Possible mycosis?

vyadha

Arachnosquire

S heros heros blotched female. One corner is kept moist by misting twice a week. I checked if there is any pooling of water or visible mold and none. A thriving springtail colony is in the enclosure. A micro fan is angled into the enclosure every other day to increase ventilation.
Substrate is 50% sand, 30% coco, 20% potting soil.

I noticed the black on the antennae last week, the day after she was fed a large orange head nymph that got a few kicks in.

No other visible black spots so Im thinking these could be mechanical injuries from the roach or mycosis. Other heros enclosures are kept the same and no signs.

Tips?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
The fact that you have a thriving springtail colony in a desert pede enclosure tells me it might be a little too moist. I'd definently dry it out a bit more.

Thanks,
--Matt

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
The fact that you have a thriving springtail colony in a desert pede enclosure tells me it might be a little too moist. I'd definently dry it out a bit more.

Thanks,
--Matt
I've collected springtails from some very Very dry locations.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Injured areas turn black but mycosis causes injury so it's hard to tell. Moisture usually causes a systemic infection on inverts so when that's a problem, you'd probably see it on several legs especially at the joints.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I've collected springtails from some very Very dry locations.
I believe it. When conditions are dry they congregate in moist areas, making collection rather easy if you look under a rock with moist earth. I wouldn't call them thriving though.

Injured areas turn black but mycosis causes injury so it's hard to tell. Moisture usually causes a systemic infection on inverts so when that's a problem, you'd probably see it on several legs especially at the joints.
Check the second leg discoloration at the tip and joint.

vyadha

Arachnosquire
Either way, the fan is running and keeping her dry.
The enclosure definitely looks on the dry side so hoping it’s mechanical.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just makes sense injuries can get infected too with bacteria and fungi so if there is a fungus infection, just looks local to me from your pic anyway. Yeah if you keep it on the dry side, seems to me it'd be OK. If you start seeing it get dark at the joints on maybe 5+ legs, that's a sign there's an environmental issue, from my experience anyway.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I believe it. When conditions are dry they congregate in moist areas, making collection rather easy if you look under a rock with moist earth. I wouldn't call them thriving though.

Check the second leg discoloration at the tip and joint.
You're implying that springtails need to retire to cover/humidity to remain able to thrive in environments lacking moisture, but pedes don't? How can a springtail population thriving lead you to believe it's too wet if both springtails and pedes live in the deserts. ?

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
You're implying that springtails need to retire to cover/humidity to remain able to thrive in environments lacking moisture, but pedes don't? How can a springtail population thriving lead you to believe it's too wet if both springtails and pedes live in the deserts. ?
The difference in their breathing mechanisms. Springtails breathe through a porous cuticle and can only control the amount of moisture they lose by staying in moist environments. Pedes breathe through their spiracles, which can narrow in dry environments to prevent water loss from respiration.