Poecilotheria hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
heck look at what they are doing with dogs now...taking some of the ugliest dumbest species and mixing them...man what i could do with some of those dogs, a burlap sack, concrete block and river....

deltakiloworks

Arachnopeon
Sorry, back to the topic. I would agree with the others, that crossbreeding is definitely a bad idea. There are many T species out there that have yet to be discovered. Adding crossbreed in the mix would just complicate the classification and suborder of the current species.

So the answer is No..

No…

No…

charlesc84

Arachnopeon
Sorry that some of us hobbyists actually want to buy a pure species rather than P. miranda x ornata x subfusca. There's no point in hybridizing and as time goes on pure species will fade out. How about you give us some of these benefits you are speaking of?

Tell me how intelligent this is:
You are advocating hybrids yet....

So because they probably won't be in the wild too much longer we should take all the pure species and crossbreed them? I think you are the one who needs a better argument.
That's not the only reason to produce them.

Hybrids create novelty, which creates interest, it makes people care. Also, I don't need an argument. No one can deny the money they would bring in.

Why is everyone assuming hybrids would be the death of the pure breeds? Can someone explain that to me?

If it's such a bad idea, and no one would want them, then why assume it would kill out the pure breeds?

mtyrrell

Arachnopeon
Yes I'm aware of what a hybrid is. I brought up the race issue to bring up a point.
The pokies are all very similar, what makes them different FOR THE MOST PART(yes I'm aware they're from different places) is their coloration.
Calling them different species doesn't matter if they can still breed.
You guys have this absurd desire to try and point out every perceived flaw in a statement you possibly can.
You all know what I'm trying to say, why do you act like you don't?
I don't see the point in playing stupid. I want to see one INTELLIGENT argument on why there shouldn't be hybrids. I bet not one of you has one.

Also, how do you know they would come out ugly? You don't know that, there's no way to know that without actually experimenting.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 03:21 PM ----------

1 good reason is all it takes is for a hybrid to end up in the wrong hands lets say a mm male that gets sent out for breeding labled x species when infact a hybrid. now that male produces several sacks with various females these sacks hatch into thousands of t's with the owners non the wiser that these are hybrids . they all get sold off and do you see what im getting at the amount of damage that can be caused by just 1 hybrid. the bottom line is that if we go down the hybrid road before we know it it'll be near enough impossible to get pure species

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm curious to see what they would look like, I think someone should just do it. I know I would buy one.
You have not listened to one word as to why hybrids can really screw this hobby up. Go find a different hobby,please. Last thing we need is fools buying hybrids,and then breeding THOSE,and totally mucking up this genus,they way Avicularia is. Do some research,and LISTEN to what is being said to you here. There is NO PLACE for hybrids in this hobby.Period....This whole thread just reminds me of Sharpfang and his damn albovagans..

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hybrids create novelty, which creates interest, it makes people care. Also, I don't need an argument. No one can deny the money they would bring in.
Sorry I guess I had the misconception that nobody was interested in tarantulas nor cared about them. Which is made all the more obvious by the existence of this forum.

:rolleyes: Yepp, you got me.

If it's such a bad idea, and no one would want them, then why assume it would kill out the pure breeds?
If nobody wants them, why do it? Also, if hybridizing becomes popular, then idiots would be buying them to crossbreed. Where do you think breeders get their spiders? From other breeders and hobbyists who have what they need. When there are no more P. regalis, breeders won't be able to breed them.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
exactly...and what happens when all these hybrids get mixed up, and someone buys a MM to breed with their pure species, and the MM is a hybrid. then nobody can tell for sure, and they breed them, and make more hybrids, and then pretty soon all of the pure species are gone...and its not like we can just call africa and tell them to ship some more because we had a labeling problem....

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Hybrids create more confusion than they do novelty, and novelty is how every pet shop has a poorly kept T sitting in a dusty corner. So I'll keep my pure OG Indian beauties not something someone looking for a dollar created in their basement.

deltakiloworks

Arachnopeon
It was just an analogy, maybe it wasn't the best one. It doesn't really matter though.
No one has showed any proof that hybrid pokies are bad in any way, shape or from.
When I see the proof I'll believe it, until then it's just paranoia.

Why is everyone assuming hybrids would be the death of the pure breeds? Can someone explain that to me?

True in some of your statements, but think of the inter-breeding and hybridizing bees for example, hybridize bees could produce desirable qualities such as high honey production, breeding, behavior, etc. But there is also a downside to it such as the man-made breeding of Africanized honey bee variety, they tend to be more aggressive. Along the way there will be an advantage and disadvantage of having a T hybrid. So ask yourself, what is your goal in making a hybrid pokie?

