Poecilotheria metallica not eating

Ava

Arachnopeon
Hello I am slightly worried about my poecilotheria metallica baby not eating I have had her for less than a month. She does not seem interested in crickets and her enclosure is set up correctly since I purchased her with it. I feed her once a week on pinhead crickets. I can't seem to tell if she is in premolt or coming up a molt. I have looked at her adomen and she seems pretty plump and herself although very slow and just inactive, She is my first old world so I don't know much about how to tell otherwise without a bald spot if she is coming up to a molt or I'm doing something wrong. I will post a picture of her. Can someone please tell me check it out and give me a reason to why she might be this way?:( ^5B8979C9B1CBCFFFC9147E6142F12DD20A67F9E0F4BC0A1E86^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^5B379F0A27DF6AB9592C3D69DA82FF18A88D1BB6AE73C9441B^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg ^B4790AEEE14E8E5F4B686FDDE6861B425EBB74BF1BD3A159C7^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Looks plenty fat, ill bet the house on pre molt. Can be harder to tell with some poecs, she definitely doesn't need any more food though.

Just a waiting game now.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Just because the enclosure was sold to you with her doesn't necessarily mean you can take it for granted that it is in fact set up correctly (though it does look fine from the limited photos of it that you attached). I don't know much about the Poecilotheria genus as I don't own any but I don't think you should mist the enclosure, just keep a full water dish in there for it. T's don't eat constantly, they can go months without eating... It can take time for the T to settle in, it might be a picky eater (try different feeders, or pre-killing them), or it could be in pre-molt.

Ava

Arachnopeon
Yeah I have been suspecting it's down to a molt. She's webbed up a tiny bit which I have heard they aren't much of a webber. Should I stop feeding her for a few weeks?

Ava

Arachnopeon
Ive uploaded a few pictures of her enclosure. She does have a water a dish also she was misted down earlier. I do normally do this 2 times a week for those who require humidity. She does have this little "Area" as shown in the pictures where she does remain alot of the time and Ive seen her webbing up that area alot as of lately. ( sorry for lack of quality in the pictures, Late here so lighting was pretty bad)

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah I have been suspecting it's down to a molt. She's webbed up a tiny bit which I have heard they aren't much of a webber. Should I stop feeding her for a few weeks?
Poecs tend to web heavy right before an upcoming molt.

You can stop feeding altogether...she has already refused and is clearly fat as a pig. Keep an eye out for some heavy webbing, and dont mist. Just keep her water bowl full, you can overflow slightly if you must.

Ava

Arachnopeon
Poecs tend to web heavy right before an upcoming molt.

You can stop feeding...she has already refused and is clearly fat as a pig. Keep an eye out for some heavy webbing, and dont mist. Just keep her water bowl full, you can overflow slightly if you must.
okay will do and thankyou for the help and helping my worries. :happy:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have heard they aren't much of a webber.
Mine has webbed quite a bit above his cork tube.

Should I stop feeding her for a few weeks?
I wouldn't feed it again until after it moults.

Also, there's no need to mist at all, just overflow the water dish to moisten an area of substrate every now and again (I wait until it dries out before I re-moisten the sub, Pokies are pretty drought-tolerant).

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
My P. Miranda refused to eat for 3 months before finally deciding to molt, a little bit of a fast isn't too much of an issue, especially if your spider is pretty fat. Like some other people have said they really only web when they're getting close to a molt, mine made a dirt curtain one day and laid down a molting mat then hasn't made a single thread of web since. I keep my enclosure on the dryer side and have never had any problems, he just hides in a corner and only goes to the water dish to drink (and flip it over).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The colors look a little dull too so I agree.
The abdomen is so fat, that if colors were bright blue, I'd say molting haha, but that wouldn't happen. It's obvious to me. My P rufi used to be the same way.

cold blood

Staff member
!. That t is soooo fat...stop feeding till it molts...even if it takes months...but it won't.

2. Its a tarantula...tarantulas are not amphibians, it looks like a monsoon hit that enclosure...better suited for a frog than a t.

Pokies are very drought tolerant...they do like damp sub, but they can be allowed to dry out for extended periods of time. When you do dampen, just sprinkle water onto the sub....spraying things down like that should never be done. If you mist, just a light half mist on the wall or web...this has nothing to do with husbandry, but is just a convenient drinking opportunity, and if you have a water dish, not really ever necessary.

Last edited:

Ava

Arachnopeon
!. That t is soooo fat...stop feeding till it molts...even if it takes months...but it won't.

2. Its a tarantula...tarantulas are not amphibians, it looks like a monsoon hit that enclosure...better suited for a frog than a t.

Pokies are very drought tolerant...they do like damp sub, but they can be allowed to dry out for extended periods of time. When you do dampen, just sprinkle water onto the sub....spraying things down like that should never be done. If you mist, just a light half mist on the wall or web...this has nothing to do with husbandry, but is just a convenient drinking opportunity, and if you have a water dish, not really ever necessary.
Will do this in future. Her tank is starting to dry out since this post so thankyou for the advice :happy:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
She’s about to pop! Definitely premolt.

Also, be careful with that moisture. Not only is it unnecessary, but it can also put your spider’s health at risk. Ever since I lost a P. subfusca to too much wetness, I keep my Pokies fairly dry.

Ava

Arachnopeon
Just a update! She has finally molted today and she has got through it well it seems. :astonished:

ahimoto

Arachnopeon
i think you love to much your metalica :) it was so fat :) dont forget P.Metalica is a tree spider. do not feed so hard .