Power feeding...

ghosthunter223

Arachnopeon
I hear alot of talk about power feeding a younger T... does this mean feeding it multiple times a week... or just feeding it everyday till i stops eating? is this bad in anyway for the T? just wondering sort of new to the hobby and just had those questions..

thanks Nate

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Im still new to the hobby also, but my understanding is that power feeding will cause them to grow much faster thus shortening their life. I don't know if it's bad for them other than just causing them to grow quicker though. I may be wrong but that is just my understanding from what I have read on here :)

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah its bad for them
but i do it to my slings until they are almost near an inch.
then i slow down on power feeding but still do it and then after a molt or two completely stop.

when i power feed what i do is every 3-4 days sometimes 5-7 depending on how fat they are
i want them to be fat but not to the point they explode. after they get fat i slow down until a molt and start again for another 1-3 molts.

Just use your judgment if you think its too fat then stop if unsure
stop or give them less or smaller prey etc.

if you power-feed through the T's entire life yeah it will die a lot quicker.
hope this helps

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Power feeding has it's pros, and cons. The biggest con is that it will reduce the lifespan. If you over feed, it can cause molt issues, and abdomen ruptures become easier. The only time I use power feeding is for breeding purposes to fatten a female up after her molt prior to breeding. I will also power feed a male that I need to mature quickly.

itsMEethenne

Arachnopeon
im a newbie too sir, i just wonder if its alright with the slings to power feed them until they reach to 2-3 inches them stop.. i have a 1cm pulchripes and a 2cm B.Albopilosum right now,

thanks guys.. ;)

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my personal opinion power feeding really should only be done for breeding purposes. I will power feed the female so she won't have the inclination to eat the male. :drool: I will also power feed a male if I need him to hook out. I am actually doing that now with two of my most prized males. Now I think patience is required for spiderlings and they should be grown at a normal rate. Power feeding a sling is only for the owners benefit not the spiders! :embarrassed::embarrassed:

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Powerfeeding is an opinion that is not proven to be harmful at all in the longrun. And power feeding slings, the way you choose to do it is up to you and the particular tarantula. I power feed ALL of my slings, however each one is different. My L. parahybana slings will only eat twice a week. My B. vagans sling will eat until it bursts. My OBT sling will eat what it catches on it's own, as much as it feels the need to, not when I drop it in it's enclosure. And I've seen it catch a couple B. Dubia two days straight. So whether you feed them daily, or every couple days, eventually the T will let you know when enough is enough.

Take in consideration that as long as you're not physically damaging your T's, then feed them as you will. In the wild they are opportunistic hunters. And they will feed more than once in a night if given the chance. They feed until they are not hungry. So there is no rational proof of shortening the life of a 20 or 30 year old female tarantula because you powerfed her as a sling.
I've seen Orb Weavers I've had that would save prey in a storage area of the webbing, and eat when it felt like it.

And if I find the thread on another Forum, someone did a scientific test to males of some tarantula species on this very subject, and the males that were powerfed lived 19 months longer than the males that were not, after mature molts. If this holds true, then the more the better!

chelsea

Arachnopeon
My tarantula has eaten 3 crickets in 7 hours. I just got her a little over a week ago, and they told me she would only eat when she's hungry and it would only be twice a week so far its been every other day until last night when she ate 3. Is she getting ready to molt or is she just over-eating?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My tarantula has eaten 3 crickets in 7 hours. I just got her a little over a week ago, and they told me she would only eat when she's hungry and it would only be twice a week so far its been every other day until last night when she ate 3. Is she getting ready to molt or is she just over-eating?
Neither. You're overfeeding.

mark e sic

Arachnosquire
The T.s know what they are doing.. if they are hungry they will eat. if they dont feel like eating then they wont.. even if there is a nice plump Cricket or roach right next to it if doesnt want it wont eat it...

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Im still new to the hobby also, but my understanding is that power feeding will cause them to grow much faster thus shortening their life. I don't know if it's bad for them other than just causing them to grow quicker though. I may be wrong but that is just my understanding from what I have read on here :)
You're still new to the hobby? I read that power feeding while coupled with an increase in temperature will increase their metabolism but have not ready any confirmed data on this.

suzypike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am not new to the hobby- just new to the forum. I still don't understand the power-feeding term. Is power-feeding feeding more than once a week? Or feeding more than twice a week? I feed 1 prey to all of my Ts once a week. If they gobble it up, they get another (or 2 if they are large adults) in a couple of days. I never feed more than 3 crickets or one large roach in one week, but I feed twice a week.
Am I power-feeding? I've searched and found lots of different answers/opinions on this subject.
Thanks,

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
She is a Chilean Rose Haired Tarantula and shes about 4 1/2 inches..
You'll get different replies to this but at that size she can be fine with 4-6 a month. You can feed her more but I would stop with the every other day or even twice a week. I wouldn't feed her more than 3-4 medium-large every week and a half to two weeks.

Thomas2015

Arachnopeon
Be aware that the Chilean Rose-Haired Tarantulas have a tendency to go on long fasts for no apparent reason. I've had two that both would eat rapidly around a three week period, then refuse prey for several months. I'm not sure if its a seasonal thing (it didn't line up with and particular season, but that might be an unnatural result of being indoors). I would play it safe and only put a cricket in at a time: everything in moderation is a good policy.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
You're still new to the hobby? I read that power feeding while coupled with an increase in temperature will increase their metabolism but have not ready any confirmed data on this.
Heh, watch the dates. This thread was trudged up from when that was still true :)

My $0.02 (for the thread, not replying to you specifically), it seems that power feeding has both pros and cons, depending on the situation and the owner. I think the topic has been beaten to death so there's no point rambling on about it, but I always try to remember that tarantulas are not cats, dogs, or people - "obesity" as it relates to mammals may or may not apply to tarantulas in the same way.

I am not new to the hobby- just new to the forum. I still don't understand the power-feeding term. Is power-feeding feeding more than once a week? Or feeding more than twice a week? I feed 1 prey to all of my Ts once a week. If they gobble it up, they get another (or 2 if they are large adults) in a couple of days. I never feed more than 3 crickets or one large roach in one week, but I feed twice a week.
Am I power-feeding? I've searched and found lots of different answers/opinions on this subject.
Thanks,
The new to the hobby comment was referring to Shell, who posted in the original thread in 2009 :). Power feeding is feeding more than a normal diet; I've seen multiple definitions; some say it's feeding as much as the tarantula will take. Feeding twice a week is probably too much for any tarantula (unless you're only giving very small prey items). A Chilean rose that size lives on about 4-6 crickets a month.

See http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html and read it carefully! Stan Schultz is easily one of the foremost experts on the topic.

And, in short, never trust what the pet store says. They almost never get it right.

I find Grammostola rosea to be an interesting species, however common it may be in the pet trade today. Have fun, and welcome to the hobby!

Last edited:

beccahosierr

Arachnosquire
quick answer

This has probably already been asked but... is it possible for your tarantula to actually "pop" from overfeeding?