Poecilotheria subfusca sizes

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I've done some searching on the boards and I only found out what I already knew: Lowland gets bigger than highland. However, I would like to know exactly how small or big they usually get, since I'm getting a highland female.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read an arcicle by Jacobi and I was surprised to find out that subfusca actually lives in temperatures that go as low as 40F.

So really, can I keep a CB specimen like I keep another Pokie, or do I have to worry about the temperatures like with Megaphobema?

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Come on people! Surely someone can answer these questions.

1. How big does the highland form get? 5"? 6"?
2. How worried do I need to be about the temperatures? It gets pretty hot here during summer.

The female I'm getting isn't exactly cheap, so I want to make sure I know everything about them.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think there is alot of confusion when it comes to p. subfusca, not many people want to answer your question's because they aren't sure themselves. Personally I have 2 p. subfusca, 1 was sold as a lowland form and one was sold as a highland form. My highland form is still very small and I won't know much about it until it gets bigger. I do know that my lowland can be kept at the same temp's my other T's are at- roughly 65-70 degrees. I don't know too much about the highland other than what you have said allready, they can be kept at cooler temps than other T's. I have a feeling that the original highland T's (original wc's)absolutely needed to be kept at lower temps in captivity whereas 2nd and 3rd generation's might not need such lower temps and might be acclimated to the temps in captivity.**only a guess.

I have also heard that p. subfusca might be one of the biggest pokies out of the genus but I have also heard they may be one of the smallest.

I don't know if this is completely true or not as well but I have read somewhere on one of the T forums that it is possible to have both lowland and highland forms come from the same sac.

I think what you should do is ask the seller what temps they keep it at and then imitate those temps when you get her.

I wish I could be of more help, but personally I don't know that much about the species other than it might be my favorite out of the genus :)

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, my highland female definitely seems to like cooler temperatures. She always hangs out near the freezed Pepsi bottle which I have next to the enclosure when it gets hot.

Edit: I also have a lowland female. Doesn't seem to affect her as much.

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, about the sizes. My highland female is still sub-adult and around 5 inches, so I'll guess she'll be atleast 6 inches as adult.

The guy I'm buying all my Pokies from, said the lowland form usually gets near 20 cm (near 8 inches).