Pokey

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have 10 t's once I get one it stay with me for ever
yeah, but ten brachypelma and Grammostola, or 10 including at least one adult Psalmopoeus? big difference. .
metallica, rufilata and regalis are some of my favs.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Honestly, just get the one you like most. Temperaments will vary a little between species. But either way, you should practice the same caution with all of them. They're all capable of being fast, and they all have a nasty bite. So as long as you accept the risk, it's not a problem.

I would also like to point out that larger doesn't necessarily mean more difficult. Just house it in an appropriately sized enclosure, and there will be no difference how big it gets. I personally LIKE large spiders for their ability to impress:D

Walker253

Arachnobaron
My "Pokie", a P regalis was the 2nd OW I acquired. Fearing the rehouse back then, and still a little now, I bought an adult female and put her in her forever home, a 12x12x18 Exo-Terra. She is great after 6 months of hiding in a cork tube. She's not super flighty or defensive. Her having a place to hide has made things fairly easy. For that 6 month hiding period, I would have suggested a different species, but now she's cool.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Do not speak such blasphemy to the Goddess. Your heresy shall be cast out. Bow down young Moakmeister. Recognize the Queen!
You are mistaken my friend. The TRUE queen is Regina the G. pulchripes. Look at these adorable 2" juvie eyes. That's Death itself staring you in the face.
Regina profile pic.jpg
And look at these wicked .25" fangs. If those get you (and they will) you'll bleed out in a matter of seconds, if the lethal venom doesn't get you first.
Regina\'s fangs.png

Walker253

Arachnobaron
You are mistaken my friend. The TRUE queen is Regina the G. pulchripes. Look at these adorable 2" juvie eyes. That's Death itself staring you in the face.
View attachment 229409
And look at these wicked .25" fangs. If those get you (and they will) you'll bleed out in a matter of seconds, if the lethal venom doesn't get you first.
View attachment 229410
This kid gets one tarantula and suddenly he "has arrived". Lololol
@cold blood you enabled him...

Joe1662

Arachnopeon
Yeah I have a juvie P. regalis and a juvie P. metallica and my metallica has grown far faster than my regalis...they were both about the same size when I got them and my P. metallica is probably almost an inch larger...and my regalis is no slouch when it comes to growth.

One question I have is what tarantulas do you own currently? Mostly NWs or OWs as well? Terrestrials, arboreals, both? I love pokies ( :p @Chris LXXIX) but just remember that these guys are FAST and their venom packs a serious punch. Some of them get very large as well. If you want a generally smaller and less defensive (usually...YMMV) pokie then a P. metallica is the closest there but they are also very expensive so it might be a better idea to start with something cheap like a P. regalis to make sure you enjoy keeping them and are comfortable with them.
I have both nw and ow

Joe1662

Arachnopeon
He didnt say no, he just tried to point you in a better starting place for ow...and i agree, but for all we know youve been keeping baboons already.

I agree. Get a few cheaper slings and raise them. Perfect starter. But if you come across another dirt cheap sling, go ahead, but i would stay away from ornata, rufialata, tigrinwesselii and formosa....the first 2 are huge, the second 2 seem to be most high strung.

My first was a vitatta freebie, and unlike the previous poster, it stands today as the single slowest growing pokie ive ever had. Terrible eater when small, but a total beast as an adult....pretty sure shes gravid, too.

Good to know. Have you owned Psalmopeous? Theyre great prep for pokies, especially cambridgei....you will like raising a pokie sling, great hunters generally and they grow to juvies at a good pace.
Also getting one of these to

Joe1662

Arachnopeon
yeah, but ten brachypelma and Grammostola, or 10 including at least one adult Psalmopoeus? big difference. .
metallica, rufilata and regalis are some of my favs.
I understand 100% what you mean thank you