Genus Poecilotheria

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Tom, are those all the same sex? How big are they? Any problems with them or do they behave?
There is 4 full grown adult females in there, they were hatched and raised together from slings when I hatched them a few years ago. They've never been separated. I started with about 12, but removed some to sell as the males matured. I'd say they lived together peacefully with little problems, but I did record 2 deaths since I've kept them like this. One was a mature male that lived with them for a few months post maturity. I'm not sure what set off one of the females to eat him, after living together peacefully for a few months, but it happened.

The other was recently after I took that pic. Its hard to see in the picture but there was a smaller one at the top of the piece of wood. For whatever reason that one was growing much slower then its siblings. I cleaned out the cage just before that pic, because phorid fly's were invading the cage. They seemed out of sorts since I've cleaned out the cage that day, and one of them ate that smaller one. I blame cleaning out the cage on that death, since they were fine together all along. I believe cleaning the cage , confused or stressed them causing one of the females to go bonkers and eat a roommate lol. Putting spiders back in a fresh cleaned out cage is like introducing them to new territory that they are not familiar with and can make them do weird things. That's my theory at least, the 4 larger females seem to be getting along since then. I'm also raising P.vittata(pederseni), P. smithi, P. metallica, and P. fasciata in communal type set ups with no problems that I can see.

P.vittata(pederseni)

P. metallica

Later, Tom

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been reading about how Pokies could be kept communally, but it is truly amazing to actually see it practice. Awesome photo!

There is 4 full grown adult females in there, they were hatched and raised together from slings when I hatched them a few years ago. They've never been separated. I started with about 12, but removed some to sell as the males matured. I'd say they lived together peacefully with little problems, but I did record 2 deaths since I've kept them like this. One was a mature male that lived with them for a few months post maturity. I'm not sure what set off one of the females to eat him, after living together peacefully for a few months, but it happened.

The other was recently after I took that pic. Its hard to see in the picture but there was a smaller one at the top of the piece of wood. For whatever reason that one was growing much slower then its siblings. I cleaned out the cage just before that pic, because phorid fly's were invading the cage. They seemed out of sorts since I've cleaned out the cage that day, and one of them ate that smaller one. I blame cleaning out the cage on that death, since they were fine together all along. I believe cleaning the cage , confused or stressed them causing one of the females to go bonkers and eat a roommate lol. Putting spiders back in a fresh cleaned out cage is like introducing them to new territory that they are not familiar with and can make them do weird things. That's my theory at least, the 4 larger females seem to be getting along since then. I'm also raising P.vittata(pederseni), P. smithi, P. metallica, and P. fasciata in communal type set ups with no problems that I can see.

P.vittata(pederseni)

P. metallica

Later, Tom

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Rehoused a 20 piece P. metallica tonight. Rehousing communals makes me nervous, as they are all being introduced to new turf. Hopefully they will adjust and get along...

Later, Tom

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tom,

I think the community would be much more successful with 19 vs. 20 members.

I'll pm you my shipping information.

mholmgree

Arachnopeon
Could use some help figuring out the sex of my metallicas, both are approximately 4in.
Thanks in advance...

Crappy pics of my ornata and fasciata

---------- Post added 01-14-2014 at 02:15 PM ----------

Could use some help figuring out the sex of my metallicas, both are approximately 4in.
Thanks in advance...
wow, now seeing these pics on a pc, they suck. sorry about the quality...

mholmgree

Arachnopeon
She was actually out during the day...
I know I just posted a pic, but here are two more of my largest girl.
Fasciata