Poll: How tolerant is your significant other of your tarantulas?

Well?

• Total voters

Kayis

Arachnopeon
I'll probably use that pick up line(I'm single, and my go-to pickup line is "Hey, baby. Want to see 57 tarantulas?") as a way to scare them away after i'm bored of them. If they stick around I'll get a keeper...good deal right? jk. Single and enjoying the zero restrictions on what i bring home ....assuming I have the extra funds to do so.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
She absolutely loves spider, scorpions, snakes (hots almost as much as I do), and centipedes then again she's an entomologist so I guess I got lucky.

Leila

Arachnobaron
My fiance is simply tired of hearing me blab all day about tarantulas. Haha.
I said to him the other night: "What is worse: having to hear me complain about how much I hate my job or...listening to me gleefully spout out all the new knowledge I've gained pertaining to tarantulas?" His response: "Please tell me more about the tarantulas." :)
He is pretty helpful with the Ts too, and my SO absolutely looks forward to feeding day. :)

Last edited:

Chuckmater

Arachnopeon
I chose Some what disaproves not their favourite thing

She hates spiders such as house spiders etc, but Tarantulas she can tolerate as it has hair, she must tolerate it more than I think as she is buying me my first T in August possibly sooner.

It may even help rid her fear of them in general ;):happy:
IN AUGUST!! How can you wait that long?!?!?!?!??? Brave one...brave one...

Magenta

Arachnosquire
My husband didn't like the Ts much for the first 2 years or so. This past weekend, I picked up a G. rosea and a B. albopilosum. I needed more substrate, so he said " well, if we have more substrate, we might as well get more Ts" :)

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
I'm in the I don't care what they think catagory.

Oh that's right, I'm divorced......lol

u bada

Arachnopeon
The SO is horrified of them. I mean, it's great that I've managed to bring home and keep the 3x I have but I don't even grasp how you all manage to have SO's that are cool with it. Privilege you people have.

In fact, mentioning this new hobby/obsession with friends every single one of them was horrified. Not that I have a lot of friends, but just sayin, every. single. one.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
mentioning this new hobby/obsession with friends every single one of them was horrified. Not that I have a lot of friends, but just sayin, every. single. one.
Well, they've been conditioned to be horrified by tarantulas by movies, TV, and probably family members too. You just have to show them that it's fun, and dispel those ignorant notions that are out there. It's not for everyone, but most people that are exposed to them over time grow to enjoy them to some extent.

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
My wife was totally phobic - didn't even look at them. She still goes absolutely full-on screaming retard at the sight of any tiny spider in the house. BUT for some reason she was fascinated by- and wanted a centipede. I fought it for a while and told her I didn't like them. Then I said she could have the centipede if I could get a T. BOOM! One S. subsnipes and one Lp! A couple months later a N. coloratovillus. Tonight she found a B. albo that we're going to "look" at tomorrow! :astonished:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, I love those that clicked "Doesn't even know that I have them. Shhhhhhh... "

Best thing to do, in such situations, ever. Like Bluebeard said: "never in this room..." :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My wife was totally phobic - didn't even look at them. She still goes absolutely full-on screaming retard at the sight of any tiny spider in the house. BUT for some reason she was fascinated by- and wanted a centipede. I fought it for a while and told her I didn't like them. Then I said she could have the centipede if I could get a T. BOOM! One S. subsnipes and one Lp! A couple months later a N. coloratovillus. Tonight she found a B. albo that we're going to "look" at tomorrow! :astonished:
Lol! That makes no sense at all...scared of relatively harmless tarantula and house spiders, but in love with a S.subsnipes....nice trade of though :)

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
Lol! That makes no sense at all...scared of relatively harmless tarantula and house spiders, but in love with a S.subsnipes....nice trade of though :)
The heart wants what the heart wants, I guess.:angelic: As it turns out, I LOVE that centipede! Who knew?:wacky:

tiptoeTs

Arachnopeon
My husband doesn't care for mine. I only have one, which I ordered without his knowing. I've been pestering him daily since its arrival to let me have an LP. I tried to tell him some people have over 100 and he refuses to believe me :shifty:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Lol! That makes no sense at all...scared of relatively harmless tarantula and house spiders, but in love with a S.subpinipes....nice trade of though :)
Yesterday (early evening) while I was sitting here she was out after a month of full 'pet hole'. Went out for dinner, returned home and when I turned on the lights of my room she was at the top of the enclosure, trying to escape. She was hungry... she always act like that when she's hungry: not even after 1 second she jumped on the roach and, after, she returned under the cork bark in pet hole mode :)

While waiting for someone that can prove me I'm wrong I say that doesn't exist another venomous invert able to make your heart pump so much, no 'OBT', S.calceatum nor 'Haplo' nor L.quinquestriatus nor else :-s

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yesterday (early evening) while I was sitting hereIshe was out after a month of full 'pet hole'. Went out for dinner, returned home and when I turned on the lights of my room she was at the top of the enclosure, trying to escape. She was hungry... she always act like that when she's hungry: not even after 1 second she jumped on the roach and, after, she returned under the cork bark in pet hole mode :)

While waiting for someone that can prove me I'm wrong I say that doesn't exist another venomous invert able to make your heart pump so much, no 'OBT', S.calceatum nor 'Haplo' nor L.quinquestriatus nor else :-s
I believe you. There is something about the way they move and act
that has me cringing. Lots of people collect them besides Theraphosidae, but I don't think I will ever get one.