Poecilotheria Rufilata to Poecilotheria metallica

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
So I've raised a Poecilotheria rufilata from sling to adult (mature male) now I'm ready to try a P Metallica.

This Rufilata I have was very easy to raise, it never tried to bolt, bite or any threats.

While I'd do maintenance it would stay in the corner close to my hand and the open door way with no issues.

Keeping in mind all tarantulas have their own personality within any genus' then deeper into species, how much different is a Metallica personality compared to a Rufilata?

Any other info for Poecilotheria metallica would be great thanks!!

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You happen to have a very easy going rufilata. I have three. All are flighty and don't hesitate to bolt about. While they haven't been very defensive they are rather flighty imo. While P.metallica seem to be much more calm. I have had several at this point. Males tend to be a bit more flighty while females seem to be quite calm and easy going for the most part. It's rare that they ever put on a bit of speed except when young . Slings to juvies that is. My adults are pretty easy to deal with and out for viewing much more than my rufilata. But that is just my experience. You might have other people say differently.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
You happen to have a very easy going rufilata. I have three. All are flighty and don't hesitate to bolt about. While they haven't been very defensive they are rather flighty imo. While P.metallica seem to be much more calm. I have had several at this point. Males tend to be a bit more flighty while females seem to be quite calm and easy going for the most part. It's rare that they ever put on a bit of speed except when young . Slings to juvies that is. My adults are pretty easy to deal with and out for viewing much more than my rufilata. But that is just my experience. You might have other people say differently.
Thank you!!!

Ryunss

Arachnopeon
I got a P. metallica sling recently and have noticed it to be rather bolty. Whenever I pick up the enclosure even super carefully it runs around like crazy before settling back into its web. It is an extremely good eater though and has not refused anything I have given to it. I’m sure the boltyness will get better with age but this is just my experience in the past couple of weeks with a couple of centimetre sling.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I have a few P met slings going now. They are my first Pokies that don't head down when I open the enclosure. Everything dealing with them takes longer because they are always in a position to take off. I'd hate to lose one.
I have one rufilata. While she is a bit more uptight than my other pokies, she usually heads for cover when the lid gets open.
Everything is carefully watched, but my tigrinawesseli are the calmest of my Pokie collection.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Thanks @Walker253 & @Ryunss.

have any of y'all received threat poses?

@Blue Jaye ???
The rufilata gave me one. I tend to leave them alone when they are "in the vicinity". Most are in gallon Snapware containers. When I pick it up, even softly, they move for cover.
I try not to put any tarantula in a position where they feel the need to throw a threat pose though. I have a couple that just can't help themselves and I think they live for it, yes you Miss H. minax and Miss M balfouri.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some people say P mets tend to be more nervous than some of the other Pokis.

Having owned P rufi, I can say your experience is not exceedingly rare, but most definitely not the norm. You were lucky. Don't be disillusioned by your rufi if/when you own a met, or you'll regret it. I've seen a female bolt, and she wasn't at full speed. Quick, very quick.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
From my experience, my P. rufilata displays herself a lot more than my P. metallica. They can both be equally as fast, but neither of them have been particularly difficult to deal with. When I rehouse pokies, I notice that their stress levels build the more you mess with them with jolty movements. If you are slow and steady, and move calmly, you can actually control the situation pretty well. Of course, you will always have exceptions. There will be pokies that dash if you even think about them too loudly;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Very active spider IME. Mine is always out. It did hide more as a sling.

More flighty and defensive then rufilata IME.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Any Poeciletheria no matter the species may be nervous/flighty. I wouldn't consider one species to be harder to keep then the next, although my P.metallica seem to be the most reclusive and prone to bolting. Of course, individuals will vary...as any pokie could potentially behave this way.

Providing a proper hide is imperative and will help prevent any escapes whilst doing maintenance.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Mine is still a sling, I've only had her for a little over a month. She's calmed down since then particularly after she started webbing and making herself at home...

My next Pokie to get is a Rufilata. Probably gonna wait till next year though...

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I have a sling which regularly throws me threat poses. My metallica are definitely the most skittish and flighty.

awiec

Arachnoprince
My P.rufilata was a very calm and reclusive individual, never saw him nor did he really ever give me trouble.

The AF P.metallica on the other hand is extreamly defensive, if you talk near her cage she gives a very impressive threat pose, fangs out and everything. Otherwise she is pretty visible and doesn't try to take off on me, though she usually goes sit in her cork tube whenever I open the cage. I've had her for 4 years and she has been the cranky queen of the collection for that entire time (though the Iridopelma gives her a run for her money).

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks @Walker253 & @Ryunss.

have any of y'all received threat poses?

@Blue Jaye ???
My rufilata have given me threat poses quite often. As for P.met only one male has given me a threat pose. I do have to agree that as slings or juvies P.met are very flighty but do calm down when they put on some size. As others have said here, don't be fooled a pokie is a pokie. They are capable of serious speed at any moment. While some individuals seem to be very calm, it can change very quickly for what seems like no reason at all.