• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Poecilotheria regalis

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
UNSUCCESSFUL

I have a 6"+ female that molted in April 2004. My male matured May 31, 2004. I put them together a couple weeks later. They cohabitated peacefully, and the female molted again on July 5, with the male still in there. I noticed on September 17th, the male had been eaten. The female was eating well, and starting to look very plump. A couple weeks ago, she started exhibiting strange behaviour, spinning alot of webbing and moving substrate around. I came in tonight and noticed her in a thick web hammock. I had a sinking feeling, and checked on her a couple hours later. She molted AGAIN. She's probably well over 7" at this point, and there will be no eggsac :(

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful.

In fall of 2003, I bred 4 females by cycling two males through their enclosures a week at a time until both males had been eaten. After both males had been eaten, I cooled the females for 2 months in the mid to low 60's. After raising the temps into the 70's, I flooded the containers. Within a few weeks 3 of the 4 females produced sacs. One sac was partially infertile and only a few babies were viable. The other two sacs were both fertile and produced in the neighborhood of 100 babies in each sac.

The same 4 females were bred in the same manner in the fall of 2004. The cooling period ended approximately 2 weeks ago. Results, if any, will be posted at a later date.

Botar

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
SUCCESSFUL
August 8, 2006
The Lovelife of Ginjerofer

My female molted out 3-5 months ago, my male molted out ~1 month ago. I have had the female for ~10-12 months and have been feeding her well. After the male molted mature i fed her a pinkie and one of each kind of roach i keep and some waxworms. When she had a big beautiful booty and i was confidant the male was charged and ready to exoskeleton down i introduced the male into the female's cage. She is in a large *horizontally* oriented Kritter Keeper with a 1Gallon Jug (that used to be her home) buried at an angle in the substrate. She has made her lair under the jug instead of in it as i was expecting her (lol, so i have a terrestrial regalis).

I introduced the male ~July 28, 2006. As of yesterday he had spent just about 10 days in the cage with the female. They always rested in seperate parts of the cage. The day prior to removing him i watched her chase him around... she was drumming drumming drumming and he was running running running... he drummed just enough to keep reminding her that he was not a meal with eight legs.

I removed him last night and i *think* he has already built a sperm web. I am going to give him a week to recover and have ample time to build a SW for sure and then reintroduce him to Ginjerofer.

pictures.

the male. this is actually after the first week or so he spent in the females cage. he went from looking relatively similar in coloration to a female regalis in his penultimate instar to this in his maturing molt

zoom

Gingerofer's whole cage. That leatherman is four inches long, but at a funny angle to make it easy to estimate her size in the pic. she is 6-7"DLS (15-18cm)

A good view of her (look at the purple blush around her eyes!!!) (n.b. this is Ginny about 2 wks before laying her sac)

closer
CLOSER!

UPDATE
Ginjerofer made an eggsac around October 19-21, 2006

this puts gestation at around 3 months.

bear in mind that for at least half of that time Ginny was in a room that was hitting around 100*F during the day and was well above 90*F at night, so this might have "compressed" the gestation time a bit.... and it is just now starting to get beneath 80*F in my room. after i mated her i flooded her cage a few times. The last flood was the biggest... i poured at least a liter of water in there and all the substrate was completly soaked for a couple weeks after. I flooded her ~3 times starting about a month after she was bred and stopped about two months after she was bred, as i didn't want her to have to try to make a sac in a swamp ;)

the bad news is that i am right in the middle of moving and am going to attempt moving Ginny, sac, and cage all together. For a more nervous spider i would most likely wait as long as possible and then steal the eggsac and manually incubate it... but i have faith in gentle giant Ginny :D

plus, she was fall down stupid easy to breed so i can always try again... ;)

note also, i used flooding but no cooling... quite the opposite in fact!

note to mods: could you please merge this to the post i am paraphrase quotign here?

