Praying mantis Stairing !!

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got one of these mad litle aliens and noticed something kinda odd,
It will look you in the eye and keep eye contact with you as you move arround , it will not follow other moving stuff ie my hand waved infront as a distraction ,it just continues to look me in the eye!!! ,

Last edited by a moderator:

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is not staring at you, it' merely an optical effect {D
You're looking into the "tubes" of the compound eye that are directed towards you, that's why they appear darker!
But don't feel silly, I asked the same question when I first saw a mantis! {D

Bernhard

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
tubes? , are they like a small black dots in the centre of its green eyes ?? kinda looks like a pupil ?? (it that bit that follows me)

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the responce its been puzzeling me since i got it

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah i think i see now so its like a bunch of optic fibres in semi sphere , as i move arround it i like move in direct line with each indavidual part(fibre) ,So it apears like it moves ??

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The compound eye of an insect may consist of around 20,000 ommatidia. One ommatidium has a number of lenses that make up the cone, which directs light onto a tubular structure called the rhabdom, which is made up of several retinular cells. The retinular cells are surrounded by pigment cells. The base of each rhabdom is connected to an optic nerve that leads to the brain. The effect that the mantids eye has a pupil is probably from the single ommatidium or very small group of ommatidia that are directly facing you that appear to not be receiving any light from that angle.

Alex S.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I dind't know about that phenomenon...interseting. However I could still swear several of my mantises would acutally move their heads to follow me as i moved around their cage...

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi Malkavian, mantids will pivot the head to follow moving objects. They are the only insects known to be able to move the head alone without moving any other part of the body.

Alex S.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes mine also turns its head round often to face me an will turn its head to follow me as i move arround (its kinda creapy) , Im sure it thinks im a big cricket and it would just love to grab ahold of me an eat me to death!!

But hmm its just shed looks alot bigger But its wings look funny like kinda shriveled is this normal???

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It is perfectly normal. If it was the final molt into the adult stage, the wings will be functional (depending on species) after drying out. Do not feed the specimen for a couple days as the cuticle needs time to become fully solid.

Alex S.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah thats a releaf , it is still a youngster i duno how old exactly but when i got it was only about 2" long its just molted and is now like 4 posibly 5"

I wasnt sure if it was a molt gone wrong or if adolecents just had funny looking wings it didnt have any prior to the molt..

Glad to know its ok!

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have mantis nymphs now, This summer I had an adult male. His eyes in the morning had nothing but tiny little black dits in them. As the day goes by they dialated and by nighttime the whole eye was pitch black. That was one of his best features. He was a real sweet mantis and a terrible loss. =(

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All this talk of mantids... I wanna see some pictures...

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry*about*pic*quality

she is just finishing a freshly molted (soft) meelworm, She ate it like a corn on the cob !!

Attachments

Last edited: