Porcellio expansus care

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
I'm planning on picking some up (15 to be exact) early this summer. So far I've learned they need lots of space and hiding areas since the males are territorial (10gal for them all), dry with a moist area, and good ventilation. I know they like it warm, but I don't know what temperature. I'm also not certain if it would be best to separate the babies or not since I've heard the males might eat them. Any other tips would be appropriate!

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
I'm planning on picking some up (15 to be exact) early this summer. So far I've learned they need lots of space and hiding areas since the males are territorial (10gal for them all), dry with a moist area, and good ventilation. I know they like it warm, but I don't know what temperature. I'm also not certain if it would be best to separate the babies or not since I've heard the males might eat them. Any other tips would be appropriate!
They generally shouldnt differ from other big spanish species. Carefully with heat, this species is considered to be sensitive to high temperatures so try to keep it up to 27 °C.

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
They generally shouldnt differ from other big spanish species. Carefully with heat, this species is considered to be sensitive to high temperatures so try to keep it up to 27 °C.
Thanks! Would 18°C at night and 23°C during the day be fine?

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Thanks! Would 18°C at night and 23°C during the day be fine?
I wouldnt go under 20°C. Dont overthink it, just keep them on room temperature and prevent overheating.
Here is nice article about care by one great isopod breeder:
https://www.mravce.info/?p=1421 (it is in slovak, but I may translate some parts for You if interestested.)
And my favorite photo by him:
https://www.facebook.com/afanimals/photos/a.436783779776857/1665581810230375/?type=3&theater

I personally only keep P. hoffmannseggi, great and hardy animals.

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
I wouldnt go under 20°C. Dont overthink it, just keep them on room temperature and prevent overheating.
Here is nice article about care by one great isopod breeder:
https://www.mravce.info/?p=1421 (it is in slovak, but I may translate some parts for You if interestested.)
And my favorite photo by him:
https://www.facebook.com/afanimals/photos/a.436783779776857/1665581810230375/?type=3&theater

I personally only keep P. hoffmannseggi, great and hardy animals.
Any good ways to heat them (aside from heating the room)?

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Any good ways to heat them (aside from heating the room)?
I dont have much experience with heating, I currently only use heating for my reptiles as my flat did not fall under 23 °C during coldest parts of winter, but carefully used heating mat or cable should work (probably better heating some space like bigger box, part of closet/wardrobe or shelf than enclosure irself). How do You deal with heating for Your other inverts?

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
I dont have much experience with heating, I currently only use heating for my reptiles as my flat did not fall under 23 °C during coldest parts of winter, but carefully used heating mat or cable should work (probably better heating some space like bigger box, part of closet/wardrobe or shelf than enclosure irself). How do You deal with heating for Your other inverts?
I don't heat my other inverts.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I see you're in Alberta, I'd love to know where you found this species for sale if you could DM me please....

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Have people noticed these things dying at colder temps? They ain't tropical animals. P. expansus is from Spain and can be found at the same latitude as Barcelona, where it's currently 13c and can get down to freezing in winter.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Have people noticed these things dying at colder temps? They ain't tropical animals. P. expansus is from Spain and can be found at the same latitude as Barcelona, where it's currently 13c and can get down to freezing in winter.
To be more specific, I believe this species is a Tarragona and northern Castellon endemic. The average low for the year in the city of Tarragona is 7.5 C/45 F, and I hope you almost never drop down to those temperatures in your house. They might protect themselves against low winter temperatures when it gets really cold, but I doubt they're bothered by room temps.