do still get attacked on occasion, but I don't think it's as common because they hide pretty well and the way their web is set up makes it more difficult for a predator to sneak up on them. Araneidae webs are mostly two dimensional, whereas theridiid webs are three dimensional.
Makes sense. I suppose it comes back to webs then, even more reason to get 'Biology of Spiders' like I was told to in my other thread! One more question that might seem obvious: Are theriddidae species slow/innefective when out of a web, when compared to other spiders?

The wolf

Arachnolord
Makes sense. I suppose it comes back to webs then, even more reason to get 'Biology of Spiders' like I was told to in my other thread! One more question that might seem obvious: Are theriddidae species slow/innefective when out of a web, when compared to other spiders?
Yes very much so

Veles

Arachnobaron
@Veles come over here and tell us about those gnaphosids
Well to be fair, gnaphosidae mostly hunt other active hunting spiders(lycosidae, Pisauridae etc.) or some sheet web builders(Amaurobiidae, grass, house spiders etc.)
Theridiidae webs are a bit hard to breach for them.
But if they find the spider out of its web....

Lambda Tau

Arachnopeon
Well to be fair, gnaphosidae mostly hunt other active hunting spiders(lycosidae, Pisauridae etc.) or some sheet web builders(Amaurobiidae, grass, house spiders etc.)
Is it just opportunistic then, are they just as likely to become prey as they are predator?

The wolf

Arachnolord
I don't wanna sound like an internet douche but amaurobius don't make sheets

Veles

Arachnobaron
I don't wanna sound like an internet douche but amaurobius don't make sheets
Well, i dont really know how to describe the type of web they make.
Is it just opportunistic then, are they just as likely to become prey as they are predator?
No, they are much better adapted for this than their prey, both in behaviour and in build/body shape.
Hell, some even have spicialized ways of shooting silk out to ensnare prey.

Last edited:

The wolf

Arachnolord

No, they are much better adapted for this than their prey, both in behaviour and in build/body shape.
Fair enough

Lambda Tau

Arachnopeon

Thanks. gnaphosidae are essentially dominant then aren't they (outside of a web), and since the web-maker is in it's web, the gnaphosid will determine the conditions of the 'fight' won't it (and could disengage more easily if in danger)? Thanks for clarifying that.

This relationship between spiders, how do tarantulas fit into it, are they considered prey for other spiders at all?

Veles

Arachnobaron
Thanks. gnaphosidae are essentially dominant then aren't they (outside of a web), and since the web-maker is in it's web, the gnaphosid will determine the conditions of the 'fight' won't it (and could disengage more easily if in danger)? Thanks for clarifying that.
They will not persue spiders with this kind of webs as they can not walk on it and will avoid it.
Drassodes for example can walk on quite a few types of webs.

This relationship between spiders, how do tarantulas fit into it, are they considered prey for other spiders at all?
Maybe to other tarantulas?
True spiders may try and hunt very young slings tho.

Last edited:

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel

Theridiidae will certainly prey on a wandering male tarantula that may get trapped in their webbing. They are excellent at subduing very large prey relative to their own size.

They are often called 'lace weavers' so perhaps a lace web would be reasonably accurate.

Veles

Arachnobaron
Theridiidae will certainly prey on a wandering male tarantula that may get trapped in their webbing. They are excellent at subduing very large prey relative to their own size.

They are often called 'lace weavers' so perhaps a lace web would be reasonably accurate.
Yeah, but i dont think Theridiidae could catch a MM?

Lambda Tau

Arachnopeon
I've just been doing some searching and found these, not really scientific evidence but will probably be helpful:

They show jumping spiders killing black widows, the first is in the widow's web.

Veles

Arachnobaron
I've just been doing some searching and found these, not really scientific evidence but will probably be helpful:

They show jumping spiders killing black widows, the first is in the widow's web.
Yup, the terrain(cinderblock) gavejumper the much needed adventage to win here.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Yeah, but i dont think Theridiidae could catch a MM?
Widows are theridiids, and there are images and videos of them feeding on things like snakes and lizards that happened to get tangled in their webbing. If a mature male tarantula out wandering in search of a mate happened to stumble into a web, it would likely meet the same fate. Widow silk is extremely strong.

Some example photos can be found here: http://dimplify.com/post/24164

Last edited: