Pogo stick

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
The fact that someone doesn't need a permit, or something similar, for keep one of the most badass venomous snakes :-s
Eh, you don't need a permit for a chainsaw - which you could use to cut the head off every child at a playschool.

Keeping a dangerous snake like this, is generally only a danger to the keeper. So it doesn't really matter if they die, it's their own risk.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I feel like this video is relevant:

I'm assuming bothrops venom acts similarly. I read about someone who was bitten by an egyptian asp (Cerastes vipera) and the blood falling out of the wound congealed before it hit the floor.

Having said that, those guys are absolutely adorable, and if you intend to keep them responsibly (which it sounds like you do), I will be very excited to see how this progresses :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I really love the looks and behavior of certain snakes, but I'd never be bold enough to keep them. Mainly, because I know my boundaries and I'd rather not die because I made a mistake. Love cobras, mambas and those native to Germany though...Vipera berus I believe (Kreuzotter).

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In colder climes it has been noted the hematotoxin predominates, aiding digestion, and in warmer climes around much of central Asia, the neurotoxin is more present as it debilitates prey more quickly.
This is really interesting, I never thought about that

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I feel like this video is relevant:

I'm assuming bothrops venom acts similarly. I read about someone who was bitten by an egyptian asp (Cerastes vipera) and the blood falling out of the wound congealed before it hit the floor.

Having said that, those guys are absolutely adorable, and if you intend to keep them responsibly (which it sounds like you do), I will be very excited to see how this progresses :)
That video is kinda misleading in a way.

What would happen, is that the venom causes your blood to use up all its clotting factors pretty quickly - so you actually bleed to death, rather than dying from all of your blood coagulating. As you can no longer clot your blood.

And thanks haha.

I really love the looks and behavior of certain snakes, but I'd never be bold enough to keep them. Mainly, because I know my boundaries and I'd rather not die because I made a mistake. Love cobras, mambas and those native to Germany though...Vipera berus I believe (Kreuzotter).
I can understand not wanting to keep some species.

However, something like a Vipera berus - you've got to be doing something quite ridiculous to be bitten by such a small snake.

There is nothing stopping you from using 4ft long hooks and using a rubbish grabber for feeding, for those small species to be extra safe. Practically eliminating any chance of being bitten.

There are tons of beautiful small venomous species, like Bitis caudalis or cornuta too.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, irrational fear and all that.
It's not irrational, man. At all. Irrational fear was the ban of arachnids happened in Italy (please note that I'm not saying this because happens that I'm both, Italian and into arachnids) for that, frankly, when "you" dare to compare a G.rosea to an Atrax robustum, seriously everyone will start to laugh hard at such ignorance. I'm sure everyone will agree on this.

Now we are talking, on the other hand, about a pretty badass venom snake. IMO a bit of a regulation (I'm not saying ban, uh) or permit would be nice to have.

Call me "anti democratic" now or what else, but (without considering for a moment that in Italy venomous snakes were banned in the '80)
I wouldn't give the "freedom" to own such powerful venom animals to certain idiots like someone that, while driving at 170 km/h perform a selfie and die in a crash (true fact, happened just the other day here) or other "yahoo" like those.

For that other people could pay their crap.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
It's not irrational, man. At all. Irrational fear was the ban of arachnids happened in Italy (please note that I'm not saying this because happens that I'm both, Italian and into arachnids) for that, frankly, when "you" dare to compare a G.rosea to an Atrax robustum, seriously everyone will start to laugh hard at such ignorance. I'm sure everyone will agree on this.

Now we are talking, on the other hand, about a pretty badass venom snake. IMO a bit of a regulation (I'm not saying ban, uh) or permit would be nice to have.

Call me "anti democratic" now or what else, but (without considering for a moment that in Italy venomous snakes were banned in the '80)
I wouldn't give the "freedom" to own such powerful venom animals to certain idiots like someone that, while driving at 170 km/h perform a selfie and die in a crash (true fact, happened just the other day here) or other "yahoo" like those.

For that other people could pay their crap.
The fear is irrational in a sense, as the government think if these snakes were to escape they'd go round the streets biting person after person. When in actuality they'd find somewhere to hide.

It's not hard for these "idiots" to buy a venomous snake, you can buy at the Hamm/Houten show without a license. But most people are aware of how dangerous some of these animals are, and won't purchase one.

Having said that, I know a 17 year old in Texas, that's already been bitten 7 times in a year and half...lol. Luckily for him, all 7 were dry bites.

Remember, the license system isn't there to protect the keeper (In the UK). It's there to protect the public - how it should be, everywhere. My council don't care if I die, just as long as the snakes don't escape.

I don't disagree with the system, on the whole - in the U.K.

But in some states in America, it's easier to buy a firearm than a venomous snake haha. That's what I disagree with.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Love cobras, mambas and those native to Germany though...Vipera berus I believe (Kreuzotter).
Say nothing :)
I have a passion for Cobra, they are so elegants. IMO the most classy snake.

Mamba :eek: <-- Eek! Christ

As far for vipers, man, those are cool. I like the ones we have in Northern Italy woods. They aren't a joke (still nothing compared to those, of course). Recently a new one, Vipera walser, was discovered if I'm not wrong. And not so far from where I live :angelic:

This:

http://www.serpenti-del-ticino.com/2016/06/la-vipera-dei-walser-vipera-walser.html

http://www.nationalgeographic.it/dal-giornale/2016/07/09/news/una_nuova_vipera_per_l_italia-3145373/

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The fear is irrational in a sense, as the government think if these snakes were to escape they'd go round the streets biting person after person. When in actuality they'd find somewhere to hide.

It's not hard for these "idiots" to buy a venomous snake, you can buy at the Hamm/Houten show without a license. But most people are aware of how dangerous some of these animals are, and won't purchase one.

Having said that, I know a 17 year old in Texas, that's already been bitten 7 times in a year and half...lol. Luckily for him, all 7 were dry bites.
Yeah, the truth. Is this that I don't like. Only because someone has the cash for, doesn't mean he/she should. Anyway you're right and we are talking about a 98%, if not more, expert-only area, a niche one, so the risk is limitated.

Remember, the license system isn't there to protect the keeper (In the UK). It's there to protect the public - how it should be, everywhere. My council don't care if I die, just as long as the snakes don't escape.

I don't disagree with the system, on the whole - in the U.K.
True, and I completely agree with that. Not a ban, limitations or else, but the possibility to keep those with, at the same time, an "eye" for others.

But in some states in America, it's easier to buy a firearm than a venomous snake haha. That's what I disagree with.
Ah ah, I loved when you talked about that in the other thread, just like "avoid bites in the neck area" that I love to scavenge from the tomb :p

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
What would happen, is that the venom causes your blood to use up all its clotting factors pretty quickly - so you actually bleed to death, rather than dying from all of your blood coagulating. As you can no longer clot your blood.
Sort of. Hemotoxins destroy proteins as red blood cells causing hemolysis as well as disrupting blood clotting by disrupting thrombin conversion.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
@Matabuey as my family owns quite a few firearms, I feel I should put my 02. cents into this.

In order to purchase a gun, at least in GA, AR, and WI (the three states I have lived in) First, you had to explain that you wished to purchase said gun. Okay, easy. Then, you had to show valid ID (had to be state issued) again, simple, and to prove you aren't a felon or someone likely to go shoot up a school. Then, after they confirm you're clean and all, you have to wait between 24 - 48 hours before you can purchase the gun. We have several high power rifles like Mosin-Nagants, and we also have guns like .22 caliber rifles that I had as a little kid.

And to add on to that, you need to go through safety courses to own a gun in many states, and then as my father wanted a concealed carry permit, despite having a hunting license and all that, was required to go to multiple safety courses in order for him to own a gun. So no, what you're saying is incorrect, as in many states, as long as the animal isn't native, you can keep it.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
@Matabuey as my family owns quite a few firearms, I feel I should put my 02. cents into this.

Ito prove you aren't a felon or someone likely to go shoot up a school.
And this works so well...evidently not.

Because guns are so abundant in America, you can source guns legally or illegally very quickly. If i tried to obtain a gun in England, i wouldn't have any idea where to start - I could call my cousin in California and i bet he could get a gun by the end of tomorrow.

You can purchase guns at a gun show without the need for background checks, as stated in this CNN article.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/19/news/guns-background-checks/

Note also: "The killer, Dylann Roof, bought his .45-caliber Glock at a gun store in Charleston, where he would have been required to pass a background check. Though he had been arrested earlier this year for trespassing and drug possession, he apparently met the legal criteria."

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
And this works so well...evidently not.

Because guns are so abundant in America, you can source guns legally or illegally very quickly. If i tried to obtain a gun in England, i wouldn't have any idea where to start - I could call my cousin in California and i bet he could get a gun by the end of tomorrow.

