possibility of giant sized, undiscovered spiders?

sezra

Arachnosquire
I just watched this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acO54CL-YeI

I found it interesting, I was just wondering what your thoughts are. Is there a chance there may be giant spiders science has yet to discover? I think there may be bigger spiders still to be found, maybe 1.5-2ft maximum, but im not so sure about "giant" spiders.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
While there are still arachnids left to discover, maybe even huge ones, they won't be THAT huge.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While there are still arachnids left to discover, maybe even huge ones, they won't be THAT huge.
Yeah, you're right. They'll probably be in the 7 foot range.

7 is the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

lancej

Arachnolord
Because you're _______ fired!
LOL!!
I think there are possibilities of large spiders yet to be described. At least half of them are already in collections in museums/universities around the world.

prairiepanda

Arachnoknight
There is a physical limit to the body mass of arthropods, due to the structural limits of their exoskeletons. Another limiting factor for spiders in particular is their respiratory and circulatory systems, the design of which would not be able to support very large masses of living flesh. The spiders we know of already are nearing these limits. We certainly won't be discovering any man-eater sized spiders.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
depends on what you mean by 'giant-sized' lol..

Do you mean BL alone, or legspan included?

Some spiders have a small BL, but a huge legspan

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I doubt it. If there was spiders that big, I can't imagine that no one would have ever seen one. At that size it wouldn't be easy for them to hide.

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
I doubt it. If there was spiders that big, I can't imagine that no one would have ever seen one. At that size it wouldn't be easy for them to hide.
It's fairly easy to hide no matter your size in places like Madagascar and Brazil.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I could possibly believe in a spider bigger than Theraphosa but I wouldn't expect anything too exaggerated. Arthropods are severely limited in size and weight. The biggest land arthropod discovered is still the coconut crab (large ones can remain in a burrow to molt for over a year!) Marine arthropods would have their weight supported by water so they are not as limited.

Here's a good video about the square-cube law. There is also a good site about the life of arthropods that has great slideshows with examples of how the law works but I can't find it anymore. :-(

The Physics of Science Fiction

Kazaam

Arachnobaron
Indeed! I've had moose sneak up on me and the woods here are not nearly as dense as the jungles of South America!
I've had a couple of deer sneak up on me, and we barely even have any real forests left here.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
2 foot is possible, When CO2 levels go back up.... I doubt someone missed a spider 2 feet long.... Goliath pink-foot can get 1 foot-14 inches in the wild that pretty big , Goliath bird-eater can get 13 inches very fat.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
2 foot is possible, When CO2 levels go back up.... I doubt someone missed a spider 2 feet long.... Goliath pink-foot can get 1 foot-14 inches in the wild that pretty big , Goliath bird-eater can get 13 inches very fat.
1 foot 14 inches? Looks like you have been speaking to the Monster Quest directors haven't you.