possible trapdoor spider find in Virginia

kellakk

Arachnosquire
Trapdoor spiders are an understudied group. The best guess I can make for this individual is Ummidia sp., since an advanced search of bugguide.net shows only Ummidia in your area.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
I agree, pretty sure some Ummidia species. Maybe I'll be able to track down an expert. I know a few university's professors are working with them. Definitely understudied, which is sad because there is so much reading I want to do.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
It is definitely Ummidia sp. as your images captured the "saddle-like depression" on the tibia of leg pair lll which I can spot even from a dorsal image like these.

Here is a better angle of the depression. http://bugguide.net/node/view/25330

Which species would require a lot of close up/detailed shots of specific anatomical features depending on which species you speculate it is. Spiders in the Ummidia genus are virtually identical to the naked eye.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
I figured that was the case - virtually identical to the naked eye. I intended to take good photos but my camera had been borrowed by a coworker. Good camera or not, I imagine the shots necessary could be difficult to take.

Is there a reason more people do not keep Ummidia sp. versus those common in the trade?

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I figured that was the case - virtually identical to the naked eye. I intended to take good photos but my camera had been borrowed by a coworker. Good camera or not, I imagine the shots necessary could be difficult to take.

Is there a reason more people do not keep Ummidia sp. versus those common in the trade?
Most people who desire trapdoors are not fortunate enough to have time to search for them, or have the luck to stumble across one. Much easier to buy an African trapdoor from a reputable dealer.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
ah haven't seen much literature or accounts of the others here in VA, thanks! I'll have to do some research and see where they can be found. I keep Sphodros abboti, very cool creatures. I'd love to find Antrodiaetus...

Ignoring the original picture, the silken sheathe, this tube-like structure is VERY similar to what I saw out in the woods and described in the OP. http://eol.org/data_objects/24853994, Antrodiaetus burrow.
I figured they could have been from wolf spiders - they were very large, opening nearly a silver dollar, and heavily silken. One came up through 6" tall grass, well constructed and webbed, one from mosses. I figure they may still be from wolf spiders. I will have to go back if possible. I found a small structure, constructed of grasses, coming from a hole that yielded a small burrowing wolf spider - very beautiful. I will post pictures of them.

I also found a young trapdoor burrow which I will monitor through the year - I will also post pictures of this. Awesome to see how cryptic its door is.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
Found another trapdoor in the same location on Tuesday. I was wondering if they will build through the pine mass and first handful I lifted contained a trapdoor. I opened the lid and found that it was home, but had webbed up a half inch down the hole... The silken tube was not in the soil much if at all and, the next day, the entire structure was gone. Predation??? I was shocked to see it was gone. It looked as though it wasn't a great spot, so I am not surprised if the spider decided to change location, but the actual silken structure missing?

The one I have been monitoring has since added much to the lid and widened its hole. Very fun to watch over time.

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Anyone else accidentally read the title as "Possible trapped spider in Vagina"?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Anyone else accidentally read the title as "Possible trapped spider in Vagina"?
Brain fart? Freudian slop? Been digging in the dirt too long? Can we get you a nice glass of warm milk?

Loptylop

Arachnosquire
omg now i wanna go hunting for trapdoors, i also found holes near a pine needle tree while walking my dog

Papi

Arachnopeon
Hey All,
I've been pretty interested in trapdoor spiders. I keep Gorgyrella "black" sp. and Cyclocosmia torreya. I have been most interested in finding trapdoors in the wild to make some observations and answer some questions, mostly about their dispersal.

I have not done extensive field searching, but a good deal of reading and asking folks. I work for an archaeological firm doing GIS and, while out GPSing stuff, I am always searching for herps and now trapdoor spiders.

