Poecilotheria metallica care

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No progress with the P. metallica so far. I'm just letting her be as of now. I do not disturb her at all.
These are more skittish I like more bold pokies like P regalis, striata ...Ornata is a big chicken that is why she shows fangs so often like OBT.
Just feed your P. metallica well fed with water is should do fine, bark is also great pokies love it.

I have a P. metallica it is a chicken , If I get stuck with a male what are they worth these days? It is unsexed right now.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
It didn't take the mealworm. I bought crickets tho. Any advice on how I should "use" them?

cold blood

Staff member
I bought crickets tho. Any advice on how I should "use" them?
Don't smoke them :wink:

I'd just drop one in and let the t go to work...but considering its reluctance to feed you may want to try pre-killing a big on and leaving it near where its sitting.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I picked the smallest, removed the hind legs and put it in the Тs container. I always fed it dead/near dead prey. Time to try with a lively meal.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I picked the smallest, removed the hind legs and put it in the Тs container. I always fed it dead/near dead prey. Time to try with a lively meal.
Mine has always been a slow eater, I generally have to leave the legs on just so it gets interested in a cricket. Of course even without legs a cricket needs to be watched, fortunately my pokies will just kill the crickets if they don't want to eat them and throw them in a corner where I can pick them up.

These are more skittish I like more bold pokies like P regalis, striata ...Ornata is a big chicken that is why she shows fangs so often like OBT.
Just feed your P. metallica well fed with water is should do fine, bark is also great pokies love it.

I have a P. metallica it is a chicken , If I get stuck with a male what are they worth these days? It is unsexed right now.
My metallica will throw a pose if you look at him funny and proceeds to walk around the container, pauses, gives a pose and repeats a few times; makes my P.muticus look like a kitten.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
All my Big NW species & N cromatus are way meaner than my 4.5" P.muticus. MY 6 OBT's however show the most threat displays.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My P metallica doesn't web much. She is very good at catching prey without a web. She also never walks on the cork bark, which is weird. I added in some sphagnum moss and I saw her moving it around the other night, which was kind of cool. However she is very skittish, but not very defensive at all. I did a rehouse the other day and she was just scared. She gets scared pretty easily. Never seen a threat pose. It's really cute actually :p

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Today I tried a different approach - I got a cricket leg and with the help of a pair of tweezers I "danced" a bit with it infront of the T whilst touching its palps a little then I dropped it near the T. When I came back a few hours later I saw it had moved it near the place where it usually stays, but wasnt and still isnt eating it. How would you guys interpret that? A sign of interest, or something else?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Today I tried a different approach - I got a cricket leg and with the help of a pair of tweezers I "danced" a bit with it infront of the T whilst touching its palps a little then I dropped it near the T. When I came back a few hours later I saw it had moved it near the place where it usually stays, but wasnt and still isnt eating it. How would you guys interpret that? A sign of interest, or something else?
I'd say it's not hungry, just make sure it has some water and try again next week. I have T's go on hunger strikes then decide to eat again without even molting.

domesday

Arachnopeon
I keep them same as how i keep all pokies. all doing well. Feeding them once week with a good sized prey item. Not much humidity. But with a water dish filled at full all the time. Was able to produce two eggsacs of this sp for this year. :)

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Grat's I hope price go;s down even more my sling was too expensive how can you tell if its going to be Male or female from colors? I will not buy another P met until its like $20-30ea lol.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I'm also getting a P. tigrinawesseli this friday it seems. I'm very happy, because that will bring me closer to my goal - collecting all Pokies and breeding them.

Sorry for doubleposting, but I need to ask this fast. So I bought a meteostation and I wonder if its showing the temps correctly. So I have a 2 litre bottle with a 50W aquarium heater set to 33 degrees in a 80-100 litre aquarium. The meteostation is showing 20.9 degrees, but I highly doubt that. Also, we have our air conditioner set to 24 degrees and it shows that the room temp is 24.3.

Your thoughts?

Apparently this P. met thinks it's a Grammostola LOL Still rejects food.

Today I tried feeding it again. It seems rather weak to me and doesn't want to eat. I think it's just going to die, sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Weak. Has a hard time clinging to the sides of the enclosures and some of its legs release when I pick up the enclosure.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Weak. Has a hard time clinging to the sides of the enclosures and some of its legs release when I pick up the enclosure.
I'm not completely sure, and I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that tarantulas have a harder time with climbing and such before molt. Maybe that's all it is?

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Yes, thats true and they're also slower and clumsy, but my P. met seems too skinny. Will update with pics tonight, probably.

Yesterday I saw I had my first N. cinerea babies and I tried feeding one to the P. met. It's still uneaten. I don't get this T. It has humidity, it has 22+ C temps, it has wood, a plastic plant... Everything... :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Chad2008

Arachnopeon
Angel I really think you need to leave it be for a little while. I made the mistake recently of moving my A Avic and in turn it had a poor molt because it didnt have time or maybe energy to build a new web. From what ive seen tarantulas really need to be left to their own design and in this case its not eating. If she is not then there is probably a reason. I would leave it completely alone for a week and see what happens. Just my two cents. Good luck hoping for a nice molt out of her for you!

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I disturb her only when feeding. I've even moved her to a darker place. I'm not checking on her and opening her vial all day, but I'm seriously concerned about her.

Methal

Arachnosquire
u. Keeping a humidifier going 24/7 in it's room is good too (because heaters cause the air to dry out considerably indoors.
Should be noted that this isn't the case. If there is x amount of evaporated water in the air at one temperature there will still be the same amount of evaporated water in the air at another temperature.
Heat doesn't remove water from the air, if anything it increases the humidity by increasing evaporation by means you should have learned in 2nd grade, (11th grade in the USA....if ever...)

The ONLY danger is that heat causes increased evaporation. That could more quickly dehydrate the T and the enclosure.

Dont assume that because its uncomfortable for you, that its also uncomfortable for the Tarantula. Remember that we humans are the fragile species, not the Tarantulas.

take a look around for the guys who actively breed P Metallica and find out what they do for a set up.