Population control

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Hello all! So my springtail culture has exploded recently and I was wondering if there is such a thing as to many springtails in one culture? Seeing is how I only have one vivarium that needs springtails, I’m not sure what to do with the remaining. Any help would be much appreciated.

theDHill

Arachnopeon
Hello all! So my springtail culture has exploded recently and I was wondering if there is such a thing as to many springtails in one culture? Seeing is how I only have one vivarium that needs springtails, I’m not sure what to do with the remaining. Any help would be much appreciated.
The two best options that I could foresee would be to divide your current colony up a bit and sell starters for other people or local petshops OR maybe reduce the temperature of you colony just slightly to slow down reproduction rates.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I would guess that these won't eat each other, so with a given amount of food (assuming you keep it constant by adding) they should reach a stable population size like any other species.

Keke713

Arachnoknight
The two best options that I could foresee would be to divide your current colony up a bit and sell starters for other people or local petshops OR maybe reduce the temperature of you colony just slightly to slow down reproduction rates.
That does sound like a good idea. I’ll have to look into some members that stay in the Houston area

Keke713

Arachnoknight
I would guess that these won't eat each other, so with a given amount of food (assuming you keep it constant by adding) they should reach a stable population size like any other species.
I’m not to sure. I feed them once a week and make sure the water level is adequate. First time working with springtails

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Sell some to other people, or you can just kill them/freeze them/...

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
That does sound like a good idea. I’ll have to look into some members that stay in the Houston area
Hello :) I'm currently ramping up my springtail production in an effort to get enough large cultures that I'll eventually be able to sell starter cultures.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Also, you can give away starter cultures for free while selling things. I'm sure a lot of beginners would be really happy to get a spring tail culture for free :angelic:. And build your reputation more.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I would slightly reduce feedings so that way the carrying capacity is slightly reduced, and then we schmiggle said they will reach a stable population size.