Poecilotheria metallica care

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Should be noted that this isn't the case. If there is x amount of evaporated water in the air at one temperature there will still be the same amount of evaporated water in the air at another temperature.
Heat doesn't remove water from the air, if anything it increases the humidity by increasing evaporation by means you should have learned in 2nd grade, (11th grade in the USA....if ever...)

The ONLY danger is that heat causes increased evaporation. That could more quickly dehydrate the T and the enclosure.

Dont assume that because its uncomfortable for you, that its also uncomfortable for the Tarantula. Remember that we humans are the fragile species, not the Tarantulas.

take a look around for the guys who actively breed P Metallica and find out what they do for a set up.
Yo, do you know how they create dry storage facilities in rain forests when storing lumber products?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I decided to give it a full 1 week "vacation". Added a water source again, moistened the sub and left it in a darker place where light is dim.
Hope she likes it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I decided to give it a full 1 week "vacation". Added a water source again, moistened the sub and left it in a darker place where light is dim.
Good. Our activity and commotion is stressful to spiders, even more so when they're weak.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I forgot to say I actually left a N. cinerea nymph in there with the P. met if it decides to eat. It's always hiding so it's not disturbing the T.
You guys think I should remove it?

No progress with the Pokie. Still not eating, but still lively. Today I got a P. rufilata and a M. balfouri. As far as I know M. balfouri like dry conditions and around 55% humidity, but I don't know how stuff are with slings. I guess I should occasionally moisten a little part of the sub and spray once every 3-4 days on the side of its enclosure for it to drink. P. rufilata should be the same in regards to conditions as my P. regalis juvie. I know they like cooler temps?

Still absolutely no response to food. Been trying with roach nymphs + mealworms these past 2-3 weeks since it didn't want crickets earlier this month. I will try with crickets tomorrow again. 2 months have past since I've received it and doesn't look intent on eating anytime soon. Any tips?

FINALLY. AFTER 2 MONTHS OF FASTING, IT ATE. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH. IM SO HAPPY. After I tried feeding it a mealworm last week and I saw it biting, trying to eat, I knew the time has come. Today I INSISTED on feeding it even if it was the last thing I'd do. It tried grabbing the food the first time earlier this day, but just 2-3 minutes ago I was like an idiot with tongs, doing everything you can think of with a cricket leg, until finally I realized it was too shy to grab any food, so I pushed it towards its palps, saw how it wrapped one of its palps and his first right leg around the leg and I gently moved the leg towards its fangs and it grabbed it. I can't stress how happy I am for this little guy.

BLUE - THE FIGHTER!

Last edited by a moderator:

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm so glad to hear that! To be honest I was expecting bad news. Pokies are pretty hardy though to their credit.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I was expecting it to die too, but it survived. At least for now. Hope she turns out a beautiful, big female :)

Tarantula Fangs

Arachnosquire
good tips, I just got my very first P. Metallica sling 2 days ago, I'll be sure to take you're advice.

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 10:01 AM ----------

What kind of substrate did you use for you're slings? what's the best way to care for an 1" sling? substrate, enclosure, setup, etc. :)

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Im not sure im the one you should be asking, but for all of my Ts I use coco fibre. As stated in the thread, just make sure it has anchor points for its webbing and a water dish for humidity and drinking. There is no best way to care for a T. Good luck :p

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
It hasn't eaten since, tho. I hope that now when I've put it on 26C it should start eating. Will try to feed it on sunday and update.

Its happening. It ate again.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
A very troublesome sling. I've trembled for hours because of it. Its definitely my most treasured spider. ^^

Alright, it's even comfortable with eating live prey now. Ate a mealworm just now.

SANY0063.jpg

SANY0062.jpg

A little update. Sorry for necrobumping, but this little guy is filling my heart more and more. Bought crickets yesterday and got some pretty small ones with the batch. Second day, second pre-killed pinhead he's eating. I have a female now, so this sling is going to cost millions if he turns out male. ^^

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Congrats! It looks adorable and happy.

More on are their way to this world. ;)

-AJ

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Its in premolt now. Where have you been. I haven't seen you online in a while. I even messaged you once on skype, but I guess you don't use it very often haha

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Sweet! It's getting bigger.

I'm sorry. I've been away from a bit. That was you on Skype?! Right on. Now we can video chat about our gooties. :)

-AJ