Thursday, July 18th, 2013 I was out GPSing in Spotsylvania County, VA and noticed a hole, slightly larger than a quarter, that was very cleanly cut. I regret not photographing the actual hole with the GPS - I did not have my phone or camera with me. The hole was essentially on a small patch of dried moss. The area in front of the hole looked to be fairly modified. I did notice a very, very small possibly wolf spider at the entrance - very possibly having taken cover from me at the entrance of the hole. Though there was no lid, I moved substrate around to find only one other incomplete hole with a silken sheath loosely laid inside. I have attached pictures of the sheath I found, which I brought back to my office.

I found no actual trapdoor spiders, no trap doors, but a few other holes. I did find one heavily silken tunnel, large and complete, coming from the ground into some low lying grass. Definitely not a funnel web but possible a very large wolf spider. I have never seen holes or tunnels like this. I am from NJ and most of my experience in the field in VA has been in the mountains, possibly explaining why I have never seen tunnels of this kind nor wolf spiders large enough to occupy a tunnel of that kind.

Any thoughts on what the attached may be? I did take a GPS point for the location of the hole and I hope to go check it out if the land owner complies.

Environmental conditions: east facing slope, predominantly pine needle ground cover with some oak and willow oak leaves, clay soil. The tunnel was near the base of a tree on a mossy patch.

View attachment 118995

View attachment 118996

View attachment 118997

Sean
I know this post is old but if you are still looking for trapdoor spiders i have 2 of them that i know of at my work. I have seen 2 spiders but have found 4 different holes. I am willing to catch them if you are still interested

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I know this post is old but if you are still looking for trapdoor spiders i have 2 of them that i know of at my work. I have seen 2 spiders but have found 4 different holes. I am willing to catch them if you are still interested
Dude hasn't posted. Don't revive a dead thread responding to an OP who doesn't post :banghead::banghead:

Ambly

Arachnobaron
I've posted but not in this threat. I did end up finding Ummidia around here and have gotten much better at finding trappies. Thanks for the offer though, man

Hawker

Arachnopeon
I live in Spotsylvania and I too am looking for trapdoors but not having any luck. Did anybody try to keep them as captives curious how they did in captivity?

Jason82

Arachnopeon
Hey All,
I've been pretty interested in trapdoor spiders. I keep Gorgyrella "black" sp. and Cyclocosmia torreya. I have been most interested in finding trapdoors in the wild to make some observations and answer some questions, mostly about their dispersal.

I have not done extensive field searching, but a good deal of reading and asking folks. I work for an archaeological firm doing GIS and, while out GPSing stuff, I am always searching for herps and now trapdoor spiders.

Thursday, July 18th, 2013 I was out GPSing in Spotsylvania County, VA and noticed a hole, slightly larger than a quarter, that was very cleanly cut. I regret not photographing the actual hole with the GPS - I did not have my phone or camera with me. The hole was essentially on a small patch of dried moss. The area in front of the hole looked to be fairly modified. I did notice a very, very small possibly wolf spider at the entrance - very possibly having taken cover from me at the entrance of the hole. Though there was no lid, I moved substrate around to find only one other incomplete hole with a silken sheath loosely laid inside. I have attached pictures of the sheath I found, which I brought back to my office.

I found no actual trapdoor spiders, no trap doors, but a few other holes. I did find one heavily silken tunnel, large and complete, coming from the ground into some low lying grass. Definitely not a funnel web but possible a very large wolf spider. I have never seen holes or tunnels like this. I am from NJ and most of my experience in the field in VA has been in the mountains, possibly explaining why I have never seen tunnels of this kind nor wolf spiders large enough to occupy a tunnel of that kind.

Any thoughts on what the attached may be? I did take a GPS point for the location of the hole and I hope to go check it out if the land owner complies.

Environmental conditions: east facing slope, predominantly pine needle ground cover with some oak and willow oak leaves, clay soil. The tunnel was near the base of a tree on a mossy patch.

View attachment 118995

View attachment 118996

View attachment 118997

Sean
Hey All,

View attachment 118995

View attachment 118996

View attachment 118997

Sean
Is this a trapdoor spider?