1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post ultimate male, sperm web.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Philth, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Philth

Philth N.Y.H.C. Arachnosupporter

This male G. rosea was successfully bred with my female last year. About a year and a half, to 2 years after his last molt, he attempted a post ultimate molt. His palps got stuck in the molt, and the only way I saw to free him was to cut the old skin. He was kinda mangled,& one of his fangs dried bent inward. And after about a week he droped one of his palps, that was still stuck in the old skin(exuvia sp?). Now hes catching crickets(evan with his jacked up fangs), and today i found him making what looks like a sperm web:? What the deal, whens he gonna die? Another interesting thing i noticed, was that his carapace totally lost the purple"rosey" color after the post ultimate molt. Its almost bald and jet black. Check him out!

Attached Files:

2. danielr6543

danielr6543 Arachnosquire Old Timer

I wouldnt think it would live much longer. I have heard a story about a long liveing L. Parahybana male that has lived for about 4 years or so. After the males mature if they live any longer when they molt again they must lose the pedipalps for some reason. If i remember correctly Kelly Swift had an article about a male he had that did the same. Im not to sure though. Its cool that your male rosey has lived this long. Mine only lived about 4 months after its ultimate molt. By the way great picture .
  3. Telson

Telson Arachnodemon

If it's still got one palp and it's trying to load it, you may as well try to get the record for oldest male T to father a sack!:D
  4. Joy

Joy Priestess of Pulchra-tude Old Timer

5. Philth

Philth N.Y.H.C. Arachnosupporter

I dont think he can breed anymore. Im not sure if i was clear in my last post. This palp that he still has is still stuck in the old skin. I had to cut around it to free him,he was dragging the skin around becuase he couldnt pull it out. Here is a pic of it. It is kinda mangeld, and i did not see him try to fill it after he made the sperm web.

Attached Files:

• palp.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
  6. sinsect

sinsect Arachnosquire Old Timer

SE US
    I have a Rosie male that will probably never die. rosea males are sort of notorious for ditching the odds, and escaping death for extended periods of time. I agree that he's probably unable to breed after the molt. I'd just try to keep him comfortable and hope he sticks around for awhile longer, if only as an anomoly :)