Pokie Enclosure Terrarium

parthicus

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, I just set this exo terra 12x12x18 up for my new p. regalis. I was wandering what your thoughts are on it? Is there anything else that I could add or do?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would have went for a smaller diameter cork round. It just seems you have a tank for your cork round.

In my opinion, I'm not expert on Pokis mind you, I think having the cork round fill up the tank gives you less working room. And, less room for the T to navigate around you should it feel it needs to. I realize they dart into their hides often. I just think it's too wide, and thus doesn't give the T enough room to move around the cork round. My NW arboreals don't like cramped situations when I'm doing their husbandry. Just my two cents.

Also, remove the screen lid, replace with acrylic lid, holes drilled in for ventilation. Ts will get caught on screen via tarsal claws.

Your T shouldn't need a heat lamp, IF that's what I see?

I'd probably provide a bit more plastic plants, but that could be the Avic keeper in me.

@Poec54
@cold blood
@Toxoderidae

what do you 3 think?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ts like small spaces they can squeeze into and feel safe, i doubt a regalis will feel at home in that hide. it will most likely build a home behind it, as thats a smaller space. id personally go for a smaller cork round or split that one down the middle and prop one side up against the side or back of the enclosure. a acrylic top would be ideal. id add some fake plants for more of a natural look.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
heres a pic of my regalis set up. note the tight spaces especially.

Attachments

parthicus

Arachnopeon
I would have went for a smaller diameter cork round. It just seems you have a tank for your cork round.

In my opinion, I'm not expert on Pokis mind you, I think having the cork round fill up the tank gives you less working room. And, less room for the T to navigate around you should it feel it needs to. I realize they dart into their hides often. I just think it's too wide, and thus doesn't give the T enough room to move around the cork round. My NW arboreals don't like cramped situations when I'm doing their husbandry. Just my two cents.

Also, remove the screen lid, replace with acrylic lid, holes drilled in for ventilation. Ts will get caught on screen via tarsal claws.

Your T shouldn't need a heat lamp, IF that's what I see?

I'd probably provide a bit more plastic plants, but that could be the Avic keeper in me.

@Poec54
@cold blood
@Toxoderidae

what do you 3 think?
I will definitely look into making a acrylic top. I will see if i can cut the cork round or find a smaller piece. Also, the fixture just has an led bulb for display purposes only, no heat us emitted. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

parthicus

Arachnopeon
Ts like small spaces they can squeeze into and feel safe, i doubt a regalis will feel at home in that hide. it will most likely build a home behind it, as thats a smaller space. id personally go for a smaller cork round or split that one down the middle and prop one side up against the side or back of the enclosure. a acrylic top would be ideal. id add some fake plants for more of a natural look.
I will definitely work on that. Also, thanks for including a picture of your setup. I have a better understanding of what I should do now.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I will definitely look into making a acrylic top. I will see if i can cut the cork round or find a smaller piece. Also, the fixture just has an led bulb for display purposes only, no heat us emitted. Thanks for the suggestions and advice.
If you've got your heart set on that cork round, you could construct partitions to divide the large inner diameter into smaller spaces. That would give your pokie multiple smaller diameter hides.

Last edited:

parthicus

Arachnopeon
If you've got your heart set on that cork round, could construct partitions to divide the large inner diameter into smaller spaces. That would give your pokie multiple smaller diameter hides.
That is a good idea, i could just get another piece or pieces of cork bark and put in down the middle.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
That is a good idea, i could just get another piece or pieces of cork bark and put in down the middle.
Yeah. You could even divide it into fourths, if the spaces are still too big. I would use outdoor bark, but I understand if you have cleanliness concerns. Robc just hot glues pieces together:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I agree with everything said above. I use cork slabs placed on the back at an angle, so they can build their own hide to their desires, and still have a very large area to feel secure without webbing, where nothing can see them at all. A large amount of leaves as anchor points outside the cork is good too. I've seen my heavy webbing species grabbing these and moving them into their hide (regalis, metallica).

The screen top obviously will be changed.

Now, I'm not an advocate of Exo Terra for Poecilotheria, but it works. @Venom1080 did a perfect example of a Pokie enclosure. Many spots to hide and feel secure, plants, and a waterdish. I've noticed once your Pokie, especially adults feel secure, they'll be out all the time. I currently have 3 metallicas and a regalis all sitting on their cork, waiting for prey.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The screen top obviously will be changed.

Now, I'm not an advocate of Exo Terra for Poecilotheria, but it works. @Venom1080 did a perfect example of a Pokie enclosure. Many spots to hide and feel secure, plants, and a waterdish. I've noticed once your Pokie, especially adults feel secure, they'll be out all the time. I currently have 3 metallicas and a regalis all sitting on their cork, waiting for prey.
ive used exo tera for nearly all my poec juvis with no ill effects. gives them all the sub for a web tunnel thing and plenty of room for climbing. never had a problem with screen tops for any arboreals, but terrestrials are a different story.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I have a couple screens for my young slings, and the only reason I dislike them is they're hard to get that micro-climate in. Arboreals seem to have a lot less problem with the getting caught thing, I've even seen them just chilling on the screen, then walk right off.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have a couple screens for my young slings, and the only reason I dislike them is they're hard to get that micro-climate in. Arboreals seem to have a lot less problem with the getting caught thing, I've even seen them just chilling on the screen, then walk right off.
just block part of the top with clear food wrap or clear tape.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ive used exo tera for nearly all my poec juvis with no ill effects. gives them all the sub for a web tunnel thing and plenty of room for climbing. never had a problem with screen tops for any arboreals, but terrestrials are a different story.

Before I switched to acrylic, as I didn't have a piece on hand, I had an A. metallica which had a difficult time. I'll never use screen again. I'm surprised you guys haven't had probs at all.

Before I switched to acrylic, as I didn't have a piece on hand, I had an A. metallica which had a difficult time. I'll never use screen again. I'm surprised you guys haven't had probs at all.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Why? I thought they would be good, given they have double doors, thus minimizing escape.
Micro climate problems, no cross ventilation, and the screen. I only have screens because I have nothing else for them atm.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Micro climate problems, no cross ventilation, and the screen. I only have screens because I have nothing else for them atm.
The ventilation from the lower black portion below the doors and above, even without screen, not enough? Be curious to see what the Europeans, bet they are in glass cubes like Avics.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
The ventilation from the lower black portion below the doors and above, even without screen, not enough? Be curious to see what the Europeans, bet they are in glass cubes like Avics.
Wait, exo terras have front ventilation? All the old gecko and treefrog ones I got don't have that. Just the top.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
yes there is vent in front, micro climate can easily be made to work with what i mentioned before, you can also put tape on the bottom of the screen lid which reduces the amount of screen the spider could get stuck in. im a pretty big fan of exo tera.