Porcellio Ornatus

Consultant

Arachnopeon
Hi, new member here so if anyone wants to redirect me I'd appreciate it. I got into the isopod hobby a few months ago and I got my porcellio ornatus to breed. There was a group of ten specimens of various sizes in the enclosure and they seemed happy and healthy whenever I checked on them twice a week. When they had the babies under one piece of bark, I noticed only two adults stayed under it, and then the rest were under the other. Besides that it was normal and the 2 isopods and the babies weren't hording any of the resources. I ended up having about 100 babies, and they all were growing fine, but then I found the partially eaten body of my largest individual. I was confused but since they already started eating it I didn't remove it from the cage. I also thought since it was the largest it was also the oldest and could have died due to that.

Fast forward a few weeks and I noticed another adult had died, this time it was the smallest one and It wasn't touched at all, which confused my. There were no issues with the individual from my examination but that got me worried. I ended up separating the adults and the babies and when I tried to find all the adults, I only found seven, so during this whole time I had them, i may have lost another one. I haven't noticed any dead babies or any dead adults in the quarantine.

I give them crushed egg shell, keep plenty of leaves in there, keep a corner of the tank moist, always have it at around 80 degrees, and offer items like carrots, sweet potato, broccoli, squash, and different fresh greens.

I am honestly so surprised by all of this and just wondering if any of you would have some idea of what's going on.

neoncacti

Arachnopeon
You might wanna try offering them more protein. Random deaths are a normal occurrence, but I would recommend buying some fish food or offering dead roaches or stuff like that as porcellios tend to crave protein more than the rest.

Consultant

Arachnopeon
You might wanna try offering them more protein. Random deaths are a normal occurrence, but I would recommend buying some fish food or offering dead roaches or stuff like that as porcellios tend to crave protein more than the rest.
Thank you, I do often give them the yolks of hard boiled egg, but I will definitely try fish flakes