Posting and Packing scorpions: How-to.

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi ive done it... here its goes...

Im packing a couple of Chearlius Rectimus to be sent to overseas ard 5-7 days its expected to arrive at whereever its suppose to.. hehehe ... tropical scorpions, medium/small size..

these are the stuff you need :-

1) envelope with bubble wrap padding in the sides - usually you can get these at post office

2) Toliet papers or paper towels(clean and unuse {D )

3) Bottles that can fit your scorpions and the paper towels that you are going to use as the protection walls.

4)some clear tape..

5) and of course scorpions! hehehe;P

a comparison of the scorp and the bottle.. err i think i sligjlt oversize the bottle because this package is gonna take a few days and i want to make sure it arrives safe so i make sure theres ample of extra air and space :). for my to put more protection.

next, take some paper towels and push it to the bottem of the bottle. and moist it..

next us a bottle of something that has much smaller diameter , to push the paper towels in to make a hollow paper towel tunnel. i recommand at least 3-4 layers of paper towel.depending also the diameter of the bottle and the size of the scorp. so choosing the right bottle is important. if you chose a bottle to small the scorp gets restricted and u cannot make very thick paper towel walls to protect it. too big the container and small scorps, the chances of the "paper towel tunnel" to work is low..

"paper towel tunnel"

with the scorp inside

add some more slightly moist small paper towels in to cover the scorp. it also acts as something for the scorp to hang on to during the transport during rough rider :(... no one like rough rides for the scorp :wall: :embarrassed:

now close up the tunnel by folding down the excess paper towels..

finally add some slight moist paper towels to fill up the gap(more protection for impact and loss of mositure. NEVER PUT ANY DRY PAPER TOWEL INTO THE BOTTLES YOU ARE GOING TO fully SEAL because it will absorb all the moisture from your scorp. so at least moist a little.

furthur enchance protection by wrapping them with layers of paper towels again...

now to the envelope. make sure the bubble wrap os ok. then stuff some paper towels at the end of the envelope so that there will be no empty areas for your bottles to move in the envelope. and to end it add some more paper towels... your package is ready....

use some extra clear tape to double seal the envelope, never trust the orginal sticky glue on the envelope!..:embarrassed:

good luck with the shipping!

regards
walton

Last edited:

PeterParker

Arachnopeon
Wow nice infos! but now that we're thru about packing scorps ca someone post in the "how to Un-pack scorps?"

aldous :wall:

Gav0r

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just read through the steps backwards :wall:

Cheers, Gav.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I second that! PIN IT!!!!

I posted a thread a month ago on how to pack. George started this thread and other members also pitched in some of their techniques and ideas. I can clearly say that these are very useful. After following these instructions I was able to successfully ship inverts overseas. I have done it four times already.

PeterParker

Arachnopeon
Yeah but what I mean was "how to unpack" if you dont want to touch your scorp, ofcourse after opening the container we dont want to just throw it in the new enclosure, there should be a nice and easy step by step procedure on how to unpack the scorp and put it in its new enclosure :) does the bell procedure like the one they use on T's work on scorps :?

aldous:wall:

Last edited:

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I do to unpack is just put whatever they were shipped in in the enclosure then open the lid and coax them out of the container with forceps. It can be time taking but its one of the safest ways I can think of.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm certainly linking this page to my supplier so that he dun snd me a bag of dead scorps

Thanks

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wat is your supplier sending and will/can send?? > *hint* HINT* hehehhehe ;P

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
28pcs of scorps...

Oh if u guys wanna know how thai supplier ships them...

One box...not too small...packed up with leafs and dumpin at least 100 Hets of 13cm or if its a sling, u can expect even a thousand...its a sardine can in there

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Australis said:
28pcs of scorps...

Oh if u guys wanna know how thai supplier ships them...

One box...not too small...packed up with leafs and dumpin at least 100 Hets of 13cm or if its a sling, u can expect even a thousand...its a sardine can in there
yeah if from thai its all H.laotics, WC adults.. saw it for sale there.. price is dirt cheap.. conditions of scorps some times not very good :(

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sometimes they have spinifers from borneo too...which happened to be in my possesion but looks the same...haha...question is HOW THE HELL DID THE THAIS MANAGED TO GET WC FROM MY PLACE AND SHIP IT BACK TO US ???!!! :eek:

Imagine our local hobbyist asking me to compete pricing with those thai pack styles...and price...:?

Basically they are shipping out WC by the trucks...

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This thread oughta be locked and stickyed for newbs such as i to pack and mail

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Australis said:
Sometimes they have spinifers from borneo too...which happened to be in my possesion but looks the same...haha...question is HOW THE HELL DID THE THAIS MANAGED TO GET WC FROM MY PLACE AND SHIP IT BACK TO US ???!!! :eek:

Imagine our local hobbyist asking me to compete pricing with those thai pack styles...and price...:?

Basically they are shipping out WC by the trucks...
i understand from a few shops that they do have hobbist that supplies them wat ever they breed, and due to the pricing there they cant sell it cheap. :) so may be yours can be a captive breed or WC spinifer imported by thai which got bored and sold to supplier and you got them ???

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well mine's covered with some mud...and the whole bunch is of odd sizes too.
WC ???

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Australis said:
Well mine's covered with some mud...and the whole bunch is of odd sizes too.
WC ???
Most likely WC. There's plenty of scorps in Thailand. I've seen a picture somewhere wherein the scorps are eaten as a delicacy.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup...i dun think that theres any big difference...just think of it as a shrimp...with big claws and a funny lookin tail:D