PENDING
August 8, 2006
The Lovelife of Ginjerofer

UPDATE
Ginjerofer made an eggsac around October 19-21, 2006

...i used flooding but no cooling... quite the opposite in fact!
Nov 2 2006
I moved Ginjerofer and the eggsac on Halloween night. I wrapped the cage in a large blanket and had my new room mate hold the cage in his lap and try to absorb as much energy from driving as possible.

~24h after the move and she still had the eggsac, as far as i could see

Nov 3 2006
pictures of the eggsac :D

zoom

here is a picture of the egglaying/brooding chamber. she spun this up a week or so before she made the eggsac, iirc

zoom

Nov 14 2006
WOOHOO!

i stole the eggsac from Ginny at around day 20. this is a little earlier than i would have... but my room mate has successfully rebuilt his recording studio and was testing his monitoring system... at like ~120 decibels

it went amazingly smoothly... i love Ginny more and more every day!

here is the video. i got a camera man now!

[YOUTUBE]E9cz5xeQF6I[/YOUTUBE]

p.s. i did this a while ago, but i said a bad word in the original video and had to edit it out. you can probably tell where it is, if you watch closely ;)

Nov 19 2006
i peeked on the eggs. to do this i VERY carefully cut layer by layer until i could see the eggs.

everything looks ok

zoom

Nov 20 2006
hehehehe
when i was rotating the eggsac tonight an egg fell out. so i took pics :)

zoom

also, i was peeking in the eggsac some more and i saw a couple eggs with legs! you can just barely make it out in the zoom :D

zoom

November 24, 2006

I decided to spill a few more eggs out of the eggsac for observation and picture documenting their growth. I got lucky and spilled a little embryo/post-embryo level pre-sling :) i really need to hit the books to refresh my terminology!

zoom

kind of ventral view. you can see the little fang buds in the zoom!!

zoom

dorsal view. i think these pics are interesting because you can clearly see the spider is like, developing on the side of the egg, sort of. it seems like the spider is mostly developed from the pedicle on up, as it were.

zoom

Note: eventually the eggs became infected with mold. the only survivor was a nymph i experimentally sent to someone in trade. still a success though =P

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Poecilotheria regalis breeding

Temperature: 86 Degrees F
Humidity:65%
Lighting Conditions: Bright

Male Poecilotheria regalis Info: 5" Matured Male is mine. Matured early April.
Female Poecilotheria regalis Info: 7" Female freshly molted in March.

After the male had made a sperm web recently, I placed him into the females enclosure. He immeditately started drumming on the cork bark tunnels of the female, the female responded very aggressively drumming. The inserts were good and the male was taken out and will be mated with thsi female again and another that I have.

Here are a small series of pics:

Enjoy!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Starting on Oct 12 2007 I began cycling three MM Regalis with 5 females. All females were recently molted with in the last 2 months. Two females were bred inside of 2 weeks after a molt. The last of the 5 females was bred with a MM on the 11th of Nov. Average leg span of these females is 6”. With one female being closer to 7”. All females were well fed before being bred.

Lighting was a lamp in the room so I could see. But the general lighting was dim.
Temps in the room were between 78-80.
Breedings were done in the evening around 9pm.

4 of the pairings were done with the lids of the containers left off. As soon as the MM's was introduced the females were very receptive. The male led the female out of the tank to the side of the tank and as soon as the females were fully on the side of the tank the MM would dive in and get an insert. Directly after the insert the females would return to their tanks. 1 of the pairings the MM was co habited for several nights, mating was thought to have occurred and the MM was killed by the female.

I tried to pair bred females again in the coming weeks but none of the females were receptive to being around a male.

Misting were reduced and then stopped along with feedings a few weeks after pairings occurred. The females are showing signs of being gravid will be fed again and then misted again around late December and will be misted more frequently until an egg sac is produced.
Currently 3 of the 5 females look to be carrying eggs and have started to show some yellow in their abdomens. Two females have blocked themselves off in their hides.

Updates of these girls will come when and if there are results. Here is one picture of one of the pairings.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Successful

So far out of the 5 females 2 have made sacs. The remaining three are looking very good as well and should be dropping sacs in the next few weeks. Updates will be added again when all the females have given results.

