Poecilotheria ventral sexing :)

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
i had quite good look with getting ventra-shots of a few of my Pocilotheria juvies that are still unsexed. I am only able to sex by old skin, but maybe someone here could be so nice and say theyr opinion on these spiders? :)

0.0.1 Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli

0.0.1 Poecilotheria metallica

0.0.1 Poecilotheria regalis

0.0.1 Poecilotheria subfusca

Not a pokie, but i thought it would be ok ;)
0.0.1 Psalmopoeus pulcher

Not the best pictures, but i hope you could give me your thoughts on them!

Cheers,
Jan Philip

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well you have two for sure males,

Your tigrinawesseli is a male and the subfusca is a male.

Regalis ehhh I'll say female. (tricky little brats sometimes)

Pulcher is a female.

I think it might be a bit early for that metallica but Ill say female for now. The flash glare is almost convincing me otherwise.

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the quick answere! Too bad that the subfusca is a male, have to hope for the otherone :) I will take some new shots when the metallica molts the next time.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the quick answere! Too bad that the subfusca is a male, have to hope for the otherone :) I will take some new shots when the metallica molts the next time.
When you do get more pics, take them like you did with your regalis up and down shots. It makes it easier to look at. I was sitting here turning my head side to side to get oriented at what I was looking at in all the other pics {D

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm gonna go with what Ryan said.

I'm almost 100% sure that is a female metallica, but like Ryan said, it's still questionable.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with all of that as well. Maybe its just me but that subfusca is odd to me though. It just seems odd...

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That metallica subfusca and tigris looks male to me
regalis and pulcher looks like ladies
Anastasia

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replys. I would say its safe to say that my P. pulcher is a definite female, and so is the regalis. Will sex them again with the cast skin with the next molt, if it is possible.

As a last question, do you mostly sex (ventraly) by looking at the "main" hair, if there are missing paches or not? I keep trying to see the small spinnerets (fusi-something), but i cant realy see them. And i see people sexing spiders with pictures that arent nearly sharpenough to see such structures. It seems to be the "trend" with my spiders atleast. The tigrinawesseli, subfusca (and i would say metallica) all have a small more or less naked patch, just where the genitalopenings are (dont remember the propper name).

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey guys, I found this thread by the way so i'm not opening a new one about it..

Here are my 16 poecilotheria sp. that are hitting the 3'' mark. Would anyone try to take a guess? Yes I know it's not 100%.. it's just a guess.. wait for the molt, pokies are hard to sex etc .. :)
But anyways, It's a fun little guessing game and I think I have five 100% males there if i'm not mistaken.

The ones that I think they are male's:
-P.regalis sp.1
-P.tigrinawesseli sp.3
-P.miranda sp.2
-P.rufilata sp.2
-P.formosa sp.2

P.metallica

P.regalis

P.tigrinawesseli

P.miranda

P.rufilata

P.subfusca

P.formosa

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Obvious males:

regalis 1, tigrina 3, miranda 2, & rufilata 2

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Obvious males:

regalis 1, tigrina 3, miranda 2, & rufilata 2
Yeah, exactly my thought :) My P.miranda sp.1 just molted yesterday and it's also a male..Not so lucky with poec's this year :evil:

P.miranda sp.1

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If you're breeding, you need males.
I am breeding some species, just not anything that comes around, it's not worth it in my country.It's really hard to sell spiderlings, because of our small population.. So i'm much happier if they're turning out as female's ;)

Last edited: