1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

praying mantis eating fish

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by SonsofArachne, Oct 3, 2018.

1. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnobaron Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. dragonfire1577

dragonfire1577 Arachnobaron Active Member

Get him a fishing rod and he could go professional with his fishing hobby, maybe participate in a few tournaments.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SonsofArachne

I wonder if any mantis keepers are having thoughts - " a small water dish, a couple of feeder guppies....LET'S SEE WHAT HAPPENS!"

4. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    I have 3 mantis arriving tomorrow and I actually did consider seeing what would happen, but I don't know what i would do with the fish if they didnt get eaten. Feed them to a centipede maybe?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WildSpider

WildSpider Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Ducks love 'em too. I'll bet any poultry would be willing to lend you a hand with them :D.

Just got myself a praying mantis a few days ago. Good to know about these yummy fishes :hungry:.

6. mantisfan101

mantisfan101 Arachnopeon Active Member

Give a mantis a fish and feed him/her for days, teach a mantis how to fish and he/she’ll forget it all and go back to what she was doing but will still be able to hunt fish.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. David McCreary

David McCreary Commander of the Universe Arachnosupporter

I have always been fascinated by praying mantises. I have never kept them because they live less than a year

8. SonsofArachne

I felt the same about true spiders (although most live longer than a year), but I've been getting more into them recently. I want to try some mantises and other insects too.

9. Major 78

Major 78 Arachnosquire Active Member

Don’t be thrown by their short life span! They are very fun to keep, give it a try!

10. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

Centipedes will certainly eat fish, or you could just hand the fish around to the next mantis if the first doesn’t want it

11. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnoknight Active Member

That's the problem, once you get addicted you either have to breed them or buy more every year :hilarious:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnoknight Active Member

Oh boy, breeding mantis, I can only imagine how many males get killed for one sac.

13. Major 78

Major 78 Arachnosquire Active Member

Usually not many... A lot of species don't kill the males actually, and if breeding done correctly even the most aggressive ones won't eat their partners. Also, it's called an oothecae, not a sac. And breeding is fun, from what I here. They can connect for over 8 hours!!!

14. David McCreary

David McCreary Commander of the Universe Arachnosupporter

OK, I took the plunge. I now have a mature female budwing and two L3 ghosts. The big girl (rosebud) is fierce in her hunt for crickets. The little ghosts (Casper & Wendy) are nothing if not cute.

• Like Like x 2