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess I'm in the right place for this post.

An unrelated pair I rescued from a local pet store.
The female was somebody's pet, and the male was from a Miami wholesaler.

Mating took place the day I brought them home, 9/8/7.
Courtship lasted about 20 minutes, and copulation all of two seconds.
Egg sac was constructed early morning hours of 2/7/8.
I moved her to a 1/2 gallon plastic jar several days before she was ready to make management easier.

The first two pictures are rotated 90 degrees to the left, so the male was actually above the female.

Attachments

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Very successful!

My end results are all 5 females produced egg sacs. A 6th female was mated shortly after I posted the breeding report above and she produced as well. The total count of slings that will have made it to 2nd instar is not known yet but I do believe I will be between the 800-900 mark. The largest sac so far had 204 eggs in it.

Additionally I have bred two more females and they are looking good as well. They are still a month or more from producing but I have no reason right now to think they won't.

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No success. She ate it. After taking the sac from her and examining, there was one dead (result of adult), dark (molt was near) larva left. I guess I didn't remove the sac in time, but I still have no idea why she ate it.

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I mated my female on 2-3-08 i observed one mating and the male inserted both palps and then made a hasty retreat temps were kept around 65-70 degrees a sack was laid on 5-15-08.

Pics of the matue male

Pics of the female

Pics of the female with sack laid on 5-15-08

samsbugs

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sucessful

On March 3 07 I had a few MM P. Regalis that I raised from 1" slings. Naturally being a Pokie fan I also had a few 7"+ females. I introduced 3 males per female at the same time, and let them co/hab. Each night for at least 3 weeks the females chased the males arround the cage, finally all the males died of natural causes (not eaten). The females all where due to molt in Dec. so as Jan.,Feb., and March passed I was certain failure! No way!!!! on April 3 08 i had a sack!!! I left it with mom for 45 days and pulled it, the next day it was molded??? In no time I had the sack pulled apart, and seperated 123 bad eggs:( . However I was able to save 68 eggs w/legs and 2 weeks later they are all doing fine!!!!!!!! First and second instars currently.
Thanks
Sam

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Successful:
Temps during incubation: 65-70 degrees
mated on: 2-3-08
I flooded cage every time it dried out
laid sack on: 5-15-08
pulled sack on: 6-11-08

I pulled the sack today and ended up with about 48 eggs with legs about 25 of them were dried up and some of the eggs with legs were stuck to the webbing and to each other and the other dried eggs

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful:

Female #11 acquired September 2009

Male #9 matured July 2009

Pairing: 16 Oct 2009

Eggsac Laid: 4 Feb 2010

Eggsac Pulled: 24 Feb 2010

Molt to First Instar: 13 Mar 2010

Molt to 2nd Instar: 30 Mar 2010

Total Slings: 128

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like a success.

Breeding Report:

Spiders were kept right around 80 degrees (until I moved and it got harder to keep the temp constant, but most of the mating was done by then) with a humidifier in a small walk in closet.

8/30/09- Shark-caged male, Fed female huge Hisser
9/3/09- Had already introduced the male a few times but she ignored. This was the first night she started tapping back and followed him out of the cage, onto the carpet. Soon as he made a move she swatted and he ran. She went back to her hide with no encouragement needed. He ran up my leg and had to be cupped.
9/5/09- After another SW, tried to introduce him again, ignored. Fed her again just in case… she looked hungry… attacked the straw in my hand.
9/6/09- Only about 10 hours later after I woke up, paired them again. This time she tapped back, followed out of her hide, this time onto a Styrofoam board so he could still tap. She came out, he backed up. He made a move, she charged him until I got between them. No damage done, male ran a lap around the room until I cupped him.
10/19/09- No more successful matting attempts, a few where she ignored him/got aggressive. She’s sealed up in her hide.
11/9/09- Female molted, looks ready to go. Going to shark cage male again today.
-Paired them later this evening. No aggression, female tapped, followed him up the side of the tank,
Let him mate on top of the 10 gallon, walked calmly back to her hide. Very well behaved.

