Praying mantis only eats one thing...

Lizz

Arachnopeon
I thought I'd share this since it's a little unusual.
I have a disabled praying mantis named Bendy, who can not eat unless I feed him. So for the longest time I've ripped the wings off of flies, and crushed mealworms for him to eat, but then he stopped eating.
I figured he was getting ready to molt, so I helped him up on the mesh roof of his container and left him there for the night, the next day he had fallen down, so I helped him up again, but I realized he didn't act like he was gonna molt, so I waited another day.. and another day, now I started to worry. He usually stop eating the day before he's ready to molt, but he kept refusing his food, I tried a bunch of different insects, flies, worms, locusts, roaches... nothing.
Until today when I decided to try something.. different.
I went to the fridge and ripped of a small piece of smoked turkey, and gave it to Bendy.
and to my surprise he ate it... He freaking ate the turkey, he no longer eats flies, worms or any other insects, my praying mantis eats smoked turkey...

I don't know if it's harmful, or if he will be able to sustain himself on turkey, but for now I'm relieved that I got him to eat

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
I would recommend trying a mealworm pupa, maybe if you cut a bit and the juices come out, it will eat it. I think the salt and fat in the Turkey is bad for it. Mantids are like humans, if they find a better taste in a certain food, they will most likely eat only that, since they like it. My disabled mantis will eat anything she can digest.

Last edited: