1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poecilotheria subfusca

Discussion in 'Bite Reports' started by BakuBak, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. BakuBak

    BakuBak Arachnolord Old Timer

    for original raport - click ! :]
    I have permission from the author for using this raport ,
    it is vary free translation , I put hear only news that I thought to be important.

    date: 5.11.2004
    bitten by : 11cm leg span P.subfusca
    place of bite : leg
    1st symptom : ~40 sec - he lost feeling in his leg
    2nd symptom : ~30 sec - he started to feel dizzy
    3rd symptoms : ~4 minutes - he started to swell and had 41*c temperature

    he was throwing up and he was shivering , he felt very cold

    his sister gave him Ca2++ and colled for emergency ( but it was no time to wait for them ) but finally his uncle took him to hospital .

    when he was on his way to hosp he lost his conscious . doctors wear thinking that he is after drugs because he did not react for them ,- he couldn't speak ,
    they asc his uncle if something bitten him . and after this he woke up next day in hospital dont remembering what have happened . but after some kind of injection he was realised to home ( 6.11.2004), that same day - evening around 20 o clock he lost his conscious again .

    and again (7.11.2004) he was realised to home but the doctor sad that if this will last longer they will send him to better hospital ., after 4 days from bite still he had almost constant cramps .

    (8.11.2004 ) he started to feel better , lot of symptoms past , but at evening they all come back and he was hospitalized again ( this time for 3 days ) this time his sister gave them exact name of the spider but he dont think that they made any use of it ,

    10.11,2004 he was at home again. he was starting to feel ok again :]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GoTerps

    GoTerps Arachnoking Old Timer

    On November 1, 2007, I was bitten on my right hand by a ~3.5" DLS penultimate male Poecilotheria subfusca (he has since matured) while transferring the spider into a new enclosure. He bit down, at least twice, and did not leg go. I ended up shaking him off back into the enclosure.

    I've been bitten by theraphosids before, so I do have other bites to compare this one to, including a bad bite from a Cyriopagopus schioedtei.

    This bite, by far, had the worst immediate pain that I've experienced. My hand was on "fire" with pain immediately. Almost unbearable. Within a few minutes my hand had swelled to the point that I could barely move my fingers at the knuckle joint at all. Luckily I already had some Vicodin on hand from an unrelated injury, which I promptly took plenty of.

    By the middle of night, it seemed like every muscle in my body was in pain. The cramps started at this point (which I expected, as I experienced a lot of muscle cramps from my C. schioedtei bite). The first time I was able to fall asleep, I awoke with both calf muscles in full cramp... anyone who hasn't experienced a full on cramp, just know that this really hurts!

    By the early morning hours, I was actually having trouble breathing because the muscles all around my ribs and chest hurt so bad... if I tried to breath to deeply, the chest muscles would cramp. My fiance wanted to take me to the hospital, which I refused.

    By the next day, my entire hand and wrist were severely swollen. I staid on ibuprofen and vicodin, but it really made no difference. I kept ice on the hand, because numbing it was really the only thing that helped with the pain. I was utterly miserable.

    It was around noon that my neck and jaw began to really hurt. Turning my head hurt... opening my mouth hurt... my TEETH hurt! Eating actually became very painful as the jaw muscles were incredibly sore. All the muscles up the sides of the neck hurt a lot... just moving my head from side to side was painful.

    Walking became painful because my heels and the bottom of my feet hurt... a very strange feeling.

    Most of these symptoms continued over the next few days. All the joints in my fingers (of both hands) were very painful, and it was very difficult to do much with my hands. The muscle cramps continued... mainly in my legs, chest, and biceps.

    The worst of the symptoms dissipated after about a week or so, but even now, almost a month later, my hand still hurts, especially after using it for things like typing or writing. If I try and make a fist I can feel pain in the joints.

    An EXTREMELY unpleasant experience, to say the least.

    Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
    • Like Like x 1