1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poecilotheria question.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by dWebster, Apr 24, 2012.

1. dWebster

dWebster Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So after staring for hours at pictures I can't see any difference between P. striata and P. Regalis. Can anyone help me out. I'm starting to wonder if there are just a lot of misslabled pictures.

2. grayzone

grayzone Arachnoking

the yellow leg banding is more extensive in the regalis, the cream "belly band" only appears on the regalis, the regalis colors are a lil more prominent on the regalis also, the 2 differ in size... striata max out around 8" while the regalis get up to 9+............. those are off the top of my head.. there PROB is more, ive just never owned striata so cant say for sure

• Like Like x 1
  3. Philth

Philth N.Y.H.C. Arachnosupporter

The easiest way to differentiate the 2 is P. regalis has a ventral cream colored band on the abdomen, that P. srtiata lacks. I've heard of some younger P. striata having a light color band , but it fades with age.

later, Tom

4. Rich65

Rich65 Arachnosquire

Is the cream banding evident in males of regalis as well ?? The male I have has all the yellow ventral coloring but seems to lack the belly band. Thanks

5. sbullet

sbullet Arachnoknight

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. grayzone

grayzone Arachnoking

yes... a male DEFINITELY gets the band. i noticed that MY regalis got some yellow at about 2.5" then with the NEXT molt it started getting the belly band. by the time mine was 3.5 it was very apparent.

7. thats an awesome pic ! havnt seen them all matched up like that next to each other before

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  8. dWebster

dWebster Arachnopeon

Thank you all. This helps alot!

9. SamuraiSid

SamuraiSid Arachnodemon

BC
    I spend a lot of time looking at T pics, and cant hardly tell the dif between most poeci's... Other than rufilata and metallica.:sarcasm:

10. Philth

Philth N.Y.H.C. Arachnosupporter

Maybe your looking at the wrong side? ;)

Later, Tom

11. sbullet

sbullet Arachnoknight

I agree, other than regalis, metallica, roofie, subfusca, at a glance they are all pretty similar.