Poecilotheria hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
probably a bad idea crossbreeding of vary rare species... happened a while back I heard like P smithi... but I dont know if this is a FACT... just word of mouth

do NOT crossbreed.... pokies or any T... hybridization is bad.. were do you find males for the next generation ???

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IMO all poecilotheria sp. are beautiful in their own rights. why try to make a designer pokie in the 1st place? im on the fence with the idea of crossbreeding, however hearing all the NEGATIVE effects, im swayed toward keeping the hobby un-tainted. (for lack of better wording).... i will admit.... one day, when i have one to two of EVERY t known to man.. I will start cross breeding like a MO-FO for my own personal collection:sarcasm:

charlesc84

Arachnopeon
Without knowing your intentions of this thread, I will limit my answer to a few. ;)
I've read of a few that it was done with... Like Smithi/Pedersoni.

I'm just curious to know if anyone has had any success with it. I don't have any intentions I just wanna know.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Obviously you aren't the only person reading this thread so I'll say none :biggrin:

charlesc84

Arachnopeon
Obviously you aren't the only person reading this thread so I'll say none :biggrin:
I don't breed nor do I ever want to. I don't see any sense in being over paranoid about a non issue. You guys are acting like just discussing this could be the end of the world. Hybrids are good and they help the hobby. Again, I'm not a breeder, I just want to know what's out there.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I don't breed nor do I ever want to. I don't see any sense in being over paranoid about a non issue. You guys are acting like just discussing this could be the end of the world. Hybrids are good and they help the hobby. Again, I'm not a breeder, I just want to know what's out there.
This hobby has been burned by people and their hybrids. I completely disagree and think hybrids should remain out of this hobby.

charlesc84

Arachnopeon
This hobby has been burned by people and their hybrids. I completely disagree and think hybrids should remain out of this hobby.
As long as there's reputable breeders (and there is) that continue to sell correctly identified pure breds, why not?

Amoeba

Arachnolord
As long as there's reputable breeders (and there is) that continue to sell correctly identified pure breds, why not?
How do you know you could tell the difference between a hybrid and one of its parents? How would one identify the difference between the pokies?

charlesc84

Arachnopeon
How do you know you could tell the difference between a hybrid and one of its parents? How would one identify the difference between the pokies?
Well, assuming that the hybrid looks IDENTICAL to one of the parents, it would be impossible unless you bred them yourself.

Now, if they look different (which would be great) from either parent, that would introduce a great deal of novelty to the animal and thus make the breeding worth it. Also, I think it makes sense from a business stand point. Having an exclusive animal would = more $.

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh man. I hope I never have to ask for a pie pokie, or a bumble pokie.. I think we should leave the hybrids to other species, but not to Ts.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
The funny thing is if you look at the abortions people have made out of other spiders you'll see that they are just less attractive. Call me a eugenicist for spiders but the novelty isn't worth it. Also the "Mexican Fantasy" (Read: Mexican Nightmare) was given out as a freebie by a certain person instead of being sold for the big bucks you have in mind. I can tell the difference between two Poecilotheria species and wouldn't buy a hybrid, also if you gave me one I would put it in the freezer ASAP.

:) Have a good night.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, assuming that the hybrid looks IDENTICAL to one of the parents, it would be impossible unless you bred them yourself.

Now, if they look different (which would be great) from either parent, that would introduce a great deal of novelty to the animal and thus make the breeding worth it. Also, I think it makes sense from a business stand point. Having an exclusive animal would = more $.
if somethin is priceless, some could also assume its WORTHLESS.... i suggest you use the search function for hybrid threads. there is more cons than pros trust me

charlesc84

Arachnopeon
The funny thing is if you look at the abortions people have made out of other spiders you'll see that they are just less attractive. Call me a eugenicist for spiders but the novelty isn't worth it. Also the "Mexican Fantasy" (Read: Mexican Nightmare) was given out as a freebie by a certain person instead of being sold for the big bucks you have in mind. I can tell the difference between two Poecilotheria species and wouldn't buy a hybrid, also if you gave me one I would put it in the freezer ASAP.

:) Have a good night.
I think people would buy them. Pokies are very popular everyone would want a hybrid. Imagine a P. Metallica the same size as P. Ornata?
Also, why do you keep mentioning that you can tell the difference between 2 pokies? I don't see how this is relevant to my initial question.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 01:57 AM ----------

if somethin is priceless, some could also assume its WORTHLESS.... i suggest you use the search function for hybrid threads. there is more cons than pros trust me
Ok, the other threads are pretty much people saying the same thing. Seems like paranoia to me.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
I think people would buy them. Pokies are very popular everyone would want a hybrid. Imagine a P. Metallica the same size as P. Ornata?
Also, why do you keep mentioning that you can tell the difference between 2 pokies? I don't see how this is relevant to my initial question.
Well you can put me down for zero and I like pokies, if you did a little bit of research you'll find that many others feel the same. You are also basing all of this on the idea that someone would be able to breed two different species, but people have a hard enough time breeding two of the same. My point in bringing that up is that there isn't a tremendous amount of difference between the hobby species and hybridizing them is IMO pointless and stupid.

P.S. I would rather own a P tigrinawesseli or P regalis than a P metallica.

P.P.S. Nature is beautiful without us messing with it.

charlesc84

Arachnopeon
Well you can put me down for zero and I like pokies, if you did a little bit of research you'll find that many others feel the same. You are also basing all of this on the idea that someone would be able to breed two different species, but people have a hard enough time breeding two of the same. My point in bringing that up is that there isn't a tremendous amount of difference between the hobby species and hybridizing them is IMO pointless and stupid.

P.S. I would rather own a P tigrinawesseli or P regalis than a P metallica.

P.P.S. Nature is beautiful without us messing with it.
People say they don't want them... I think they would cave in and order them though, also there's def. a huge interest in it judging by the amount of past threads started and the attention they get. I think there is a decent amount of variety in the amount of species available though. Look at the difference between Ornata, Miranda, Subfusca, Metallica etc...
I think the fact that pokies evolved into so may different species shows how much potential there is there.
Nature isn't being messed with, they would stay in the hobby. Actually, due to habitat loss, they probably won't be in the wild forever anyway. Selling more and creating interest is good for the species.

---------- Post added 01-12-2012 at 02:17 AM ----------

Oh man. I hope I never have to ask for a pie pokie, or a bumble pokie.. I think we should leave the hybrids to other species, but not to Ts.
Color morphs and hybrids aren't the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.