Post-molt Problem

Gizaru

Arachnopeon
I am currently having an issue with my tarantula after her most recent molt. She has been on her back for a week since completing her molt and doesn't seem to be making any attempt to get up. At this point I am very worried. Is there anything that I should be doing? I am considering trying to feed her food like you would to a fang-less tarantula if she is still alive after another week. Is this a bad idea?

I've owned her for 20 years and she already appeared to be a few years old when I got her. She is either a Chilean Rose or a rose hair tarantula but I'm not completely sure which.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
She's likely dead. Did you get her as a adult? Cuz that's very old if so.

Pics are needed and would help alot.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
If she is still responsive to stimuli I would attempt to keep her hydrated by putting drops of water on her mouth right at the tips of the fangs she may be very dehydrated.
If they are taken keep it up till she recovers hydraulic strength and can right herself.

Gizaru

Arachnopeon
I can't get pictures right now, but I'll try to get some soon. This is her only molt when I didn't have substrate, and I'm worried maybe she is unable to turn over because of the ground she is on.

She is clearly still alive right now and she doesn't seem to be getting weaker or anything she just doesn't seem to be getting up.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Interesting. Definitely post some pictures. What do you mean you didn't have substrate, though? She should always be on substrate in her enclosure.

Gizaru

Arachnopeon
Sorry I misspoke. There isn't the usual substrate that I've buy for her. Something happen to her original enclosure so she is currently material that is on rockier material than I would like. When I got the usual substrate I came home and noticed she was already setting up for molting and didn't want to disturb her.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Sorry I misspoke. There isn't the usual substrate that I've buy for her. Something happen to her original enclosure so she is currently material that is on rockier material than I would like. When I got the usual substrate I came home and noticed she was already setting up for molting and didn't want to disturb her.
Ahh, tarantulas shouldn't be on rocky/sandy substrate at all. Cocofiber or topsoil or a mixture of those with peat/sphagnum moss are acceptable but stuff with rocks in it are a no-no.

Gizaru

Arachnopeon
Yeah I usually have cocofiber. I had only thought she was going to be on this for 2 days, but I didn't want to disturb her after I noticed when I noticed she would probably be molting soon.

Gizaru

Arachnopeon
I haven't been home to take a picture but she supposedly moved to the side of the cage which worries me because she is not on the coco fiber substrate. It's been almost 2 weeks. I'm wondering if I should try moving her into a different cage with Cocofiber substrate eventually. Should I give her more time? Should I try flipping her over at any point?

A housemate sent me this picture.

Attachments

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Definitely try dropper feeding her some water. She's probably very dehydrated.

Good on you for keeping her happy and healthy for so long! If she does die, she definitely had a great caretaker <3

Gizaru

Arachnopeon
I've been giving drop watering her. She seems to be a lot stronger than when I first started. She has been carefully moved back onto her normal substrate. I did not flip her because I am worried that she might be staying on her back for a reason.

Her fangs appear hardened so I am going to try to see if she is willing to "scavenge" if I hold up pre-killed food for her.

Sana

Arachnoprince
If you're going to try to feed her that way (and I may have showed up after the fact) I would go for cricket soup. It's absolutely disgusting but more effective than an entire cricket in this case.

Gizaru

Arachnopeon
I haven't done it yet but I plan to cut it into pieces and then offer it in tiny bits.

Gizaru

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice. After reading a bit more I see that trying to offer her food could have led to some bad results.

Her condition seems to be fluctuating, and her abdomen is still smaller than usual. I still am hoping she will pull through.

Are there any other food sources that might be good to make into a 'soup'? Or should I stick with crickets?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the advice. After reading a bit more I see that trying to offer her food could have led to some bad results.

Her condition seems to be fluctuating, and her abdomen is still smaller than usual. I still am hoping she will pull through.

Are there any other food sources that might be good to make into a 'soup'? Or should I stick with crickets?
You should be able to use any feeder you might normally give to her. Crickets, roaches, mealworms, etc. I hope she pulls through for you. She sounds like quite the old girl. Keep us all posted!

Gizaru

Arachnopeon
Over the last week she looks like she was getting better for awhile but then slowly started to deteriorate in quality again. She finally died today.

Thanks for all your help.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Over the last week she looks like she was getting better for awhile but then slowly started to deteriorate in quality again. She finally died today.

Thanks for all your help.
I’m so sorry for your loss :(

Leila

Arachnobaron
I am so sorry that you lost her...I'm glad you had a good 20 years with her though..
Much love to you. :shy: