postal regulations (USPS)

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I visited the local post office and spoke with the postmaster reguarding the regulations involving shipping of tarantulas the other day. He gave me a copy of the regulations and i figured I'd share it with you. The following is a copy of what the paper says. It can be found under postal regulations, perishables section C022 DMM issue 58 (8-10-03)

Summary section C022 describes the normal transit standards for mailing perishible goods, Including live animals, furs, plants and nominable mailable plant pests. In addition, it provides preparation and packiging information.
CONTAINER: any container used to mail perishable matter must be constructed to protect and securely contain the contents.

Section 3.2 Live cold blooded animals Small ahrmless cold blooded animals (except snakes and turtles) that do not require food, water or attention during handiling in the mail and that do not create sanitary problems or obnoxious odors are mailable (e.g. baby aligators, and camians not more than 20 inches long, blood worms, earthworms, mealworms, salamanders, leeches, lizzards and tadpoles).
Other insects: Other live, non poisionous. and non disease carrying insects may be sent through the mail when properly prepared for mailing and when shipped under regulations of the US Department of Agriculture.

after getting this from the postmaster he did say to me that in some cases live animals not decalred have been "scanned" and seized temporarily because the packaging did not properly decalre/display the contents. I have no idea if he was just giving me a line of BS or what. He did tell me that they have recieved tarantulas in the mail, and shipped them with no problems (as i am sure the T dealers will concur). As a side reccomendation he gave me two "outside shippment" labels. He said it would be to my benefit to have these items packed outside the mail bags and containers used for air freight(thats how they get it to you overnight) as some of these pacakges are air tight.

I hope this helps all of us in our USPS mailing of T's and feeders.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can we make this a sticky?

I'm also wondering if that means it's safe to write "Live Harmless Invertebrates" on the box. I think most people are so freaked out by T's that writing "Live Harmless T's" would cause more problems than it's worth!

re: "scanning"...maybe he meant they X-rayed the boxes. Do they just do this randomly?

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the way i understand it it is just some scanner they use, not nessecarily X ray. I know there are sonographic scanners (like they use on mothers to look at the babies) that some places are using to scan packages. considering the cost and time involved i would ASSUME it is random.

there are two things i see good and bad about this paper..

Small ahrmless cold blooded animals (except snakes and turtles) that do not require food, water or attention during handiling in the mail and that do not create sanitary problems or obnoxious odors are mailable
----------who determines what is harmless?-----------------

Other live, non poisionous. and non disease carrying insects may be sent through the mail when properly prepared for mailing and when shipped under regulations of the US Department of Agriculture.
----------are slings capipable of producing venom in amounts actually harmful to a human?--------------------

other than that i would say that this is 100% defendable in court(should anyone get in trouble). Like i said who determines "harmless" and it does say small hermless cold blooded animals (except snakles and turtles) are mailable...

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm.... I dunno. When I worked at a pet store we used to get our reptile shipments (including snakes and turtles) as pkgs sent to the store, but maybe they went by UPS or FedEx or something.

Also, I'd say T's are harmless b/c you're not in any kind of danger at all unless you poke at it w/your bare finger! ;P

I guess you just put that warning on it "danger--do not poke or tease venomous spiders" {D wouldn't be so helpful, eh? :p

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
shipping...

I ship all my T's through Pak-Mail. They know me quite well and assure me of correct labeling, packaging and discounts to move the through the system without any hassles. 99% of the time I use next day air,( DHL, FedEx )
USPS priority mail (second day) can be a pain, depending on where it's going.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
rosehaired1979 said:
When I shipped my Ts out they never asked me what was in the package
Nope, just the whole "Is there anything fragile, liquid, or hazardous" thing. I always tell them it's CDs and DVDs I don't want to get too hot or scratched. The postmaster at the office I work at knows I ship T's and doesn't care. She's pretty interested actually.

There was something similar to this thread posted a while ago, but the original post has been deleted. Anywas, I got this from the USPS website:

80 Publication 52
525.3 Reptiles
All snakes, turtles, and poisonous reptiles are nonmailable.

525.4 Poisonous Insects and Spiders

All poisonous insects and spiders, except scorpions under limited
circumstances (see 526.5), are nonmailable. Other nonpoisonous and
nondisease-conveying insects are permitted as stated in DMM C022.3.8 and
in Exhibit 526.6.

And this, referring to shipping live scorpions:

526.5 Live Scorpions
The mailing of scorpions is limited by the restrictions in 18 U.S.C. 1716.
Under this limitation, scorpions are mailable only when sent for the purposes
of medical research use or the manufacture of antivenin. Scorpions are
nonmailable under any other circumstances. See Exhibit 526.5 and DMM
C022.3.9 for mailing conditions that apply to permissible shipments.
Exhibit 526.5
Restrictions on Mailing Live Scorpions
Live scorpions are mailable only if EACH of the following conditions is met:
1. Must be for delivery only within the continental United States.
2. May be sent only by surface transportation.
3. Must be sent only for special purposes of either:
Medical research use
Manufacture of antivenin.

Last edited:

OUChevelleSS

Arachnopeon
starzzzcollide said:
I'm also wondering if that means it's safe to write "Live Harmless Invertebrates" on the box. I think most people are so freaked out by T's that writing "Live Harmless T's" would cause more problems than it's worth!
I actually talked to Kelly Swift about this today as I am about to purchase a few more spiders and have them sent to my dorm room and was having similar concerns on packaging (mainly getting it by my dorm's post office and RA). He said he doesn't mark the packages saying what is inside because people would most likely kick the box around or throw it around if they hate spiders and such.