Porcellio dilatatus (Giant Canyon) Isopod as Arid Bioactive CUC

JesseofOB

Arachnopeon
Hi, does anyone have experience using these as part of a clean up crew in bioactive enclosures with lizards such as leopard geckos or bearded dragons? I bought some for this purpose after reading they were a good fit, but just learned they are major substrate feeders. I don’t want a clean up crew that’s going to force me to dismantle my whole habitat to replace the substrate after some undefined period of time. Any real world experience people have had with this species would be appreciated.

P.S. I’m new to this forum so forgive me if I do something wrong on my first post.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Just want to say welcome to the boards, someone with experience keeping those will chime in!

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hi, does anyone have experience using these as part of a clean up crew in bioactive enclosures with lizards such as leopard geckos or bearded dragons? I bought some for this purpose after reading they were a good fit, but just learned they are major substrate feeders. I don’t want a clean up crew that’s going to force me to dismantle my whole habitat to replace the substrate after some undefined period of time. Any real world experience people have had with this species would be appreciated.

P.S. I’m new to this forum so forgive me if I do something wrong on my first post.
You generally find CUC only consume organic waste, like mould or decaying plant matter.

They don't eat animal waste

I think the only exception would be Blue Death Feighning beetles, but they would probably be eaten by your pets.