Pre-Molting Help!

Macrolove

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

Question: During pre-molt the spider will not eat correct? But will it come out and explore for a little while? That is what my spider did. Then after 2 hours the spider went back into its retreat. Is that normal pre-molting behavior? Also, I heard that the pre-molting behavior of the jumping spider can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks. Is this really true?

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Hi all,

Question: During pre-molt the spider will not eat correct? But will it come out and explore for a little while? That is what my spider did. Then after 2 hours the spider went back into its retreat. Is that normal pre-molting behavior? Also, I heard that the pre-molting behavior of the jumping spider can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks. Is this really true?
Questions for you.

Is this your first true spider?
How soon did you wait to offer the spider food after you moved them into the new home?
How do you know the spider is in pre-molt?

No one is here to judge you fyi, just answer those honestly and I can give you some good help.

Spiders can be in pre-molt anywhere from 1 day to many many weeks. Given how juvenile this spider is, I'd say it would be in pre-molt about a day or 2 at most. Small spiders don't really have heavy pre-molts, that is usually tarantulas and larger spiders.

Macrolove

Arachnopeon
It's my second, but it was an adult so it never expierianced any molting. I never had a spider molt for me so I have no clue, I do research on the subject. I actually received the spider valentines day. I tried feeding him (small pinhead cricket) a day after but refused it. Yesterday I caught him poking it's head out of his retreat to get dome water that I lightly misted. Today the spider came out and explored his terrerium for about 2 hours so I offered it food but it wasn't even interested it literally looked at it and ignored it. So if you can help me I would truly be great full!!! :)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
A couple days post molt without food isn't a concern. Give your spider a couple days off and try again. When I kept jumpers they never seemed to want to eat with me in their presence so after the spider vacation try again and leave the prey with the spider for overnight.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I would recommend giving it some time to get comfortable before offering food. Like a week. Moving for spiders is very stressful, they wont eat when stressed. Basically u determined it was in pre-molt because it rejected food? It doesn't seem to be in pre-molt.

When it is ready to molt, it will seal itself inside a retreat and you wont see it.