Praying mantis egg sac fell? Will it be okay?

Tarantuloid

Arachnoknight
I posted a forum a couple of weeks ago about how I started raising Chinese Mantises, and so far, it's been a success. I already have hatched babies from two of them, the two I keep inside are doing great, and the ones outside have made themselves at home in my garden

The only thing I was concerned about is I had one unhatched egg case left, which was attached to a branch by me. Yesterday evening it got really windy, and right before I got home from the college, it fell from the branch. The fall wasn't as bad as it could've been, as it fell on another part of my garden hanging up. The fall was probably like falling off a small night stand if I had to compare distance.

The egg case looks perfectly fine, but I'm not sure how durable they are and I hope this last one is alright. Do mantis egg cases have a pretty strong surface to protect them from a small drop like that?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Don't stress it...these cases show up in some rather unbelievable places. Maybe re-place the case in an area that isn't so wind prone.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Remember the science projects we all had to do in school where we had to cushion a raw (chicken) egg in such a way that it could be dropped from a particular height w/o breaking? Well, I'll put my money on a mantis ootheca any ol' day!

Tarantuloid

Arachnoknight
Wow thanks! I had no idea they were that hardy when it came to sustaining falling damage. I knew the thick layers protected them from colder weather, but I didn't know about falling from a short height haha.

Mantisnewbie

Arachnopeon
My mantis ootheca got a spot where the shell is soft and kinda cracked open. Will this hurt the nymphs or doea it mean they are hatching soon? I did spill a drop of water onto the egg during misting and it worries me.

Sadie11

Arachnosquire
This is an old thread. You may have a better chance of a response if you start your own new thread. Good luck!