Potential hobby setbacks

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Apparently Brazil has taken to cracking down on the sale of all uniquely indigenous species, even those that are captive bred, resulting in the confiscation of a shipment containing legally imported T. seladonia very recently.

I came across this in a post by Palp Friction Tarantulas which I’ll link below. By the sounds of it some species may have some troubled times ahead.

https://www.facebook.com/1775254709431422/posts/1962261567397401/

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I wont cut and paste from Facebook, but for those of you not following FB.. apparently Brazil is pitching a fit on these and their origins...So much so that a CB importation was seized... I think they are looking to lock down ANY brazilian animals and their descendants as illegally obtained...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
To me, that sounds suspicious.

Has there been any hard proof, that the people who no doubt shelled out a fortune for T. seledonia, their spiders have been confiscated?

That whole post looks like hearsay

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
To me, that sounds suspicious.

Has there been any hard proof, that the people who no doubt shelled out a fortune for T. seledonia, their spiders have been confiscated?

That whole post looks like hearsay
It wasn’t their shipment AFAIK, I believe it was Erickson exotics.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
It sounds like they weren't going to refund people but instead were going to try to get the spiders back and possibly fight it legally. I'm just glad I didn't order one of these.

cold blood

Staff member
Theres good reason why AB doesnt allow pre sales in our classifieds.

Its essentially counting your chickens before they hatch. Too much can go wrong, all slings dont survive, all sacs dont produce, all shipments dont see perfect survival from across the globe....then add things like this.....pre sales can lead to catastrophe, and many unhappy buyers clamoring for refunds when things dont go as planned....and as we know, things dont always go as planned.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Crooked governments go after exotics that are legal, just for an easy buck? :greedy:When the dangerous stuff like drugs they let go through. Try and get more information on this story all seems confusing.

Somewhere in Africa 8+ black rhinos were killed due to poor care. same thing ting can happen if government takes spiders away and doesn’t keep them alive . Die in a warehouse?!!!:banghead:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Absolute power corrupts absolutely .

Not sure I trust that Fakebook article though.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Kind of. Recent imports have been seized and Brazil is cracking down on exporting native tarantulas. Any tarantula endemic to Brazil alone is in the same boat.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
It'll be very interesting (in the same way it's interesting to watch a train wreck) to see the effects of this. Think we can expect to see price inflation of the species affected?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
You can count on that lol. I can see price inflating fifty percent easy if no more seladonia come into the country.

Wasn't huge on them anyway to be honest...but thats just me.
Definitely on seladonia, I'm a fan but not for that price tag. Guess I'll have to add another 10 years onto how long I'll be waiting before they're an acceptable price. And it's not like G. pulchra weren't expensive enough already. :rolleyes:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Wasn't huge on them anyway to be honest...but thats just me.
It's just basically a (somewhat) 'brand new', already high priced (was priced before, go figure in the future if things are confirmed) Theraphosidae a la 'avic' style :)

I call those kind of T's (including H.pulchripes and the mania for those) Fashion T's :bored:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Definitely on seladonia, I'm a fan but not for that price tag. Guess I'll have to add another 10 years onto how long I'll be waiting before they're an acceptable price. And it's not like G. pulchra weren't expensive enough already. :rolleyes:
Maybe even longer then that if its left to captive breeding efforts...these spiders grow slowly and produce very small sacs, around thirty slings each IIRC.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I call those kind of T's (including H.pulchripes and the mania for those) Fashion T's :bored:
Well we all know you're biased anyway. Your faithful eyes belong to the 0.1 Goddess (PBUH), and her alone. ;)

Maybe even longer then that if its left to captive breeding efforts...these spiders grow slowly and produce very small sacs, around thirty slings each IIRC.
Of course they do. Go figure. :shifty:

Fingers crossed that those breeding them have success. Even if I won't be able to justify remorgaging my house to buy one, I really would like for it to stick around in the hobby. Overrated or not, it's a pretty little T that I personally find to be interesting.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This doesn’t surprise me at all if true. The original animals obtained were smuggled according to an importer.

There’s many species established in the hobby that were all illegally obtained.

As for Brazil going after individuals- they have the legal right to do so.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe if people hadn’t sold them for prices off the charts they wouldn’t have attracted any attention.

Who knows - Madagascar used to have open boarders, they shut down their exotic exports basically.

Many countries are doing this.