You can purchase guns at a gun show without the need for background checks, as stated in this CNN article.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/19/news/guns-background-checks/

Note also: "The killer, Dylann Roof, bought his .45-caliber Glock at a gun store in Charleston, where he would have been required to pass a background check. Though he had been arrested earlier this year for trespassing and drug possession, he apparently met the legal criteria."
Again, depends on state. In GA, one of the Mosins we just got is an original 1940's (43 I want to say?) Mosin. We still had to fill out typical information, background check, the only difference was we were able to take the gun home the same day. Not to mention unless you can provide more proof that there are many times more law abiding gun owners than nutcases, and prove to me that what I said was false (this case was different, as if he was a felon, which shows, then the gun store/show was completely at fault, as in GA at least the check is mandatory.) I'm to disregard what you're saying, as for someone against fear mongering and overhyping, that's exactly what you're doing.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Again, depends on state. In GA, one of the Mosins we just got is an original 1940's (43 I want to say?) Mosin. We still had to fill out typical information, background check, the only difference was we were able to take the gun home the same day. Not to mention unless you can provide more proof that there are many times more law abiding gun owners than nutcases, and prove to me that what I said was false (this case was different, as if he was a felon, which shows, then the gun store/show was completely at fault, as in GA at least the check is mandatory.) I'm to disregard what you're saying, as for someone against fear mongering and overhyping, that's exactly what you're doing.
You clearly didn't bother reading what I said earlier. "In some states it's easier to purchase a gun than a venomous snake".

Nothing to do with fear mongering, it's pretty clear you have a shooting practically every single day. It's just facts.

I'm not saying everyone gets shot, am I. But there's a very good reason why you have so many people dying from firearms - because of your ridiculous amendment that was written in a time where guns were not what they are today.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1358714637472844&id=114517875225866&_rdr

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
You clearly didn't bother reading what I said earlier. "In some states it's easier to purchase a gun than a venomous snake".

Nothing to do with fear mongering, it's pretty clear you have a shooting practically every single day. It's just facts.

I'm not saying everyone gets shot, am I. But there's a very good reason why you have so many people dying from firearms - because of your ridiculous amendment that was written in a time where guns were not what they are today.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1358714637472844&id=114517875225866&_rdr
1. I said law abiding citizens. Shootings, which almost always occur in urban areas and gang related violence goes back to race and well, gangs. Criminals will be criminals regardless.

2. On that facebook post alone that video was shot down. Read through the comments, they prove that fully automatic weapons existed even back then.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
1. I said law abiding citizens. Shootings, which almost always occur in urban areas and gang related violence goes back to race and well, gangs. Criminals will be criminals regardless.

2. On that facebook post alone that video was shot down. Read through the comments, they prove that fully automatic weapons existed even back then.
Some fully automatic weapons, and they would've have been even more expensive.

Not like it is now, where automatic weapons cost next to nothing and have been accessible to practically anyone over 18.

There is more than gang related violence in America lol. The amount of random shootings you have is staggering.

I don't know why so many Americans want to protect their right to own guns. Every other civilised country gets on without them, without needing "to protect my family".

Either Americans are more mentally unstable than other people in civilised countries or gun access is far too easy. It's quite safe to say it's definitely the latter.

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Nice pic. Had a view of a rattler like that once at about that range. Didn't like it one bit. (Pardon the expression)

Say, how about you posting your set-up and the protocols you have established for containment and anti bite??
Oh I only just saw your last paragraph. Did you add it in later? As I swear I didn't see initially.

Protocols for containment and anti bite - locked tank and don't take risks haha.

I'm not one that takes risks with any venomous snake I keep. There are a lot of people that put their hands into their enclosures while the snake is in the enclosure - to change water, then they get bit, for example.

They underestimate snakes ability to cross the entire enclosure.

I always make sure the snake is completely secured before doing any maintenance. Or use other tools to fill up water bowls, for example. Like pouring water down a hose pipe, so my hands aren't in the enclosure or near. (For bigger snakes).

I don't free handle either. I have quite a few friends that do, all have been bit multiple times.

I've been keeping nearly 8 years without a single close call, because I'm meticulous in the way I deal with these animals. I only do what's absolutely necessary.

Their enclosures. They're all housed separately.

This particular one can also hide under this big leaf at the front of the enclosure, as I dug out the sub from underneath it:

Last edited: