1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poecilotheria sexual dimorphism in young juveniles

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Tuffz, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Tuffz

Tuffz Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Couldn't find this anywhere but i was wondering which gender would show more color on their leg bands as young juvies (if any).
    For instance i have a pair of regalis, both are a bit under 2". One of them (suspected female) is starting to show nice yellow colors on it's legs while the on other one (suspected male) they are not as present as on the first one.

2. Toxoderidae

Toxoderidae Arachnoprince

Please post pictures, as I have two P. regalis, with one having duller colors, yet both female. sexual dimorphism does not occur there, especially that small if it occurred at all.

3. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

You can ID Pokis' gender using the dot method I learned from Poec. Check my P rufilata, male on my profile's media.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. z32upgrader

z32upgrader Arachnobaron Active Member

Moore, OK
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tuffz

Tuffz Arachnoknight

I don't want to sex them:) i want to know if they differ in leg coloration as in who would show the colors first.
    And i did sex them that way:) the suspect female doesn't look to have "the dot" and the suspect male does

6. viper69

I think you made a mistake Z, based on what you wrote and what Advan wrote.

Advan wrote "..only species of Poecilotheria that can be accurately sexed dorsally...", Dorsally is the key phrase.

The dot method is ventral, and is accurate across the genus according to Poec. Now the one thing I remember from, and I THINK I'm remembering accurately, is he mentioned to me that the dot isn't always obvious like in my P rufilata pic.

7. viper69

Oh, you were only interested in what they look like, but not for the purposes of sex determination. Gotcha!

8. Poec54

Poec54 Arachnoemperor Active Member

USA

Young males tend to have vivid ventral coloring on their legs. I wouldn't go by that. People look at dorsal colors and markings and get themselves into trouble with wrong assumptions. You wouldn't believe how many Poecs have been mis-sexed over the years from people going by color and markings; you don't want to be one of those guys. The only species to accurately sex by juvenile color is ornata.

You're much better off looking at vents or molts. It's not hard to vent sex Poecs at 2".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1