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes I'm aware of what a hybrid is. I brought up the race issue to bring up a point.
The pokies are all very similar, what makes them different FOR THE MOST PART(yes I'm aware they're from different places) is their coloration.
Calling them different species doesn't matter if they can still breed.
You guys have this absurd desire to try and point out every perceived flaw in a statement you possibly can.
You all know what I'm trying to say, why do you act like you don't?
I don't see the point in playing stupid. I want to see one INTELLIGENT argument on why there shouldn't be hybrids. I bet not one of you has one.

Also, how do you know they would come out ugly? You don't know that, there's no way to know that without actually experimenting.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 03:21 PM ----------

Did I say that?
I said RACES not SPECIES.

Do you take every statement you hear this literally?
You're the one who made the comparison. It was not an intelligent one. Instead of supporting your argument with evidence or an educated statement, you implied that anyone who is against hybridization is somehow racist. That's not just an incorrect comparison, it's a cheap way to argue your point of view. Comparing hybridizing different species to interracial humans is just preposterous and ridiculous. I'm sorry that you can't admit that it was a poor comparison, but if anyone made a statement like that, they'd be shown their error very quickly.

Also, I have made very valid reasons for why I do not support hybridization. Very valid. More valid than yours in fact (uh, it'll create novelty, and uh, people will buy more), so get off the whole "INTELLIGENT" argument thing. If you can't learn to actually READ someone's posts and actually analyze their statements and assess them, then there's no point in having any sort of conversation with you.

I don't KNOW that an ornata x metallica will be ugly. I would be willing to bet a LOT of money that it would be ugly based on my knowledge of genetics and the inheritance of traits. Also, it's likely a moot point, since I would be VERY surprised if they are even interfertile. That's what tends to happen when one thing is from Sri Lanka and the other is from India for thousands of generations. I mean, I've yet to hear of a successful eggsac from a P. subfusca "highland" x P. subfusca "lowland" pairing.

Which brings me to another point. The designation of species is WAY more complicated than people going around saying "dur...this one is a different color, it's a different species". Also, just because something CAN breed in unnatural circumstances (like a laboratory or someone's bedroom) does not mean they are not highly isolated independent species. It is much more complex than what you are making it out to be. I suggest you don't make claims about things you don't understand.

Really? Hybrids are really going to change the hobby because they create "novelty" and "interest"? Please, if a bright blue spider and over 900 species isn't enough "novelty" for you, then you weren't meant for the hobby to begin with. You're clinging to a ridiculous argument.

jim777

Arachnosquire
Hybrids create more confusion than they do novelty, and novelty is how every pet shop has a poorly kept T sitting in a dusty corner. So I'll keep my pure OG Indian beauties not something someone looking for a dollar created in their basement.
This is a VERY important point. I went into a pet store last night that had a dead T. stirmi in its empty waterbowl. I had seen it in the exact same position about 10 days ago, but I had thought it was alive then. No one noticed it was dead in its cage for days and days, not the customers, not the staff...nobody. Could that happen with a parrot, or a big Oscar, or a bearded dragon or a kitten? I think we all know it couldn't.

Not everyone wants Ts, it's a niche market. That should be plain enough to anyone and everyone who has one. Corrupting this hobby of ours will destroy it for those of us are into it and the animals.

MattInNYC

Arachnopeon
Also I'm not impressed by the P met.
Why not? I'm used to reading a lot of objective product reviews. So objectively what about the species do you dislike? Or what are you "not impressed by"?
It just seems like a weird attitude to me for someone who is interested in any kind of animal. The immense variety of species in the trade is one of the things that makes this hobby so interesting and causes people to keep buying (hoarding in a lot of cases).
There's no species of tarantula out there that I'd say doesn't impress me, I might like the looks or behavior of some more than others, but they're all pretty amazing. Personally I don't keep burrowing tarantulas because I want to be able to see my animals on a daily basis and easily take pictures of them, that's an objective reason.

In my experience just about anyone who is really passionate about a given subject is interested in pretty much every facet of it. For example, I'm into cars, and it's pretty easy to separate someone who's just a fanboy from someone who's actually passionate about them, they're the people who will be saying a certain brand sucks rather than appreciating the variety of different manufacturers having different ways of accomplishing the same goal.
Same thing with cameras, the people who get involved in brand wars like Canon vs. Nikon are the same people who really have no appreciation for photography or the technology involved in camera production.
By the same token, I can't say I know any actual entomologists who would say something like "I'm not impressed with ___ species".

So do you just not like the color blue? Or is P. metallica just too popular and too "hyped" for you to allow yourself to like it? With the elitist attitude displayed by a lot of people on this forum that wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah I'm ranting, I don't care, the amount of negativity on this board is ridiculous. Sorry I'm not cool enough to make a point of mentioning how a certain species doesn't impress me. I guess I don't have refined taste because I think all tarantula species are awesome.

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Admin Note

Oh look, another cross breeding thread. :sarcasm:

Nope, we don't need anymore of those around here ... :wall:

Debby

Status
Not open for further replies.