Didn’t record dates, but paired them a few more times with similar results. Moved to a new apartment at the beginning of December, and only paired them twice more, due to lack of space and free time.

3/18/10- female had been webbed into her hide for a few days. I thought she was going to molt. Opened up the webbing and found that she had an egg sac.

4/6/10- Pulled the sac from her without much fuss. Fed her a dubia.
- counted just above 100 eggs… none looked bad. Put them in an incubator/humidifier. Two of them have turned dark brown, I’m assuming bad, but most look great, can see the legs inside them.

4/8/10- Some eggs with legs have begun emerging. Guess it was good timing to pull the sac.

4/8/10- just got home from work… most of them are emerging now. Looks like there’s 2 definite bad ones (like I said earlier) and maybe one or two more. We’ll see.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful

Males and females are kept in my spider room with an ambient temperature ranging from 82-85 degrees. No special conditions are provided to induce egg laying (i.e. no flooding, cooling, etc).

Female: Po_re_1

Female's most recent molt: 20/May/09

Male: Po_re_9

Male's ultimate molt: July 2009

First Pairing: 23/June/09

Eggsac found: 7/Feb/10

Eggsac Pulled: 24/Feb/10

Eggs with legs: When pulled

1st Instars: 15/Mar/10

2nd Instars: 9/Apr/10

Total Slings: 96

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And another one (smaller this time)

Both male and female were kept in similar conditions. Humid cages with a cork hide. Food was offered weekly and water dishes were changed weekly. The cage was misted to keep the substrate damp, but not wet. Temperatures ranged in the low to mid 80s. No special treatment for the females was used to induce egglaying.

Female: Po_re_2

Most recent molt: 2/Sept/09

Most recent molt: July 2009

Pairing date: 12/Oct/09

Eggsac Found: 19/Feb/10

Eggsac Pulled: 8/Mar/10

1st Instars: 30/Mar/10

2nd instars: 13/Apr/10

Total slings: 75

We took video on this one and if I can find time I'll edit it and post it later.

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
female last molt 2/5/2010
male last molt 12/2009

paired 3/2/2010
eggsack layed 4/17/2010

@ 4/21/2010
female dropped eggsack and never tried to get it back

4/22/2010
pulled eggsack
some already dull
good yellow eggs put into incubator

4/29/2010
1st instars eggs with legs!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
female last molt 2/5/2010
male last molt 12/2009

paired 3/2/2010
eggsack layed 4/17/2010

@ 4/21/2010
female dropped eggsack and never tried to get it back

4/22/2010
pulled eggsack
some already dull
good yellow eggs put into incubator

4/29/2010
1st instars eggs with legs!!!

update:
5/17/2010
2nd instars!!!

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Successful

Female: Po_re_4

Female's most recent molt: 12/22/2008? I may have missed writing the 2009 molt date.

Male: Po_re_12 (On loan from Nick White Username: Whites Inverts)

Male's most recent molt: Unknown

Total number of pairings: 1

Date of pairing: 16-Oct-09

Eggsac found: 18-Mar-10

Eggsac Pulled: 13-Apr-10

Eggs with legs: When Pulled

1st Instar molt: 23-Apr-10

2nd instar molt: 11-May-10

Total spiderlings: 84 large slings!

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
~1/2 successful.

Female: Po_re_3

Female's most recent molt: 12/22/2008? I may have missed writing the 2009 molt date.

Male's most recent molt: ~July 2009

Total number of pairings: 1

Date of pairing: 22-Sep-09

Eggsac found: 22-Mar-10

Eggsac Pulled: 11-Apr-10

Eggs with legs: When Pulled

1st Instar molt: 29-Apr-10

2nd instar molt: 18-May-10

Total spiderlings: ~40. I haven't finished separating them yet. It was a small eggsac and most the eggs were infertile.