Poopy as a Pokey

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I just rehoused an Avicularia braunshauseni from a habitat she'd only been in about 8 weeks, and you would think that an entire herd of communal Poecilotheria had been crashing around in there for a year! I'm still scraping poop off glass. She is in an identical habitat to a Caribena versicolor, whose habitat is still pristine.

This braunshauseni is also jumpy and bolty as all get out and doesn't like to eat. I hate to keep holding the Versi up as an example of the good child, but I speak as I find. The versi almost always eats, just as the braunshauseni almost never does. The braunshauseni is for sale, by the way. :bored:

Now of course arboreals are going to be generally messier than terrestrials if for no other reason than because they have some vertical run up on their side before the big splat!

But can you think of some specific tarantula species that are particularly messy, as opposed to others that might be particularly neat?

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
I just rehoused an Avicularia braunshauseni from a habitat she'd only been in about 8 weeks, and you would think that an entire herd of communal Poecilotheria had been crashing around in there for a year! I'm still scraping poop off glass. She is in an identical habitat to a Caribena versicolor, whose habitat is still pristine.

This braunshauseni is also jumpy and bolty as all get out and doesn't like to eat. I hate to keep holding the Versi up as an example of the good child, but I speak as I find. The versi almost always eats, just as the braunshauseni almost never does. The braunshauseni is for sale, by the way. :bored:

Now of course arboreals are going to be generally messier than terrestrials if for no other reason than because they have some vertical run up on their side before the big splat!

But can you think of some specific tarantula species that are particularly messy, as opposed to others that might be particularly neat?
Your writing style is amazing:rofl: I find that my Ephebopus murinus is pretty clean ime. Potty trained, even. She poos and deposits bolouses into her water dish. Rarely misses. Gotta admire her dedication to a clean enclosure!

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Your writing style is amazing:rofl: I find that my Ephebopus murinus is pretty clean ime. Potty trained, even. She poos and deposits bolouses into her water dish. Rarely misses. Gotta admire her dedication to a clean enclosure!
Now if you could just figure out a way to plumb her water bowl so she could flush it!

NewT GBB

Arachnopeon
Your writing style is amazing:rofl: I find that my Ephebopus murinus is pretty clean ime. Potty trained, even. She poos and deposits bolouses into her waterdish!
Hilarious. I scrolled down to post my e murinus as a clean freak. Eats like an absolute pig. And right on que, scraps in the water dish ‍♂

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My A. variegata and P. subfusca 'Lowland' are both poop cannons, the former always goes for the front door of his enclosure.

I swear my E. cyanognathus just used to point his arse out of his burrow in a random direction and let fly, there was always crap on the lid of his RUB.

My B. albo is a clean freak, boluses always go in the water dish.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I swear my E. cyanognathus just used to point his arse out of his burrow in a random direction and let fly, there was always crap on the lid of his RUB.
I think my E. murinus does the same, poop all over the lid and only the lid. At least it makes for easy clean up.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Yeah, that's pretty much it, boluses get chucked in or next to the water dish and poop goes on the lid, nowhere else.
I wish mine would put boluses in the water dish, I have yet to find one. They are probably all down it's burrow, but it's just a youngster so prey is fairly small and it has springtail roommates so hopefully it's not too disgusting down there.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They are probably all down it's burrow
My genic dumps hers in her hide (that's all she uses it for) and my P. antinous has a second chamber in her burrow that she dumps everything in.

My Psalmos are pretty consistent with putting leftovers in/near the water dish, my Avics/Caribena just chuck them anywhere.

My A. chalcodes and P. atrichomatus are complete slobs, severed legs and boluses all over the shop

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Avics crap everywhere. My NW terrestrials, esp the Brachy's, almost as neat as a leopard gecko.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
My c.minax does this as well, only craps on the lid and lid only.
See what i am talking about? My c.minax is the worst by far even worse than my p.metallica. you can see my minax lid on the left and a clean lid on the right belonging to one of my p.muticus. The other picture shows my minax next to lividum just for fun because who dosent love web tubes?

Attachments

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Avics crap everywhere. My NW terrestrials, esp the Brachy's, almost as neat as a leopard gecko.
My Caribena (I know, not Avic. any more, but still) puts its boluses and crap in the back left corner of its enclosure. Its webbing is on the right side of the enclosure. My A. avic. on the other hand, is a crap sprinkler!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
My first Avicularia avicularia used her water dish as a toilet. (I used to joke that I would get a video of her going in this little pink toilet I found on eBay and then say I potty-trained her.)

My current Avicularia avicularia prefers to poop on the front doors of her enclosure. She backs up with her butt hanging off the porch, and I swear she aims for the crack between the doors. Her boluses are strung from the porch as trophies/warnings.

My Psalmopoeus cambridgei climbs up through the top of her retreat and throws her boluses as far as she can across the cage. She has recently taken to pooping in her own nest.

My Grammostola pulchra poops in her water dish and sometimes uses the poopy dish as a canvas for mixed media artwork.