Species Poecilotheria metallica

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am in the UK and even though I here there are :worship: P.metallicas :worship: about I cant find em!!! I heard there will be a few for sale at the BTS but dunno if my husband cant wait that long esp when you guys keep posting all these pics so anyone know where I can get a P.metallica in europe? xxxxxxxxx

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
rosehaired1979 said:
Wow that is a beautiful T! !! What type of T is it?
well uhh, P. metallica? just a guess.
;P {D

man i want one of these...

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very beautiful indeed.

I can't wait to see my parents' metallica "Azule" grow up and sport those amazing colors.

Laura

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sweet photo and awesome metallica!!!!
I've seen those for sale $350 and singapores for $400.
From what I have read there aren't all that many of either species here in the U.S. and am currious as to if the ones that are being bought up will eventually be inbred with their siblings for sheer profit.Lets hope it does'nt come to this.
I am by no means suggesting that John's intentions are of whats stated above.
Congradulations John...thats a beauty!!!!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
CherishYour_f8 said:
From what I have read there aren't all that many of either species here in the U.S. and am currious as to if the ones that are being bought up will eventually be inbred with their siblings for sheer profit.Lets hope it does'nt come to this.
Oh they'll be inbred, mark my words. Not really for profit, just that there's no alternative.

I haven't seen any evidence of inbreeding depression though - 3rd gen inbred regalis, fasciata, rufilata and so on.....

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
does inbreeding have detrimental effects for T's like it does in humans? :eek: if so, then i feel childish and short sighted. :8o i've just been praying that someday a large population of CBs would spring up, and lower the price of these gorgeous T's!

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pandinus, I am by no means the authority on this subject. In fact, I am quite the newbie stating a possible scenario. I would imagine that a long term experiment of this nature has not yet been performed especially on a recherche species such as the P. metallica. I would assume that inbreeding too many times would result in deformaties and possible loss of choice charateristics.
If anyone here can elaborate on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

John

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Lopez said:
Oh they'll be inbred, mark my words. Not really for profit, just that there's no alternative.

I haven't seen any evidence of inbreeding depression though - 3rd gen inbred regalis, fasciata, rufilata and so on.....
Well Andrew Smith stated at ATS '03 that all ruffilata are descended from the original 12 (12 wasnt it) brought out in the early 90's....
T

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No reason at all not to "inbreed" invertebrates. Not from any data i've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. Here in the US we just need to make sure we do a good job of getting our animals matched up. I have 5 P. metallica now, 3 larger one's around 3-4" each and 2 younger slings. The issue (well it's not an "issue" IMO!) of mating siblings is the last thing on my mind.

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the input guys.Its great to here that it isn't an issue.
I suppose by "matching up" you were referring to securing both mature genders.
The sibling males would mature too quickly I gather.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
This is the first opportunity I've had to get pics of my little guy. Dwayne (Spiderman 2) has a great cam, so we got a few. Usual handling disclaimer applies..not recommended, hot venom, etc etc...

Attachments

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those things get more beautiful and more beautiful every time I see them!

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Great picture Holley, i cannot ever hold one of those. What type of behavior did it show while you were handling it? BTW- nice pics!

James

death66

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
aww nice pix holley!!! i think that i am goin to have to pick one of these up this year!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Tarantula Lover said:
Great picture Holley, i cannot ever hold one of those. What type of behavior did it show while you were handling it? BTW- nice pics!

James
James, it's a VERY nervous little guy. However, once he was convinced to come out, and felt safe while I cupped him, he hid in my hands and calmed down enough to have his pic taken. Then he didn't want to return to the container ;)