Species Poecilotheria regalis

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have used rocks in the water bowl for about ten years now, and found it to be an effective way to reduce the drowned crickets in the bowl (talk about a potential bacteria problem). They still drown sometimes, but not as often. The rock also helps weigh down the plastic deli cups I use as bowls so the don't get tipped as easily.

It's true that crickets can probably crawl easily from a shallow bowl, but if I went that route I'd be doing little more with my time than constantly refilling bowls as the water evaporates. Also, shallow bowls will spill easily if not kept nearly level all the time, and even small amounts of substrate over the edge can cause the contents to wick out of the bowl and into the substrate. Too much work for me, I'll take a big bowl (8 oz deli with rock for terrestrials, 16 oz for aboreals) over a shallow one any day. Just a matter of personal preferance.

As an alternative to tubes, I use two cork slabs, arranged so the concave sides face one annother, which creates a nice space in between for the spider to adapt for a retreat.

Wade

Last edited:

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
personal prefs indeed. My regalis loves the wide dish and drinks from it and even though it evaporates quicker, it keeps the RH up in the tank by doing, especially in winter months when I need to keep a heater near the tanks. I must have wierd crickets around her cuz like I said before, they only seem to drown when I used rocks.

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i added a new flat slate of driftwood (wanted to use crokbark but my place doesnt sale them) at the edge of the tank, providing quite a shelter.
She is now making her home below the slate.. moving some moss away from original position and webbing ABIT.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just a thought.

My T's water bowls are all shallow enough that I don't have a problem with crickets drowning in them. However, crickets can drown in my gecko's water bowls, but I have a bioball in each one.

Bioballs are used for filteration in salt water tank setups, usually. It's just what i use instead of rocks to keep crickets from drowning.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BioBalls are a great idea, I've used them as well, but I'm not sure if I have enough handy for all my spiders! Annother altenative is pieces of plastic aquarium plants.

The dishes I use are wide AND deep, so I get the evaporative benefit as well, but I don't have to fill as often.

The rock-style bowls work great since crickets can easily scale the sides, but I couldn't afford the 200+ I'd need!

Wade

danielr6543

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here are some pics of my freshly molted Poecilotheria regalis (Indian Ornamental). I beleive the sex is male cant be sure as the molt was very mangled when I pulled it out, making it impossible to sex by molt. The size is about 3 inches now.

danielr6543

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pinktoes804 said:
very nice T you have there...pokies are awsome.
Thanks the genus poecilotheria is one of my favorite, alongside Psalmopoeus.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice spider :D

This is my regalis, just after the molt. If yours has the same colour at the abdomen as mine, it is possible that your T is a female (colours at your photo are too bright).

Attachments

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My P. Regalis "Indy", who molted into a mature male a little less than a month ago was caught in the act this morning. {D

He was building a sperm web, and I took as many pictures as possible. Here are the best ones. :)

---
Wendy
---

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nice pics!

Do you have a lady friend lined up for him yet?

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He is so cute! Are you planning on breeding him?

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Becca and KJE.

I'm not planning on breeding him so far, especially since I wouldn't know how to coax him into a shipping container without me ending up having a heart attack. {D

---
Wendy
---

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't let his genes got to waste!

Get him to a female, STAT!

Am I right Tony? ;)

Arachnoboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Apparently this B.dubia is a good friend of my regalis.......or else it's just lucky (for now). Anyway,it survived meeting my regalis because it was going to molt,and fortunately it hasn't been eating of my spider while it molted.
Let's see how long this friendship is going to last {D

Last edited: