Species Poecilotheria regalis

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Kris said:
there is nothing to hide in the tank :?
you should insert some kind of corktube or so
If it is like most Pokies like I've seen, it will construct its own hiding place shortly.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
If it is like most Pokies like I've seen, it will construct its own hiding place shortly.
You think? They generally live in trees (dead or alive) in the wild, using silk as fortification rather than the basis of a shelter.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lopez said:
You think? They generally live in trees (dead or alive) in the wild, using silk as fortification rather than the basis of a shelter.
Yep, mine make a hide out of silk and mix substrate in with it. I can post some pics if you would like to see it for yourself.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Yep, mine make a hide out of silk and mix substrate in with it. I can post some pics if you would like to see it for yourself.
No it's okay :)

Generally Poecilotheria feel more secure (as adults) in a fully enclosed bark or bamboo tube. All the people I know who successfully breed them keep them basically like this. Juveniles will burrow and silk a lot more than a large adult.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lopez said:
No it's okay :)

Generally Poecilotheria feel more secure (as adults) in a fully enclosed bark or bamboo tube. All the people I know who successfully breed them keep them basically like this. Juveniles will burrow and silk a lot more than a large adult.
Yeah I agree it would be better to provide a tube or some sort of a hide if you are planning to breed them. About everyone I know that breeds these does that sort of thing :)

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the advice! actually, the driftwood was placed at an angle so it cud hide though.

anyway, anyone can provvide more pics in this thread on display setups? well will help alot!

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would suggest some more shade for the P regalis even though they tend to make tube web with substrate on it as others have said. And I never put anything in mines dish. Although I use a wide shallow dish to keep humidity up and she likes to drink from it or the sides of tank when I mist.

What I did with an Avic avic setup to give it more shade.... keep in mind I did this befroe the T was in it to let fumes air out. I bought some fake plants and vines and a few tubes of that liquid silicon and I glued the leaves and vines to the outside of the tank. Keeps it shaded nicely. Anyway just my ideas, nice looking T.

<edit> sorry, just realized I mispelled your name a bunch of times. Too tired to fix. ;)

Last edited:

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Silver.x said:
The cactus looks plastic and harmless, and I believe it is a rock in the dish, not a sponge.

Aidan
I would removed this think from water even if it is only rock because of It become bacteria habitat and spider doen't need this. The cactus looks nice but not in tank of spider from India. It is more proper for desert species.

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm so far havent seen my spider make any webbing? why is tt?

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Give it some time. It needs to get adjusted. Also, it may be trying to find a comfortable place to spin its web. I never tried using a branch like that, I give my arboreal T's half of a hollow cork tube and place it near a corner and they usually spin a tube web behind the tube, and then come out now and agin and sit on the front of the bark. I'd say give her a week or 2 and make sure she isn't getting hit with light. PLus I'd listen to these guys and at least remove the rock, cactus too if it has spines, it could impale your T.

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
removed it, however, the cactus was in for decorative perposees, made of soft plastic anyway.

tot .. rock in water dish so that stupid criks dont drown themselves inside?

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a wide shallow dish and crickets just drink from the side because it has about 1/4"-1/2" edge. Plus when I put in crickets I usually toss them near the bark or just drop them on the bark and she nails them quickly. Never had a cricket drown in her bowl or any other of my T's bowls that are larger. The only time I saw a cricket almost drown was when I had rocks in a bowl, the crikets climbed on the rocks and fell in the water. Haven't seen that happen ever since.

omer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i set up my p.regalis to a biger tank last week and she start webing just today....

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jetzie said:
removed it, however, the cactus was in for decorative perposees, made of soft plastic anyway.
Yes... but as JW73 said, It looks silly in a tank containing a species from India. It would look more appropriate in the tank of a desert species, such as Brachypelma.

Just my

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You guys are sticklers. If Jetzi wants a cactus, keep the cactus. It looks silly, maybe not to Jetzi. I think this is getting rediculous, I would only keep it out of tank if it could injure the T, but that is JETZI's T, and JETZI's setup, I don't see why our asthetic opinion should have anything to do with how the tank is, short of the T being safe and healthy. Just my. I guess I will have to fly to india and harvest the trees from the monsoon forests and gather up some topsoil and moss for my pokies. Does cork bark grow in india? How about pete moss? Some times I'm glad I have no camera.

My 62,417¢

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Are there any little plastic peyote buttons on that cactus? :D

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
If Jetzi wants a cactus, keep the cactus.
He has wanted our opinion but this is his setup and he may put there what he want.

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nah, not stuff jutting out. it's all rounded and soft.
lol, no nid to get worked out over a stupid rubber cactus..