Poecilotheria ornata size

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just wondering what sort of maximum size this species reaches. im very tempted to buy one as they are so beautiful !

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
they can grow larger than 10" that's for sure.
:?

I'm pretty sure everything I have ever read states that 8 to 9" is the average. There may be an occasional 10" or close to it, but then again, some people have the propensity to exaggerate. ;)

kovsejr

Arachnopeon
:?

I'm pretty sure everything I have ever read states that 8 to 9" is the average. There may be an occasional 10" or close to it, but then again, some people have the propensity to exaggerate. ;)
Well, he asked for the max size, not the average. In this point, you are absolutelly right about the average size, but the max size, as you wrote that there are some specimens who acctually grow larger than 10". I was refering to Robc's ornata. I think he did say that his was larger than 10". Correct me if i'm wrong.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Well, he asked for the max size, not the average. In this point, you are absolutelly right about the average size, but the max size, as you wrote that there are some specimens who acctually grow larger than 10". I was refering to Robc's ornata. I think he did say that his was larger than 10". Correct me if i'm wrong.
No, he said it was 10" not over 10. and a lot of times Robc estimates, which isn't always the most accurate way to measure. And the max size doesn't mean that because one person said it was 10" that they all grow to that size. Seeing as the OP is considering getting one - I think the average adult size is what is important here.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I did not write that.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get it...they are large and beautiful. I acquired one a few months ago and had to put it in a temporary enclosure for a few days. The enclosure is 6" across at the back, she has her legs bent, straightened out Im sure shes an easy 8".

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotheria ornata and Poecilotheria rufilata are known as the largest arboreals currently. You are looking at about 8.5"+, which is downright massive for something that's climbing around on a glass tank. You may be one of those rare hobbyists that get a 10" specimen...:rolleyes:

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get it...they are large and beautiful. I acquired one a few months ago and had to put it in a temporary enclosure for a few days. The enclosure is 6" across at the back, she has her legs bent, straightened out Im sure shes an easy 8".
No, although it is batted around the proper way to measure them, that is by no means 8".

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yo crows, "batted around", "proper way"...what do you mean?
If it helps the above P. ornata is minimum 7" and maximum 8" based on the 6" width of the container.

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yo crows, "batted around", "proper way"...what do you mean?
If it helps the above P. ornata is minimum 7" and maximum 8" based on the 6" width of the container.
Some say, measured fully stretched out (dead) is the proper way, some say it is while they are walking etc. Frankly I don't care. L4 to R1 across, by the looks of your picture, if the length of the bottom of that KritterKeeper is 6", I can't see that Poecilotheria ornata panning out 8", if it is, that is one deceitful picture.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some say, measured fully stretched out (dead) is the proper way, some say it is while they are walking etc. Frankly I don't care. L4 to R1 across, by the looks of your picture, if the length of the bottom of that KritterKeeper is 6", I can't see that Poecilotheria ornata panning out 8", if it is, that is one deceitful picture.
I agree with L1 to R4, and hopefully soonish she will stretch out on the side of her much larger current enclosure and I can get a more accurate measurement.

OP, get a P. ornata, they are awesome.

venomous.com

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jeez, who cares -exactly- how big the spider is? Why argue about something so trivial?

I've always understood that ornata reach ~8-9" max size

xjak3yx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cheers for the info guys.. really considering buying one ! il have to lie to my girlfriend saying it ony grows small and isnt venomous :razz:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Then you better hope she doesnt check it out on the internet;-)

ps; and avoid getting bitten;)

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Jeez, who cares -exactly- how big the spider is? Why argue about something so trivial?

I've always understood that ornata reach ~8-9" max size
People come on here for information. Wrong information isn't good information. No one was arguing, but thanks for your concern.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This species usually get about 9" , which is why I want one ! I have heard of rufilata's getting bigger , but maybe I heard wrong .