power feed slings

solaceofwinter

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
anyone have any tips on how to power feed slings? seems like once a week ill give them a cricket, 2 slings are around 2" id guess, other one is still around 1/4". 1 cricket a week enough? their abdomens dont look like they could handle much more sometimes lol.
i keep the temps up, about 80 all the time. is this feeding schedule ive got them on about right or all i could ask for? thanks

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We all vary on how often we feed and what we feed slings. I usually do 1-2 crickets a week for my slings. Some (my pokies and P. pulcher's) are voracious and I usually feed them more. I don't like to power feed but I'm not against those who do. I think most Ts find minimal food in their natural surroundings rather than Americanized buffets. :D

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For my slings that are 2" and bigger i feed them a cricket about every two or three days. for my smaller slings i feed them a cricket usually everyother day.

-Matty

Beccas_824

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To me "powerfeeding" was basically giving your T's/slings all the crickets they could eat before they were too stuffed to eat anymore.
I've never powerfed by the above definetion but I have always fed my smaller slings (like under an inch) every other day or so, just because I hate pinhead more than i hate adult crickets.
Everyhting between 1 and 2 inches gets a cricket about every 2 to three days.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Warning about power feeding, if you feed them too much when they are small they may have trouble molting. By the denfintion that is floating around this forum, I power feed. I will give them as much as they will eat at one time every 3-4 days. The means the avgerage sling will get about 3-6 roaches a week. The size of the roach will depend on the tarnatula but it never goes bigger then the carapace. I never let them get too full. If abdomen is bigger then the carapace I wait.
thedarkfinder

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think maybe there is a small, tiny, infinitessimal chance that I might just possibly could be defined as someone who power feeds.;)

I like to give my slings one or two criks a day. I have never had a sling have any trouble during a molt and only 2 juvies, out of more than a hundred or more, that had some difficulty, but those troubles were caused by other factors. When they reach mid size, for their species, I feed 4 or so times a week. Near adult size I feed twice a week.

I vary this order from time to time. There are times when I will feed males less then the females I hope to breed them with.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ditto Matty

I feed on pretty much the same schedule as Matty. If a special case demands
more or less food then I adjust for those individual s'lings.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mexican8s said:
I feed on pretty much the same schedule as Matty. If a special case demands
more or less food then I adjust for those individual s'lings.
Yup same here, i adjust as well

-Matty

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i feed my slings everyday, until the can't feed anymore. never encountered any moulting problems.

Midnightcowboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I feed my slings a couple of pinheads every couple of days. I just want to get them past the first couple of molts, and then when they're a bit more robust (about 2.5 inches) I feed them one appropriately sized prey item every 3-4 days. Adults get fed weekly. I feed my adults less than my slings, as I'm not a fan of fat tarantulas. I think spiders look their nicest when the opisthosoma is a nice average size.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
TheDarkFinder said:
Warning about power feeding, if you feed them too much when they are small they may have trouble molting. By the denfintion that is floating around this forum, I power feed. I will give them as much as they will eat at one time every 3-4 days. The means the avgerage sling will get about 3-6 roaches a week. The size of the roach will depend on the tarnatula but it never goes bigger then the carapace. I never let them get too full. If abdomen is bigger then the carapace I wait.
thedarkfinder

never had problems with powerfeeding

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BakuBak said:
never had problems with powerfeeding
I have not had problems with powerfeeding, but if you read the past threads on powerfeeding you find people saying you get bad molts.

I was just warning what could happen. Once again, I powerfeed and have not lost a tarantula to powerfeeding. It may lead to problems, not that it will.
thedarkfinder

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
powerfeeding

i also believe powerfeeding is letting it eat as much as they will. my b vagans is only about 1.5" now i guess maybe almost 2 and it'll eat a small/medium cricket once a day and if one the smaller side, will eat a couple a day.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
TheDarkFinder said:
I have not had problems with powerfeeding, but if you read the past threads on powerfeeding you find people saying you get bad molts.

I was just warning what could happen. Once again, I powerfeed and have not lost a tarantula to powerfeeding. It may lead to problems, not that it will.
thedarkfinder

I just think people will always find something to blame {D

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After having read this thread I think I might be power feeding my little 1" guys. I thought I was being a bad parent by feeding them 2 pinhead size roach nymphs every other day and was going to up the portions. I guess I should probably cut back; they all have "big booty" syndrome. :D