1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible to use incubator?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Jmanbeing93, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Jmanbeing93

Jmanbeing93 Arachnosquire Active Member

2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoprince Active Member

Yes it is possible to incubate egg sacs. But we are talking about home-made incubators for the purposes of Theraphosidae yes??

What is the story behind this question. Give us the details please

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight Active Member

I don't think that the eggs would require any additional heat over what they would get in the cage with the mother. I've seen a egg sac roller somewhere on you tube that was essentially a very slow rock tumbler. It rotated the sac around in a drum to simulate the mothers care during that critical first month. It seems to me that if you do it this way you're only getting rotation along one axis vs the mother's care which I would guess is more complex than a machine can provide. Personally I've never had a female eat her sac, all the duds get buried in the bolus corner. I've had duds on the female's first sac from LPs, vagans, albos, pzbs, robustums, a. Avics and t. stirmis so those aren't the most aggressive species. I usually don't pull sacs until after the 1st or 2nd month. I figure the female knows what she's doing and will only abandon the sac if she feels it has gone bad. Every time I replace the empty sac with a sac full of tp they abandon it days later.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

yeah i dont add heat to an incubator either.

Definitely possible, but its way easier to leave it with mom.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Jmanbeing93

I was just looking at reptile stuff, saw an egg incubator and wondered if it was possible to incubate tarantula sacs.

6. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnodemon Active Member

I'm sure you're talking about RobC69 from the YouTube channel, that was a great invention, I don't see him uploading tarantula videos any more, shame as they were informative and extremely interesting, from DIY backgrounds to mechanical moms, time-lapse recording of egg sacs from a
    P. metallica, they were awesome to watch. I miss his channel, I wonder why he stopped, does anyone have any idea why. Anyway, the point being yes you can use an incubator, there are a few on here that are extremely useful, search for "the sac was viable after all" the information is all there on how to make one and how to use it, it's one search away - you'll find all the relevant information you need right here on AB of course.;)

7. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnodemon Active Member

@Jmanbeing93 Use the search option on this forum, search for "HELP, egg sac was viable after all" you'll find all the relative information you need, it shows you how to make your own incubator, no need to buy an expensive piece of unnecessary equipment, can I ask why your looking for an incubator, if it's for the purpose I'm assuming it's for, then this search will help you no end, really this is a great thread to follow, and see how and when to care for eggs, 1i, 2i then how to raise them and sell the slings. I've given you all the help I can pal. Good luck.

8. Jmanbeing93

@mconnachan I am not really looking for a incubator but I was curious about whether or not I could use an incubator for breeding in the future.

Thanks for the thread, I will look at it. :)